New Indie Cricket Game - Beta testers wanted

John73

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello all.

Firstly, let me introduce myself as this is my first post. My name is John (as you can probably tell by my user name) and I'm a long time fan of cricket, and also a long time programmer (though not games). I've been working on this latest version on and off for just over 2 months, and am about to release a proper "working" Beta version, most likely in the next day or two. It was suggested that I post information about the game here by someone who read my Blog (I'm guessing it as a PlanetCricket Mod - but I'm not positive). So anyway, here I am telling you about it.

I've been planning this game for nearly as long as I can remember, but have only recently found the time to get back into programming.

The game doesn't need anything fantastic to run computer wise - though I am currently only running it in Windowed mode using a window size of 1350x710 which I guess most modern machines/monitors will be big enough to display. Currently it is only available for PC, however the programming language I'm using will allow for this to be cross compiled to Mac & Linux platforms though this won't be available for a little while yet as I don't have access to these platforms to compile on.

Keep in mind that this will be a very early Beta, and there are lots of things that still need to be added, however I'm hoping that the first public release will allow a full Test Match to be played without any crashing.

Anyway, to keep a long story short, you can find out more about the game on my Blog: http://tmcremake.wordpress.com/

If anyone is interested in helping with the Beta testing (it will be an open Beta in anycase), please either download and leave comment here, on my Blog or you can email me directly at [email protected]

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Hi John. It looks like a really interesting project so good luck. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of willing beta testers around.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
It was suggested that I post information about the game here by someone who read my Blog (I'm guessing it as a PlanetCricket Mod - but I'm not positive). So anyway, here I am telling you about it.

It was me. :)

Downloading it now and will see how this works.

John73

School Cricketer
New beta release 0.03b is now up for anyone following the game progression.

Links can be found here: http://tmcremake.wordpress.com/

Getting close to a finished game, or finished with what I want out of this very basic game - next game will be massive compared to this Just need to write the code to handle run outs and end of game and then it's done. Plenty of stuff that could and still may be added, but I'm really wanting to just get this finished to a working stage and then I'll begin work on the real thing - a WAY more comprehensive sim which is based on more stats than any other cricket sim that I'm currently aware of.

sunando

School Cricketer
Downloading it now .... hoping to provide valuable feedback after I play it :)

John73

School Cricketer
Downloading it now .... hoping to provide valuable feedback after I play it :)

Would really love some feedback.

The 0.02b release had over 20 downloads, unfortunately I've had no feedback whatsoever :(

If you think the game sucks, please let me know. I'm planning the next version already, and want to not only target the PC (inc. Mac & Linux) platforms as well as all the mobile (iPad ios, android and possibly Xbox XNA) platforms. Any feedback in what you are all after in the most realistic cricket sim. would be most appreciated.

I should mention that I really like the feature that I've copied from the only 8 bit game where you control whether or not a batsman runs, it gives you a bit more control over convention sims - you can farm the strike if a top order batsman is batting with a lower order batsman..... but if you don't like this or any other feature I need to know :)

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
Hi John, i just downloaded Beta Release 0.03b of your game and played about 15 overs... in between the game, player never get out. i tried get runout but it did not happened... i love your project and i wait for next update of the game... Best of luck for the game...

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Will download it later and I will surely give you a feedback :cheers

Last edited:

saif258

Club Captain
i dont see a btsman or bowler.(i dont select the direction of the shot.all i select is run y/n)is this a prob or was it supposed to be like this.can give a good feedback once i know what its objective is.(is this going to be a game in itself or going to be used to calculate or simulate scores in a bigger game)
any ways current bugs
1.you cant run your self out(even if your short of the crease,the wicket doesn't fall.

2.whatever i select at the toss.i only bat first.(i always have the option to run or not.so this means im batting right?)

positives:
1.the simulation is varied and run rates are real.(some one said the wickets dont fall.they do ilost 2 in 10 overs and realisitc for a test match)
2.shots go all around the ground.

nitpicking(if this is only designed as a score projector mainly)(you can add more variety):

1.the speed which the ball goes should be different for spinners and fastbowlers.if i get ball hit to fineleg for 2 runs ,i should get 1more i.e 3 runs if hit of a spinner as it travels slowly.

i think you ve implementd this in other ways(or im imagining).because i saw that u can get 2 runs for fineleg max while you can get 3 to midwicket.so if you've imolemented this variety then spinner spped can also be taken into account.

AND LASTLY YOU,RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SEE THE BATSMAN OR THE BOWLER ARE YOU?JUAT DOTS AND LINES?

sunando

School Cricketer
AND LASTLY YOU,RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SEE THE BATSMAN OR THE BOWLER ARE YOU?JUST DOTS AND LINES?

tbh you really have to improve on the graphics if you really want to release this game in the market . I feel this could well easily turn into a good mobile game . Its not really fun to play on a PC .

The scores simulation was quite good but it would be better if there were some kind of mechanism to select the direction of the shot depending upon the ball.

Last edited:

saif258

Club Captain
tbh you really have to improve on the graphics if you want seriously release this game in the market . I feel this could well easily turn into a good mobile game . Its not really fun to play on a PC .

The scores simulation was quite good but it would be better if there were some kind of mechanism to select the direction of the shot depending upon the ball.

DO U SEE THE BATSMAN,THE BOWLER AND THE BALL BEING BOWLED?IF YES THEN I DIDNT INSTALL THE GAME CORRRECTLY :facepalmLOL.WILL CHECK AGAIN.

John73

School Cricketer
Hi John, i just downloaded Beta Release 0.03b of your game and played about 15 overs... in between the game, player never get out. i tried get runout but it did not happened... i love your project and i wait for next update of the game... Best of luck for the game...

Thanks for trying it. The code for "run out" is not done yet, hopefully I'll have this finished today.

The game, like most cricket sims relies on random numbers, so it is entirely possible that you you can bat 15 overs without losing a wicket.

For test purposes, I've increase the chance of the player getting out, and this means you can lose 10 wickets for less than 20 runs - not very realistic, but it does make for a quick game. I will look at adding an option today to change the "pitch conditions" - letting the player choose whether they want to play a quick game or a more realistic game which may last 400 to 450 overs.

----------

tbh you really have to improve on the graphics if you want seriously release this game in the market

Agreed 100%. I have posted on another forum that if anyone wants to help with graphics, please contact me. I will try and get something a bit better than "dots", but I am in no way a graphics artist. For the record though, I have no intention currently to release this version of the game to the market as anything but a free game.

I feel this could well easily turn into a good mobile game . Its not really fun to play on a PC .

I quiet like the PC for games, but mobile is where the market is.

I understand what you are saying, but it would take some fine tuning to make this sort of thing work. I don't want the game to turn into something where if you know how to use the "mechanism" whatever it may be, that to you can simply hit 6's and 4's on every ball - or every other ball.

----------

DO U SEE THE BATSMAN,THE BOWLER AND THE BALL BEING BOWLED?IF YES THEN I DIDNT INSTALL THE GAME CORRRECTLY :facepalmLOL.WILL CHECK AGAIN.

No, you currently won't see the bowler running in, or the ball going down the pitch. You should see the ball being hit - represented by a line from the strikers end to where the ball finishes up on the field and a similar line for when a fielder throws it back in.

If you aren't seeing any of this, then there is a graphics issue and I'd need details of your hardware to try and work out what the problem could be.

John73

School Cricketer
1.the speed which the ball goes should be different for spinners and fastbowlers.if i get ball hit to fineleg for 2 runs ,i should get 1more i.e 3 runs if hit of a spinner as it travels slowly.

What I have planned for the next version is far more complex than this overhead version, so yes, the ability to score runs will be different. Currently the game doesn't take into account a bowlers ability (which at this stage will simply be based on his average). The game does not take into account whether or not a bowler is pace or spin either. Obviously this sort of thing needs to be taken into account in a more serious simulation.

i think you ve implementd this in other ways(or im imagining).because i saw that u can get 2 runs for fineleg max while you can get 3 to midwicket.so if you've imolemented this variety then spinner spped can also be taken into account.

I'm not sure how much further I want to go with this version of the game, I have massive plans for a follow up game which would include being able to change the field - so you could then stack the leg side, bowl a leg stump line but if your bowler strays from his line it would mean a long long chase for the nearest fielder with the potential for batsman to run 4.

----------

2.whatever i select at the toss.i only bat first.(i always have the option to run or not.so this means im batting right?)

Well not technically. Whatever you choose will mean either England bats first or Australia bats first.

The game currently has no computer AI built in, so in other words you must either play as both teams or have someone else play with you.

Couple of options here:

Add network play (not easy IMO) so that you can play over the Internet.
Implement AI so that you can play the computer - not overly difficult, but a bit of work would be involved.

Network play is not really a serious option for this project at this stage, computer AI is a possibility but I won't promise it. I really do want to get this as complete as possible so that I can move on to writing something a lot more comprehensive. The idea behind this game was really:

1. Could I recreate the Amstrad version more or less - and I think I've done that plus added to the original a little.
2. Make a game that was stable- which seems to be case as no one has reported any major crashes
3. Get the logic behind the scoring system correct - scoreboard updates correctly, tracks players stats etc.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
I don't get out at all and yeah ran outs are also not working.There is no option to select your team, You need to play for both teams and thats sucks and the last thing i want to point out is that the graphics are horrible.No Harsh Feelings Mate :cheers

Users who are viewing this thread