New Indie Cricket Game - Beta testers wanted

John73

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't get out at all

So what score have you got to? I am curious because I need to know if the code is not working. Best I've achieved is over 100 on the first wicket without loss - believe me, sometimes cricket teams (even Australia) have opening stands in excess of 100 runs :) Now if you consistently get 0 - 300 then I'd suspect that I'd stuffed up the code.

and yeah ran outs are also not working.

Run Outs are now working. I haven't posted the 0.04b version yet with the Run Out code working - I'll do it tomorrow along with some code that allows "pitch difficulty" selection so that you can hopefully see one of your batsman get out :)

There is no option to select your team, You need to play for both teams and thats sucks

Yes I agree. Playing against the computer is far more fun if you have no one to play against in real life. But as I posted earlier today, adding AI to the game is still an option. I haven't ruled this out and in fact if I'm going to release "a version" of this game (much improved I might add) for Mobile devices then it's a given the you'd want to be able to play against a computer or against a real person via a network!

As I posted to someone earlier, this game really is a modern remake of an old 8-bit (read as Amstrad/Commodore 64 era) game. The game I'm remaking had no computer opponent, and that is what I'm hoping to achieve in early releases of this game. I'm not charging anything for the game, just trying to get my head around getting the mechanics of the game of cricket correct before progressing on to a more advanced version where you will be able to play against the computer... and eventually against another person via the Internet.

and the last thing i want to point out is that the graphics are horrible.No Harsh Feelings Mate :cheers

Already mentioned, I'm not a graphic artist, though I do think I made the mower stripes look rather realistic :) The "dots" representing players are simply place holders - not sure if you read the entire project Blog, but I wanted to get the game working 100% before worrying about pretty sprites.

Actually, a little more info about the graphics would be helpful - what don't you like? Is it just the fact that I represent the players as "dots"? or is it more than that? I sort of thought that the other stuff (information Windows - scoreboard, end of over info etc.) looked ok. If you think it looks crap, please let me know and I'll try to remedy it.

I'm more than open to accepting help - if you or someone you know can create some player sprites for me I'd be more than greatful.

No harsh feelings whatsoever, I asked for feedback and I'm grateful for it. Thank you for downloading and trying it out.

Last edited:

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
So what score have you got to? I am curious because I need to know if the code is not working. Best I've achieved is over 100 on the first wicket without loss - believe me, sometimes cricket teams (even Australia) have opening stands in excess of 100 runs :) Now if you consistently get 0 - 300 then I'd suspect that I'd stuffed up the code.

I am consistently scoring 150-200 without getting out

Run Outs are now working. I haven't posted the 0.04b version yet with the Run Out code working - I'll do it tomorrow along with some code that allows "pitch difficulty" selection so that you can hopefully see one of your batsman get out :)

Pitch Difficulty thats a great idea :) hmm cant wait for 0.04b version

Yes I agree. Playing against the computer is far more fun if you have no one to play against in real life. But as I posted earlier today, adding AI to the game is still an option. I haven't ruled this out and in fact if I'm going to release "a version" of this game (much improved I might add) for Mobile devices then it's a given the you'd want to be able to play against a computer or against a real person via a network!

As I posted to someone earlier, this game really is a modern remake of an old 8-bit (read as Amstrad/Commodore 64 era) game. The game I'm remaking had no computer opponent, and that is what I'm hoping to achieve in early releases of this game. I'm not charging anything for the game, just trying to get my head around getting the mechanics of the game of cricket correct before progressing on to a more advanced version where you will be able to play against the computer... and eventually against another person via the Internet.

Hmm ok :)

saif258

Club Captain
2. Make a game that was stable- which seems to be case as no one has reported any major crashes
3. Get the logic behind the scoring system correct - scoreboard updates correctly, tracks players stats etc.

yes you have accomplished this.and specially i like the variation in scroing(though i havent really played it long enough to give a good feedback on this.some one said he scored 100 without losing a wicket, while i was 45 /2 in 12 overs.so thats good.(the pitch idea is brilliant)

-ves:it feels like youre just going through a code .youre actions dont have any changes in result(you dont have many actions actually)

if youre going for that next big project,mention in advance what youre trying to achieve and we guys might give some useful ideas.
the game could click in the mobile market.
cheers.

----------

I'm not charging anything for the game, just trying to get my head around getting the mechanics of the game of cricket correct before progressing on to a more advanced version where you will be able to play against the computer... and eventually against another person via the Internet.

if the main version of the game clicks(and is good)you can charge for it.
in the mobile market the only decent cricket game is STICK CRICKET.
if you can get some good ideas then it can beat that.

John73

School Cricketer
yes you have accomplished this.and specially i like the variation in scroing(though i havent really played it long enough to give a good feedback on this.some one said he scored 100 without losing a wicket, while i was 45 /2 in 12 overs.so thats good.(the pitch idea is brilliant)

A newer version was always going to have pitch conditions. I've updated the code so that you can select the pitch conditions at the start (will upload shortly). It will be easy enough to just vary the pitch conditions every couple of overs or each session or each day which is what would normally happen in a real match.

-ves:it feels like youre just going through a code .youre actions dont have any changes in result(you dont have many actions actually)

The only thing that currently effects things are the quality of the batsman and the quality of the bowler. So those players in real life who average 45+, should way more often than not, outscore tail-enders.

if youre going for that next big project,mention in advance what youre trying to achieve and we guys might give some useful ideas.
the game could click in the mobile market.
cheers.

I will definitely get suggestions, but I don't want to say too much too early - don't want someone beating me to the punch :)

if the main version of the game clicks(and is good)you can charge for it.
in the mobile market the only decent cricket game is STICK CRICKET.
if you can get some good ideas then it can beat that.

Haven't actually looked at ANY mobile cricket games yet, so I probably should do that just to see what's about - from what I've seen while browsing, they are not serious SIM's (though I could be wrong - I haven't looked too much)

Thanks for the comments.

----------

Beta 0.04b is up

MediaFire: TMC Beta 0.04b.zip

DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifi2kkkxl5xf0i7/TMC%20Beta%200.04b.zip

Since the last update:

Run outs now work. This code took me a lot longer to write than anticipated, so I didn't get to add a lot of other stuff I had planned.

Pitch conditions. You now have the choice of how hard the pitch is to play on at the start of a game. Put it on "near impossible" and you'll have a complete Test Match over within an hour of playing.

I'm particularly interested if anyone has time, to let me know if you find any mistakes at all in the run out process. I tested it fairly extensively, and to me it seems to always give out the correct batsman (depending on whether or not they crossed) and also should correctly give runs to the batsman if they say run 2 and then get run out while attempting a 3rd.

Can't remember if it puts the correct player on strike when a run out occurs (i.e. if batsman crossed on 1st run, then incoming batsman should have the strike). Must look into that.

As always - Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Any suggestions for stuff that you'd like to see, let me know - the easier the feature is the more chance that I'll do it as I'm trying to scale back time spent on this project for the next week.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Hey, I downloaded the game ( 0.03), and looks pretty solid. I had a problem that the game just wouldn't quit, I pressed esc, pressed the close button, but nothing happened. Had to terminate using the task manager.
Using Windows 8, 32 bit.

Great effort by the way. I can see this developing into something really good if you continue the hard work :thumbs

John73

School Cricketer
Hey, I downloaded the game ( 0.03), and looks pretty solid. I had a problem that the game just wouldn't quit, I pressed esc, pressed the close button, but nothing happened. Had to terminate using the task manager.
Using Windows 8, 32 bit.

Great effort by the way. I can see this developing into something really good if you continue the hard work :thumbs

Thanks for the kind words :)

Not sure about the quitting problem. The game currently only accepts "ESC" when it is waiting for you to press "ENTER" to bowl the next ball. I really should allow it to happen elsewhere in the code, as well as giving a confirmation message before just quitting.

Closing by clicking on the close window button (x) should also be made to work, will check out what I need to to do here - sure it's nothing difficult.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Also to add that the game stopped working after I minimized / opened another application.

Not really having any issue with the run-rate though :)

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Just thought of sharing this.
attachment.php

Yes, surprisingly Anderson, with Broad lead the English rescue when they were tottering at 218/8.
Trott was the highest scorer with 90, who with Prior (65) had taken England from 90 odd for 5 to something around 200.
Harris picked 5-61 in 23.4 overs.

Have to say that you've done very good on the randomness part John, the other day I was going well at around 230-2 . Run rates have been generally around 3 too :thumbs

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 34

John73

School Cricketer
Also to add that the game stopped working after I minimized / opened another application.

Not really having any issue with the run-rate though :)

I don't think it stops working, it just that after a minimize the app doesn't redraw the screen - so you need to press a key (like Enter to bowl next ball) before it will refresh. This is not ideal, and I knew I had this issue with previous stuff I'd written so I'll look into the cause and get this fixed.

Thanks

----------

Just thought of sharing this.
attachment.php

Yes, surprisingly Anderson, with Broad lead the English rescue when they were tottering at 218/8.
Trott was the highest scorer with 90, who with Prior (65) had taken England from 90 odd for 5 to something around 200.
Harris picked 5-61 in 23.4 overs.

Have to say that you've done very good on the randomness part John, the other day I was going well at around 230-2 . Run rates have been generally around 3 too :thumbs

Nice work :cheers So glad that someone has played an entire innings, and more glad that still no reports of ugly crashes/game end.

Messing around with stuff for mobile devices, I'll try and do a bit more finishing off on this version next week.

saif258

Club Captain
I'm particularly interested if anyone has time, to let me know if you find any mistakes at all in the run out process.

1.run outs are not attributed to a bowler(his wicket count shouldn't increase).
.and the stats randomness is not there for bowlers i guess.

but the batting randomness is very good.played again and appreciated it more actually.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I don't think it stops working, it just that after a minimize the app doesn't redraw the screen - so you need to press a key (like Enter to bowl next ball) before it will refresh.

Works only when we are supposed to press Enter, and not Y/N. Needed to be careful there.

I just continued on the same match, again the randomness in pretty impressive, and yeah no crashes after the finish, but a few bugs :
  1. The game doesn't keep count of the boundaries hit in the 2nd 3rd and 4th innings.
  2. There wasn't a single six hit in the match ( not sure if it is a bug )
  3. There were hardly any batsman getting out in 10-40 range. Most batsman got out in their 40's.
  4. I can confirm that the run outs still don't work ( I'm using TMC 03b )
  5. I just got this unusual problem.
    attachment.php

As you can see, All the balls bowled after Anderson's 13th over were put up in this way ( which includes the overs and the wickets of his partner too ). Or simply, Anderson bowled every ball after his 13th over until I replaced him, and the problem continued when I brought him bak into the attack.
  6. The game didn't end :facepalm
    attachment.php

Aussies had to chase down 220.

Just loved the way how Brits went from 260-4 to 287 all out in the second innings :p
Khawaja was the only batsman to score a 100.

and the stats randomness is not there for bowlers i guess.
Not sure but Agar averages 128 with the ball, and didn't pick up a wicket. I got him to bowl around 40 overs.

EDIT- Just saw your post mentioning TMC 0.4. Sorry just had a look at your blog, and I could only find the 0.3 version there :) But you can still have a look at the other points, which I think have not been specified/corrected in the new update :thumbs

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    960 bytes · Views: 23
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

John73

School Cricketer
1.run outs are not attributed to a bowler(his wicket count shouldn't increase).
.and the stats randomness is not there for bowlers i guess.

but the batting randomness is very good.played again and appreciated it more actually.

Do you mean I'm attributing a wicket to a bowler when a run out occurs? You've said they are not attributed and then his wicket count shouldn't increase?

I'll have a quick look this morning, obviously a bowler shouldn't be given a wicket when it's a run out.

Thanks.

----------

Works only when we are supposed to press Enter, and not Y/N. Needed to be careful there.

I just continued on the same match, again the randomness in pretty impressive, and yeah no crashes after the finish, but a few bugs :
  1. The game doesn't keep count of the boundaries hit in the 2nd 3rd and 4th innings.

1. Wasn't aware of this. Will get this fixed today.
    [*]There wasn't a single six hit in the match ( not sure if it is a bug )

Chances of a six being hit are very very slim at the moment, might need to increase this slightly. I'd have to look at some long term stats to calculate the average number of 6's hit in Test Matches - I'd imagine it wouldn't be more than 3 or 4 max per match. Of course I have nothing to control batter aggression - batsman in a good position or chasing quick runs will more likely hit sixes.[/QUOTE]

[*]There were hardly any batsman getting out in 10-40 range. Most batsman got out in their 40's.

This probably has something to do with the fairly primitive algorithm used to calculate if a batsman is out used in the original game. I'd be looking at a way more detailed algorithm for further games.

[*]I can confirm that the run outs still don't work ( I'm using TMC 03b )

I see you've noticed this has been corrected now :)

[*]I just got this unusual problem.
    attachment.php

As you can see, All the balls bowled after Anderson's 13th over were put up in this way ( which includes the overs and the wickets of his partner too ). Or simply, Anderson bowled every ball after his 13th over until I replaced him, and the problem continued when I brought him bak into the attack.

I've had this happen also, but haven't been able to recreate the problem. The problem is obviously to do with my checking for end of over conditions somewhere along the line. I check if BALLS=6 and that's end of the over, however occassionaly something is going wrong and as you've noticed a bowler can bowl more than .6 overs and then it just continues as the BALLS=6 condition is never met. Will look into this.

[*] The game didn't end :facepalm
    attachment.php

Aussies had to chase down 220.

No sorry, still haven't written the code for the end of game, will try to get it done today.

Just loved the way how Brits went from 260-4 to 287 all out in the second innings :p
Khawaja was the only batsman to score a 100.

Not sure but Agar averages 128 with the ball, and didn't pick up a wicket. I got him to bowl around 40 overs.

EDIT- Just saw your post mentioning TMC 0.4. Sorry just had a look at your blog, and I could only find the 0.3 version there :) But you can still have a look at the other points, which I think have not been specified/corrected in the new update :thumbs

Khawaja scored 100? Must be something wrong with my algorithm for him to even score a virtual 100 :lol

Having Agar in the team is a bit of a problem and guessing other cricket sims may have similar dilemma's - he hasn't played enough games to have an accurate batting or bowling average.

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. You'll be top of the list for a free version if I ever release a paid version of a cricket sim.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Do you mean I'm attributing a wicket to a bowler when a run out occurs? You've said they are not attributed and then his wicket count shouldn't increase?

Yes that is right. The bowler is being rewarded for the run out.

I'm particularly interested if anyone has time, to let me know if you find any mistakes at all in the run out process. I tested it fairly extensively, and to me it seems to always give out the correct batsman (depending on whether or not they crossed) and also should correctly give runs to the batsman if they say run 2 and then get run out while attempting a 3rd.
Can't remember if it puts the correct player on strike when a run out occurs (i.e. if batsman crossed on 1st run, then incoming batsman should have the strike).

:thumbs Everything works well with the run-outs. Correct runs to the correct batsman, decisions given based on whether or not the batsman have crossed, etc. Other than the thing mentioned above, the run-out system wrt the batsman has been correctly implemented :yes
Put it on "near impossible" and you'll have a complete Test Match over within an hour of playing.

Not sure if you meant an hour of play by us or an hour relative to the game :p
It hardly took me 20 mins to complete, and as you've already said about not having written the 'end of the game code', it stopped working when the Aussies couldn't achieve the target of 30 runs.
attachment.php

Personally, I'm not sure if the 'near impossible mode' is actually required. Doesn't do justice to Test Cricket. Couldn't really fathom why you would put this into an otherwise very well programmed game of cricket simulation. Would suggest variations based on Normal, Easy and Hard.

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. You'll be top of the list for a free version if I ever release a paid version of a cricket sim.
That is very kind. Thank you :)
Just doing my bit with the others as we wish you to have a successful project :) Thanks to you for putting your efforts into the sim for the cricket gaming community.

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

John73

School Cricketer
Not sure if you meant an hour of play by us or an hour relative to the game :p
It hardly took me 20 mins to complete, and as you've already said about not having written the 'end of the game code', it stopped working when the Aussies couldn't achieve the target of 30 runs.
attachment.php

Personally, I'm not sure if the 'near impossible mode' is actually required. Doesn't do justice to Test Cricket. Couldn't really fathom why you would put this into an otherwise very well programmed game of cricket simulation. Would suggest variations based on Normal, Easy and Hard.

I pretty much put this option in as it makes it easy for me to test stuff out when I need wickets to fall in a real hurry. I understand that it is not realistic :) and this sort of stuff is what I absolutely hate about the arcade style cricket games that get released. I haven't bought a commercial cricket game in a long, long time because I got the s*%ts with cricket games where you'd either knock 20+ runs every over or get bowled out for 20 runs because you didn't know combinations to press on the keyboard or hit with the joystick.

Not sure where EA is with their cricket games, last one I purchased would have be 10+ years ago - I kept buying them every year in the hope that they'd be more realistic - but was disappointed and close to A$100 out of pocket each time.

I had a quick look at some of the video's of the new Don Bradman game and was absolutely blown away with the graphics - let's just hope they produce a realistic game instead of something that is made to simulate a Test Match within 30mins of playing :)

Users who are viewing this thread