New Zealand

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well I'd say McGlashan and Williamson would have to be 2 of those bench players. It's just the backup bowlers who are causing the difficulties.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
Why go with Bennett? he isn't even that fast. might aswell go for express pace in milne if you want to have a proper fast bowler.

Chewie

BCCI President
Bennett has
1. actually played ODs, not to mention ODIs,
2. got a decent record in those ODIs
3. similar pace to Milne (different speedguns in different countries, I'd say Bennett's only slightly slower than Milne)
4. more deliveries
5. better skill at the death

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
3. similar pace to Milne (different speedguns in different countries, I'd say Bennett's only slightly slower than Milne)

:lol

4. more deliveries
5. better skill at the death

so does every other bowler like mills, tuffey, southee etc. we need something different than the ordinary fast mediums even if he does get hammered. but i'm not saying he should be in the squad unless he can prove himself in the pak series which he wont be able to because of the stupid deadline. :facepalm

Chewie

BCCI President
Honestly though, in India, Southee was registering 125-130 and Mills 120-125, while Bennett was 135-143.

In the Pakistan T20s, Southee was 130-140, Mills 125-135, and Milne 143-150.

And I was responding to your point about Milne being in the squad. Bennett would be a better choice than Milne I'm saying

Chewie

BCCI President
Then how do you argue that Bennett is much slower than Milne

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
Then how do you argue that Bennett is much slower than Milne

because milne actually hit 153+ i dont think bennett could do that here, if he does get selected in the world cup squad he surely must be in the pak series squad so we'll see there.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
thats because of the heat & humidity that they bowl slower.

Yep, so why wouldn't this apply to Hamish Bennett? In Bangladesh he was a good 5-6k's quicker then Andy McKay who in New Zealand was regularly around the 140+ mark but in Bangladesh struggling to hit 140. Likewise in the test series against India, Bennett was clocking in at over 140K whereas Tim Southee was hovering around 130, yet in the 20/20's against Pakistan recently Southee was generally bowling between 137-141.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
If Milne's selected, I think I'll go and support Australia... :facepalm

The only thing he'd bring to our attack is pace, and if you don't have the skills to go with that, you're going to get hammered a lot more than an experienced bowler who bowls 10 km slower.

I'd even take Bracewell ahead of Milne, because at least he has an extra season of domestic cricket behind him. This season Milne didn't play in any of CD's FC matches, and still hasn't made his List A debut. In saying that though, I wouldn't take either.

ferg512

International Coach
Yeah, as I said earlier I'm really liking the look of Bracewell. Maybe give him another season or two though, hes quick enough and was getting some good away swing of what I saw of him in the HRV cup.

I think Milne was just made to look really good by our domestic batsman, who if you are going to be fair don't face that pace very often. At the top level its nothing new, so I think you certainly have to move it or have a good slower ball or something.

I'd certainly have Bennett there, i'm not really his biggest fan but he did bowl some pretty good death stuff against Bangladesh. I think we could have a pretty handy bowling attack for the sub continent actually. If Oram, Vettori, Styris and McCullum all play its almost like playing 4 spinners.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I think Milne was just made to look really good by our domestic batsman, who if you are going to be fair don't face that pace very often.

The thing is he hasn't done anything at domestic level, he was picked 100% on his pace.

He's got smashed more than he's hasn't at doemstic level.

ferg512

International Coach
Yeah you are right, its just there were a few games at the start of the HRV cup where teams were struggling to put him away for 20 off his 4. I'm more interested in Bracewell than Milne tbh. He can bat bowls handy outswingers at good pace. But again hasn't played much domestic cricket. The more I think about it, Milne really should not have been picked for those twenty20s.

I'm still struggling to see why Bates is still nowhere near this squad. If I was him i would be pretty angry at seeing McKay and Tuffey in there. They have had their chance and failed. Even if he does get smashed I would still like to see him get a chance.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not particularly fond of Andy McKay but to say he's failed at the international level is harsh.

ferg512

International Coach
Yeah sorry, I'm just extremely frustrated how he makes all the teams because he supposedly bowls 150 ks. Give Bates a chance, yeah he might not do great but at least give him a go so we can see.

Users who are viewing this thread