ODI should be scrapped

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
what you guys think over this issue?

I mean , specially after emergence of t20 format , i dont find any reason of ODI existence now , IMO

Neither ODI having that charm like test matches , nor excitement like t20
and specially when you want to expand this game in new associate countries such as ireland,scotland, IDEA of ODI become meaningless in current time

THere should be only 2 formats of cricket game

TEST and T20

wtachetna

School Cricketer
ODI has no place after starting T20. It takes less time and people can get the game results sooner. ODIs on the other hand are comparatively longer and time consuming for the cricket fans. IMO too the ODI should be scrapped.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I prefer the 2015 ODI world cup to the most recent world t20, which felt a bit like school cricket, hit or get out. The 50 over format is far more nuanced, it actually requires more tactics, more patience, a better handle of the sport and higher quality cricket...cricket being the key word here, not wannabe baseball hits.

In terms of finances, again, the big ODI tournaments bring in more money than the t20 tournaments, mainly from ad revenue. So ODI is here to stay and I'm glad.

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
ODI has no place after starting T20. It takes less time and people can get the game results sooner. ODIs on the other hand are comparatively longer and time consuming for the cricket fans. IMO too the ODI should be scrapped.
true , atleast if they want to keep odi format still alive , better we reduce it to 40 overs at least and this format should be played within world cup or other icc tournament like champions trophy , no bilateral ODI series within two countries

Only test and t20 should be played in a series

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I prefer the 2015 ODI world cup to the most recent world t20, which felt a bit like school cricket, hit or get out. The 50 over format is far more nuanced, it actually requires more tactics, more patience, a better handle of the sport and higher quality cricket...cricket being the key word here, not wannabe baseball hits.

In terms of finances, again, the big ODI tournaments bring in more money than the t20 tournaments, mainly from ad revenue. So ODI is here to stay and I'm glad.
bro this is time when crowd is looking for fast pace action in short time span, why they would like to watch 8-9 hours of play . you just go and analyze the match results for last few ODIs, mostly either would be one sided or time consuming and other thing , if we really have to think about expansion of this game into other countries such as IRELAND,scotland,netherland , ODI or test format can never be successful this way . with t20 only we have chance to take this sport on real global level

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
bro this is time when crowd is looking for fast pace action in short time span, why they would like to watch 8-9 hours of play . you just go and analyze the match results for last few ODIs, mostly either would be one sided or time consuming and other thing , if we really have to think about expansion of this game into other countries such as IRELAND,scotland,netherland , ODI or test format can never be successful this way . with t20 only we have chance to take this sport on real global level
Yeah, that's why we see packed houses in ODIs in India, Bangladesh, England, Australia, South Africa and sometimes in Sri Lanka and New Zealand as well. And if Pakistan played at home, you'd see a packed house even in Tests, let alone ODIs.

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Yeah, that's why we see packed houses in ODIs in India, Bangladesh, England, Australia, South Africa and sometimes in Sri Lanka and New Zealand as well. And if Pakistan played at home, you'd see a packed house even in Tests, let alone ODIs.
Packed house in test , if it was a joke? :) Test cricket is only for tv viewership ,believe me and if you are talking about crowd attendance in odi and t20, even a domestic t20 league match working better as a crowd puller than even any big event ODI match. just look at the IPL 2016 that current running one, almost all matches are full packed

Guys whatever your opinion might be, but the fact is, in 21st century people really don't have time to watch a full one day or test cricket match, and, believe me, T20 format is not child's play, this format requires some other skills type, look at the Australian T20 record, those guys consistently have failed in WT20 tournaments.

And one more thing, if we really think about the expansion of cricket in other countries like (few European ones, Japan, China) then only T20 format might get help you.

T20 is future of cricket (it's a fact).

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
ODI cricket has place. Almost everyone on this site have said they prefer ODI...

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
ODI cricket has place. Almost everyone on this site have said they prefer ODI...
look i am a big cricket lover and for me test is the real platform for showing skills , but someday sometime this sport would have need to expanded out to make itself more global , and this format(test) does not fit for suggested purpose. Only T20 format can be the key here.

ODI should be limited to world cup or major icc tournament only.

Even last asia cup were played in t20 format and proved a much better commercial success than its all earlier last years version.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
There is room for both formats, and ODI is definitely very popular on the international level.

World T20 and World cup 2015 viewership were on similar levels. Ditto for revenue

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
There is room for both formats, and ODI is definitely very popular on the international level.

World T20 and World cup 2015 viewership were on similar levels. Ditto for revenue

"World T20 and World cup 2015 viewership were on similar levels."

From where you have done your research? as per my knowledge and gathered data from internet , its clear that wt20 format go much ahead than world cup in terms of revenue and tv viewership.

source - ICC T20 World Cup was watched by 730 million viewers in India - The Economic Times

The ICC World Twenty20 that ended earlier this month saw cumulative in-home TV viewership in India reach 730 million, an increase of 114% over the previous edition.

The India versus Pakistan encounter rated 17.3 across the Star Sports network and Doordarshan in India, becoming the best rated Twenty20 game ever since the final of the World Twenty20 in 2007. It reached 83 million people in the country.

South Africa-based broadcaster SuperSport saw ratings increase by 32% compared to the last edition of the ICC World Twenty20 two years ago, while in the UK, the men's final saw a peak audience of 2.45 million, which is a record for any cricket match broadcast on Sky Sports.

In the United States of America, on Willow, the coverage was watched in over 1.4 million television households.

Read more at:
ICC T20 World Cup was watched by 730 million viewers in India - The Economic Times

Read more at:
ICC T20 World Cup was watched by 730 million viewers in India - The Economic Times

IPL makes Sony Max second-most watched TV channel
IPL makes Sony Max second-most watched TV channel - Livemint[DOUBLEPOST=1461608577][/DOUBLEPOST] Time to stop beating a dead horse

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
^^First of all, congrats on that post. If it is unread-ability you were going for, you succeeded with flying colors

And if world t20 had a viewership of 730million in India, then world cup 2015 had viewership of 635 million in India. It is lesser, but still SIGNIFICANT.

Also, since you bring up the 83million that tuned in to watch India v Pak

India's semi-final clash with Australia broke the record with 309 million Indians tuning in to see India battle it out to reach the finals. In comparison, the India-Pakistan group stage match was watched by 288 million people in the country.

source: ICC World Cup 2015 was watched by 635 million viewers in India - timesofindia-economictimes

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Interesting , thanks for sending me this link . but here you also can see , WT20 have almost 100 millions more viewership , if its not enough let me send some more data please ,

List of sports attendance figures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here WT20 2016 records are not updated So i am putting up IPL 2014 session and big bash league as a comparison to World cup 2015

Average crowd attendance for IPL 2014 session are 31,750 and 29,443 for Big Bash league 2015 (better use ctrl+F) :)

Where as World cup 2015 figures are significantly low - 20,743

So even domestic level T20 leagues are way popular than 50 over world cup format

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
In terms of a format ODI is better as you can use tactics and isn't over in a blink. The teams aren't filled with medium pacers and big guys with huge bats swinging at everything...

Users who are viewing this thread