Overall Internet Security Suites

You don't need to pay for anti-virus. I've owned computers for 5 years with AVG installed, and never had a virus. My parents have had a virus though and they had McAfee.

Thanks for your input. :) I haven't had any problems with Zone Alarm firewall on Win 7 - what's been happening for you?

Seemed to slow my system down, besides the Windows firewall is actually quite decent on Win7.

Chewie - Free anti-virus software is free for a reason.

Zone Alarm eats up your system. Don't think too much about KIS. Its being rated high for a reason and its not resource hungry.

AVG has a paid version and a free version, but the free version gets exactly the same definition updates, and has most of the same features.

Some of the free ones are more highly rated than some of the paid ones.

Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG are both pretty good for free anti-virus software

AVG has a paid version and a free version, but the free version gets exactly the same definition updates, and has most of the same features.

Some of the free ones are more highly rated than some of the paid ones.

Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG are both pretty good for free anti-virus software

Sorry I do not agree.. Avast is the Best as AVG sometimes sucks badly

Seemed to slow my system down, besides the Windows firewall is actually quite decent on Win7.

It's nothing to do with the antivirus. It's the support that's missing.
Free products generally don't offer any support, while, if you buy the same, you're getting access to their support cell.

If you know you can manage without the help of others, I don't see why I should be paying for something I'm not going to use. Heck, I have the Server edition of Quickheal, which costs me about $400 an year, but I havn't used their 'support' yet. If I can do it myself, I can't be bothered to call and explain the situation.
Yes, at times it might just be necessary, and that's exactly what I'm paying for.

On my personal laptop I'm using Vipre antivirus, which 'apparently' is one of the best in the world! (Can't really say I'm happy with it though, Ever since I've installed it, my explorer crashes and boots up again on each restart. Windows 7 has awful compatibility with antivirus software)
They have a dirt cheap license in India - just about $5-6. In the US though, it costs around $30, I think.

Last edited:
I think most anti virus in India are cheaper than their USD price.

I use Kaspersky, hasn't given me any problems and the newest version seems to be a lot more efficient and less of a resource hog. Also tried Bitdefender which isn't too bad either. I was checking the AV Test and it said Bitdefender only slows your computer by 29s compared with the industry average of 251s. Webroot was rated the best by Internet Security Suites Software Review 2010 - TopTenREVIEWS but I found it slowed the computer down quite a bit. But Webroot have the best anti-spyware of the lot but not enough advantage in it to switch me over.

I use Kaspersky, hasn't given me any problems and the newest version seems to be a lot more efficient and less of a resource hog. Also tried Bitdefender which isn't too bad either. I was checking the AV Test and it said Bitdefender only slows your computer by 29s compared with the industry average of 251s. Webroot was rated the best by Internet Security Suites Software Review 2010 - TopTenREVIEWS but I found it slowed the computer down quite a bit. But Webroot have the best anti-spyware of the lot but not enough advantage in it to switch me over.

Right now, I'm using AVG, Spybot S & D and Adaware. Would an Internet Security Suite do all of those jobs in one package?

The main thing I get from the Internet Security suite is the anti-virus + firewall. The spyware, etc are scanned when you do a virus scan but I always find it handy to have other programs to assist as I notice they leave some behind. If you get Kaspersky you will need to uninstall Adaware before you reinstall it. Adaware itself is now a virus scanning software.

The main thing I get from the Internet Security suite is the anti-virus + firewall. The spyware, etc are scanned when you do a virus scan but I always find it handy to have other programs to assist as I notice they leave some behind. If you get Kaspersky you will need to uninstall Adaware before you reinstall it. Adaware itself is now a virus scanning software.

OK - so Spybot could stick around and be the back up. One thing concerned me a little when I went to d/l the Kaspersky trial - it seemed a bit intrusive - it collects info about your system, browsing habits, installed software and several other things. Not too sure about that.

I use Avast. But since it's the antivirus and not the Total Internet Security, I have to keep an Anti-malware with me too. I am currently using Malwarebytes.

Users who are viewing this thread