Offbeat, original music.

mukund_nadkarni

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello folks! Well, I thought there should be a separate thread where members can critique, comment and recommend music that does not necessarily fall under the popular or rock music genre.

My personal favourite, Pink Floyd, I'd imagine would fall under such a category, their music being more often classified as psychedelic. They are are however very popular.

However, the band I had in mind while starting this thread is Indian Ocean. Wonder if anyone here has listened to them. They are an Indian rock-fusion band. And no ordinary band either. Comprising of some extremely talented musicians, especially the virtuoso guitarist Susmit Sen who has an extremely unique style of playing the instrument, the maverick tabla player Asheem, drummer Amit and bass guitarist Rahul, Indian Ocean has a sound very unique to the band. I haven't heard music similar to Indian Ocean elsewhere. Essentially based on Indian rhythms and traditional classical compositions, it is amazing how harmoniously they blend it with the western instruments they practice.

Any such bands you know?! Bands that produce fabulous music, but are under-rated or are not popular for reasons other than the quality of their music?

Last edited:

.Mob

International Coach
Avial. Debut album is just incredible, but I'm sure nobody on here has heard it. :p

In terms of Fusion bands though, I love Mahavishnu Orchestra, Shakti, and I guess Tabla Beat Science are a fusion band of sorts. I've read about Indian Ocean, been meaning to try them.

mukund_nadkarni

Club Cricketer
I have heard of Mahavishnu Orchestra and Tabla Beat Science. Also Shakti was founded by John McLaughlin, the same guy who founded Mahavishnu Orchestra. Needless to say Shakti is simply amazing. I'll be giving Avial a try.:happy

.Mob

International Coach
Look forward to it, mindblowing stuff.

I was aware that McLaughlin created was the founder, haha, but yeah, really amazing stuff. I just love it when they just break off and go into their own world and just jazz it out, great to listen to.

Niv

Club Cricketer
If anyone is interested in industrial rock/techno then The Mess Hall is the band to look for. They are an up and coming Australian duo who released their debut album 'Devil's Elbow' earlier this year.

.Mob

International Coach
Baiju from motherjane, though, the greatest guitarist we ever brought to the world, probably. motherjane are extremely talented btw, definitely worth looking at. Also, how was Avial?

Same guy uploaded more, if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

.Mob

International Coach
Urgh, my post got deleted, my bad.

So anyway, dare I say it, Baiju from motherjane is probably the greatest guitarist to hail from India.

http://in.youtube.com/user/afelixj

He had uploaded some stuff, so check it out! motherjane are also a talented band, worth a look at. Also, how was Avial?

.Mob

International Coach
Naw, I prefer 65daysofstatic, and Pelican. By the sound of things, Russian Circles too, only really heard "Death Rides A Horse" though. But to be fair, I've only heard bits and pieces of youtube and their myspace, so need to look into them more. Best album?

mukund_nadkarni

Club Cricketer
I've been listening to Avial these past few days, and I dare say it's arguably the best Indian modern-rock act ever! Of course there are not many there in the first place, but still, among the few that do exist Avial is the very best. The music is great. Especially impressive, for an Indian band, is the professionalism in the way the tracks have been executed. And for once the drumming is really good, which is usually the bane of new bands in this part of the world.

Actually Mob you failed to mention it's a Malyalam rock band. I couldn't locate their songs for quite some time!:p Also I think they sound a bit like Linkin Park, what say?

.Mob

International Coach
Hahah, my bad.

They sound like them in some sections of the songs, because of the whole scratching DJ thing, but they take LP to the cleaners because of their creativity. The whole album is just a masterpiece, every single member is very talented, and all their songs are like they are written by different artists, they are so unique. Brilliant band.

A pity the vocalist left, his vocals were perfect for the band, although John (the DJ guy) is quite a good vocalist himself, so I am eagerly awaiting a second album, and my life will be more fullfiled if I can manage to see them live.

Also, another superb band from Kerala, although singing in English, are motherjane. Consisting of dare I say it, the best guitarist India has ever produced. I don't mean Bass Guitar, the Electric Guitar.

Edit: I agree greatly on the professionalism part, it is what makes them stand out from the rest. Sure they have superb talent and whatnot, but the way it has been produced into this album, is truly commendable. Every song is just brilliant in it's own way, and nothing sounds filler-ish.

I love the bassist tbh, what a talent he is. <3
He has played for Kailash Kher too, btw.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread