all you need to know about the ps3: price reduced

kmk1284

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
by: Charles Husemann
Brother can you spare 6000 dimes?

After Sony's press conference last month there was a lot of bitching and moaning across the great World Wide Web. People far and wide bemoaned the high price of the system, the new controller, the dual PS3 configurations and the lack of quality games that Sony showed off. I might have even kvetched a little bit of it myself but after a few weeks of sitting back and looking at the situation it's really not as bad as the internets have made it out to be.

As GamingNexus' resident Microsoft apologist/fanboy it is a bit odd for me to write an article defending Sony. If anything you would expect someone like me to pile on, heaping scoopful after scoopful of fanboy diatribe and scorn on Sony. But that would be the easy way out, that would be the path of least resistance, that's what IGN would do. Instead of writing yet another "PS3 g0t pwn3d by Nintendo and Micro$oft" article I decided to try and see the world from Sony's perspective.

This article has taken a while to write as various Sony executives have made some entertaining and down right baffling statements that has made writing this article exceedingly difficult. While a lot of these can be chalked up to the usual bluster and chest puffing that precede a major console launch, some of the statements have been downright mystifying and bizarre. Saying that the PS3 is going to be as powerful as a PC is one thing but saying that it is going to replace one is thinking just a little too far outside the box. Never-the-less I?ve pushed on with this article. Saying that you?re considering that you will customize the devices to consumer specifications is also a bit baffling as you tend to lose the main advantage that consoles have over the PC gaming market.

The biggest issue is the price of the units. Let's be honest, $599 or $499 is a lot of scratch to put down for a gaming console. If you are earning minimum wage you'll need to work over 110 hours to come up with the coin to purchase the top end configuration. If you are an overpaid technology consultant you're looking at a little over 17 hours to earn the money for the console but the point is still valid. You are going to have to save up and pinch pennies if you want to have one of this sitting next to your TV in November (assuming that you can find one).

While the price is certainly high, the main problem with is that of expectations management. I'm not sure why the expectations for a cheaper console came from as Sony has been saying since last year that the thing was not going to be cheap. Of course that didn't stop all the analysts, bloggers, and mainstream gaming sites from saying that the unit would be price competitive with the Xbox 360 (which it is to a degree)...blithely ignoring the proclamations from Sony they started setting a new set of expectations and unfortunately for Sony that's what stuck.

Why is the unit so expensive? Because there a lot of brand new cutting edge technology in the device and we all know that bleeding edge technology does not come cheaply. The PlayStation 3 is more than just playing the next Grand Theft Auto game or the next Ratchet and Clank game. It is about creating an entertainment hub in your living room. It is about doing more than saving the planet from pixilated pirates and aliens. It is about a complete home entertainment system that covers everything from games to movies to your family photos.

Another thing to factor into the price of the equation is that how long that PS3 is going to be sitting next to your TV. Unlike Microsoft, Sony does not completely write off development/production of a console after the next version comes out. The fact that Sony has just recently stopped production of the PSOne gives you some idea of how long Sony keeps cranking out their platforms. If you factor this in with the financial concept of amortization you can easily justify the cost by spreading the cost of the device out over it's lifetime. So $600 over the six year lifetime of the device and that's only $100 or so a year. Divide that by the number of hours you play it a year and the cost isn't really that high. If you factor in the time spent watching Blu-ray movies, photos, or what else you'll do on your PS3 you are further spreading out the cost of the system. Is it a bit of a stretch? Well yeah but for gamers rationalization is a tricky thing.

The price (and likely initial console shortages) will limit the adoption initially but as the PS3 gets bigger and once the console gets its Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter, gamers will be clamoring to get their hands on the system no matter what the cost is. Plus by announcing the price of the system five months in advance it will give gamers enough time to stock away the cash they'll need to purchase the system.
Ever hear of XEROX PARC?

Of course one of the primary reasons why the system costs so much is the inclusion of Sony?s new high definition Blu-ray technology. While most seem to view this as the latest in the line of proprietary formats this one is a bit different as Sony actually has the support of most of the major motion picture studios this time. This means that when all of the good movies start hitting shelves you?ll be able to watch them on your $600 PS3 instead of watching them on your $1000 Blu-ray DVD player. The extra capacity on the discs should also provide developers with the ability to place even higher quality textures and movies on the discs. This means that we?ll get better quality graphics without have to swap discs in and out.

A lot of people consider the new wireless controller to be a blatant ripoff of the new controller for the Wii. These are probably the same people that think Apple came up with the Graphical User Interface and the mouse (guess what they didn't). I'm not saying that that the Wii isn't innovative, new or cool but rather that the technology has been around in one form or another for years and that they've done a good job of taking existing tech and re-packaging it in a more consumer friendly way. Sure we?ve seen the technology before and maybe Sony is just dusting it off for another run.

What?s different and possibly better about the PS3 solution is that you get the benefit of the new control scheme but also compatibility with the last two generations of Playstation games. The control scheme is exactly the same and you don?t have to worry about extra controller sleeves or extra controllers when you want to play older games. Your games are going to play exactly the same and you aren?t going to have to learn a new controller scheme just to play an older game.

Another benefit of Sony?s controller direction is that you will be able to turn it off and play without it. Nintendo?s ?Wiimote? while slick is also limiting in that the game is going to have to support it and not every developer is going to want to sink money into something that may just be a niche controller. It also means less strain on your arms and muscles. Sure it?s cool to be able to play video game tennis by making a swinging motion but are most gamers going to be up for playing something like that for more than an hour or two at a time? Are most gamers going to have the stamina or desire to play a virtual nine holes of golf after a long week at the office? I would gander that Nintendo fan boys will be easy to spot at E3 next year as they are going to have one very well developed arm and one skinny arm.

It?s also been noticed that Sony?s controller will lack force feedback and while it sucks, it shouldn?t be that much of a surprise given the new motion technology and Sony?s inability to come to an agreement with Immersion Solutions. That said it?s a shame that the two companies couldn?t come to some agreement as it does hurt both companies and gamers in the long run.

Another item of concern is Sony?s decision to release two different configurations of the PS3. A premium configuration as well as a lower end configuration with a smaller hard drive, no built in memory card slots, HDMI port, or wireless networking. This decision was probably made when Microsoft their dual SKU strategy and the logic for it is the same. The dual SKU?s provide consumes with choice and with the exception of the HDMI port, consumers who purchase the lower end system will be able to purchase add-ons that will allow them to have the same functionality as the higher ends system. The HDMI port of course is the real rub here as the HDMI port is supposed to handle part of the copyright solution for Blu-ray movies. However Sony has guaranteed that those who purchase the lower end configuration will be able to play Blu-ray movies. I still don?t think that a dual SKU system is a good thing as it confuses the non hardcore consumer but like I said earlier once MS did it you had to bet that Sony would.
Sony duped Xbox Live?

I?m also a bit mystified that people are considering that Sony?s online service is a copy of Microsoft?s Xbox Online. This like the controller ?copying? is just an evolution of something rather than just copying it directly. Aggregating demos, online content (like game trailers and videos), setting up multiplayer matches, and micro transactions is nothing new as to a degree America Online and other content providers have been doing it for years if longer. All Microsoft has done is to create a successful service that brings a concepts together in a customized interface for the Xbox 360. I?m also curious why people aren?t saying that Nintendo?s virtual concept isn?t just a knock-off of Xbox Live arcade, it?s the same concept right?

What Sony is doing differently is that they aren?t going to charge for multiplayer matchmaking like Xbox Live does and they are creating an open system so that developers aren?t constrained to their system?they just provide the hook-up to that system (whether or not game companies charge for matchmaking services on their end is a slightly different matter).

The real X factor here is whether or not Sony leverages their large content library or not. While Microsoft and Nintendo are gaming power houses the one area they really can?t compete with Sony is the amount of media content (movies and audio) that Sony has in house. We all know that Spiderman 3 is going to be one of the biggest movies of the year in 2007, what if Sony released a few PS3 only trailers? What if the Blu-ray version of the movie included some playable content or some mini-games that you could only play on a PS3? We could also see Sony releasing songs and music videos in advance on their service which would give them a huge boost on Microsoft and Nintendo who have to go to third party companies to get content like that. Sony could also release a music service that would allow you to purchase and play songs on both your PSP and your PS3.

I think this covers most of the main beefs of the system. I?m not going to touch on what seems to be a fairly weak launch lineup so far as Sony may have a few cards up its sleeves and that most launch lineups are usually pretty weak. To be honest this article was a little harder to write than I thought it would be as it is not always easy to write against popular opinion. That said I am looking forward to seeing what other surprises Sony has in store for us as we get closer to the launch line up and I?m already working on the paperwork to take the day off before the system launches to stand in line at my local electronics retailer.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Ritwik said:
A very good article. Should be a must read for all microsoft apologists on this board.
u said it. ;)

there was one thing that the article cleared up for me.I thought that Sony's online service was paid, like XBOX live.It is not, however, developers might ask for a royalty for matchmaking service.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
That article is longest I ever seen, and it's great even though I only read the first line :p.

kmk1284

Club Cricketer
blu ray wont fail with all thesony backup from their media business, the cell is something that im worried about.
there might be hardware issues at launch as the technology here is not only next gen but completely new too, even the xbox 360 had hardware (even now it has) faults on launch even tho all it used was the most powerful components of existing technology

kmk1284

Club Cricketer
Comic-Con 2006: PSP = PS3 Remote

July 21, 2006 - If you didn't take the time to attend Sony's "PSP University" at the San Diego Comic-Con this morning, here is the only notable news you missed:

It turns out that the PSP will "definitely" work as a remote control for the PS3. According to the speaker, it will have additional functionality and interactivity with Sony's next-generation PlayStation 3, but more details weren't revealed.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/720/720195p1.html

Entertainment has filed for a patent which could end up being an answer to Nintendo's Wii controller.
Japan's Nikkei Net reports via its "Tech On" technology site that Sony Computer
The patent describes a technology for reading three-dimensional positional and directional information for an input device using a single two-dimensional camera. The patent specifically states that this technology could be used to control action in a videogame. It even goes so far as to suggest a use as an alternative for a joystick when creating game interfaces.

According to Nikkei, the special feature of the Sony technology is that it manages to grab 3D information about an object using a single camera rather than a pair of cameras.

Sony filed for the patent on December 5, 2005, Nikkei reports, but the information was made public only on the sixth of July. The following image was included as part of the filing.

E3 saw the unveiling of two motion-sensing PS3 products from Sony. The system's controller was shown for the first time with motion sensors, allowing it to detect limited motion. Additionally, Sony demonstrated its next-generation EyeToy camera, using the device to recognize player-manipulated cards as part of a card-based RPG.

Presumably, if the technology mentioned in this patent becomes a part of the PlayStation 3, it would be through the EyeToy.

kmk1284

Club Cricketer
PlayStation 3 Is Actually $500

At E3 2006, Sony stunned the gaming world by declaring the price of the PlayStation 3 as $600. All of a sudden Nintendo and Microsoft had a field day by proclaiming victory against the electronics giant. Fan-sites, message boards, developer polls, everywhere you looked people were saying how ridiculous the price of the PS3 is. $600 for a game console is simply too much money, regardless of what you?re getting inside the box. To this I couldn?t agree more. Sure I understand that $600 is cheap for what you?re actually getting. I mean the first generation Blu-ray players alone are $1000. But what happens if you aren?t interested in Blu-ray movies in the least? Did we see anything at E3 that proved to us that gaming would benefit from the use of a Blu-ray disc? I think the answer is a resounding ?No!?

Sony failed to get the message across that Blu-ray was crucial because people were far too interested in that $600 price tag. Almost everything Sony revealed at E3 took a backseat to the price point. I think this is where Nintendo was smart to announce the name of the Wii before E3 had began. I?m certain the same thing would have happened to Nintendo had they announced the name at E3, people would have been so focused on the name they wouldn?t have paid as much attention to everything else. By Sony unleashing such a bombshell at E3, people didn?t stop to take notice of everything else Sony had said. Perhaps the biggest factor that was overlooked at E3 was the fact that the PS3 will be released in two different SKUs. Sony has Microsoft to thank for the massive confusion that?s going on as you read this.

When Microsoft announced the Xbox 360?s pricing people were immediately taken back by the sheer stupidity of the core bundle, which included a hard-drive-less console, a wired controller and that was about it. For $400 you got a 20GB HDD, a wireless controller and a slew of extra goodies such as a remote control to watch your DVD movies. Virtually everyone that has bought an Xbox 360 has picked up the $400 model over the $300 model for the simple reason that the core bundle was a waste of money compared to the higher end model. Because of this fact Sony?s found themselves in a very rough position, as is clear from the lack of interest in the $500 PS3. The purpose of this article is to shed some light on why, unlike the 360, the core bundled PS3 is perhaps the better buy for most gamers out there.

Every time someone mentions the price of the PS3 it?s automatically $600 which is completely false. Take a good hard look at what you?re getting for $600. You?re getting a 60GB HDD, memory card expansion slots that include SD cards, memory stick/duo and compact flash. You?re also getting WiFi enabled connectivity to your PSP and to the Internet. That?s not all though, you?re also getting a wonderfully high-tech HDMI 1.3 port. This HDMI port will allow you to display your Blu-ray movies in wonderful 1080p. Now here?s something you may not realize, virtually all of that stuff is useless for the average gamer, here?s why. First off, that lovely HDMI 1.3 output, guess what, not a single display on the market supports it! Only in 2007 will displays begin to make use of HDMI 1.3. Now about that 1080p resolution, how many people out there actually have displays that go that high? I?m willing to bet that only the hardcore high-definition users out there have displays that go that high. The price of these displays is still far too pricey for the average consumer. This is also why so many PS3 developers are sticking with 720p that the Xbox 360 uses because it?s the standard for high-definition, for right now at least. Sure in four years from now the HDMI port will be useful but will you be buying a new display in that timeframe? Also, in four years time the PS3 will have dropped in price so does it truly matter? I?m sure in four years time Sony will announce a Slim PSthree anyways. Also Blu-ray, are you even interested in Blu-ray at this point in time? The format is a virgin and has yet to prove itself so I know that I?m not overly impressed just yet.

As you can see, some of the ?best? features of the $600 PS3 package will not be useful for a while to come. How about WiFi, well that?s a very useful feature but it?s not worth the extra $100. You might even have a USB WiFi adapter sitting around your house. If not you can easily go out and pick one up for as low as $15. The PS3 will be able to make us of the WiFi adapter just like your laptop does. Oh and about that wonderful 60GB HDD that comes with the $600 model, do you truly need that? If so then go ahead and buy the $600 model but for the average person, the 360 has proven that a 20GB HDD is more than enough. Did you know you can even upgrade the HDD yourself? Any standard Serial ATA 2.5 inch hard-drive will work with the PS3. This means that you are free to upgrade your PS3?s HDD whenever you see fit. Again though, for the average consumer a 20GB HDD will be more than enough for a long time to come.
The last extra feature you?re getting with the $600 model is the memory card ports. Again though, this is just for convenience. Every device that uses these cards can be plugged directly into the PS3 via the system?s USB ports. Remember that the PS3 runs Linux so it?ll have the necessary drivers and whatnot needed in order to read your devices. If you?re going to be plugging in tons of devices then again, go for the upgraded system. For gamers though, do you really need all these ports? Is it worth an extra $100 just so you can shove in your PSP?s memory stick duo instead of just using a USB cable to plug the PSP into the PS3?

When you get down to it, the highest selling Xbox 360 has been the $400 model and for the people that bought the higher end model, the PS3 really shouldn?t be that much of a stretch for them. $500 is going to get you a machine that?s far more diverse than the 360 is. First off you will be getting a Blu-ray player right off the bat, even if you?re not interested in the technology, the fact remains that for $100 you?re getting a sweet piece of technology. The system is able to display crazy resolutions even without that HDMI 1.3 port. So from just a technology standpoint, the $500 model is an extremely impressive buy. You?ll be getting a wireless controller right out of the box; Sony?s not even making a wired controller for the PS3. People need to realize that the PS3 doesn?t start at $600, it starts at $500 and the $500 model is what most people should be looking at. The $600 should be geared at high-definition supporters and high-definition supporters alone. Sony?s got to show people that the $500 model is for gamers and that it?s a fairly sweet deal. Until they do this, everyone from developers to the average message board poster will continue to have a field day with the ?$600 PlayStation 3.?
Jarrod Nichol - Executive Director

http://www.projectcoe.com/sony/editorials/ps3_500.html

Last edited:

Ritwik

co-founder
Did you write all of that yourself ? If not, where is the link to the original article and the author's name ?

hindustani

Club Cricketer
ok the ps3 might look good but the thing is that the 360 is going to be better why price. casual gamers are not willing to dish out 600 for it. with games and accessories enjoy spending 800$ with tax and everything. also the 360 graphics can equal those of the ps3. also that thing is going to be unstable at launch. remember the ps2 . disc read errors all over the us as i remember it. one of my friends ps2 broke a week after launch and he treats everything better than neone else i know. the 360 was unstable with all that crap in it. the ps3 is going to be extremely unstable. also the 500$ ps3 is going to bad too. av cables instead of the hdmi. and the graphics are not going to be as good. i have an hdtv. it has a hdmi port. the ps3 would look far better on that but i would have to dish 100$ more. most gamers have hdtvs. sony is saying that the av cables are going to be just as good. thats BS. before i had a hdtv the 360 looked like the the normal xbox. now with hdtv it looks like next gen. and thats only on component hdmi will rock but still the ps3 is way too expensive. without the hdmi enjoy 360 graphic on something that is overly priced.

Last edited:

kmk1284

Club Cricketer
do you even know how much a stand alone blu ray player costs, the xbox 360 isnt selling as well as Msoft thought other wise ps3 would have been launched by now, only because the ps3 is delayed dosent mean its bug ridden,out of the 5 million units sold s0 far 3.5 have been in america alone elsewhere the figures are europe approx 1 mil, and japan less than 50k ,according to microsoft they wanted a headstart of 10mil units when the ps3 was scheluded to launch in july, they arent even half way there yet,even with the ps3 delay , what does this say that the consumers are willing to wait atleast till the first reports of the ps3 is out

hindustani

Club Cricketer
yes i do no how much a stand alone player costs though still the blu ray player in the ps3 will not be as good as a stand alone player. and yes the 360 is doing very well. you must be joking if you think only 1 million are in europe. here are the official stats. 7.5 millions xbox 360s bought 4 million in the us. 2.5 in europe. 1 in japan.also microsoft wanted 10 million shipped not bought and it was by june that they wanted 10 million shipped. and could u tell me where your sources are.

Milo_LCCC

Club Cricketer
All i can say is that the ps3 will be amazing and i wouldn't worry about there being bugs or problems with the new console as sony have had more than enough time to look at the system throughly as they have delayed the release date 3 times so it will be perfect for when it is released and all problems could be fixed.
AMEN! to sony

Users who are viewing this thread