PS3 and HDTV

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I found this in one of post on gamespot. Its a very useful post if ur thinking of buying PS3 like I am.

Introduction

A new generation is upon us and like many, we are not prepared. Many of you have heard of this thing called HDTV and are wondering if it?s worth all the hype. The simple answer is yes. HDTV creates an image so amazing and so clear that it can be compared to going from black and white to color. Although, the technology is still developing, it?s still a good idea to understand some the key aspects of this new generation and this is where this guide comes in. It will cover the most important elements of HD and give you an edge over others when finally buying the TV.

FAQ

Q: Do I need to buy a HDTV to play PS3?
A: No, you can use the A/V ports and connect your old TV, but you will have a significantly lower quality image.

Q: Can I use my PC monitor to play the PS3?
A: Yes, to use your PC monitor as your screen you will need to find a HDMI to VGA converter or HDMI to DVI converter, depending on what PC monitor you have. (Please see HDTV or PC monitor).

Q: What is EDTV?
A: EDTV is the same thing as HDTV, but it does not have the resolution to provide a true HDTV image.

Comparison

For those that have never experienced HD, here is a comparison.

SDTV Image

HDTV Image

As you can see the image is greatly increased this is because HDTV has four times the resolution of a SDTV (standard resolution television).

Types

There are four main types of televisions you can purchase. Each of them has its own pros and cons so you will have to pick the one the suits you.

The CRT (Cathode-Ray Tube)

Pros
-Cheap.
-If set up correctly and placed in the right area they have the best display out of the four types.
-They produce an excellent black

Cons
-Do not work well in bright rooms
-Need regular maintenance
-Most cannot display computer signals
-Narrow viewing angle
-Softer images then the other four types
-Smaller screen sizes

Final Say
The CRT is an old technology and it?s dying out. Nevertheless if you are on a low budget and don?t need a huge screen, then CRT will is a good choice.

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)

Pros
-Light and thin compared to CRT
-Bright
-No maintenance to keep sharpness
-Most are computer capable
-Prices are dropping

Cons
-More expensive then CRT
-Are not worth the price after 32??
-Lowest black compared to all four types
-Regular Lamp replacement
-Narrow viewing angle

Best Brands
Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, LG

Final Say
LCD?s are a developing technology. The prices are always dropping, while the quality is increasing. If you are looking for a TV lower then 32?? and are on a medium budget, the LCD is for you.

Plasma

Pros
-Can be as thin as 3?
-Wide viewing angle
-High quality image in the best cases

Cons
-Expensive
-Burn-in is a possibility (Burn-in is when an image becomes stuck on the screen for a long period of time. After the 1st 100 hours of watching Burn-in is highly unlikely)

Final Say
The Plasma technology has come a long way in the last few years and it continues to develop. Plasma is the best type to buy when looking at screens larger then 32??.

DLP (Digital Light Processing)

Pros
-Good black level
-No maintenance to keep sharpness
-Computer capable
-Large screen size

Cons
-Expensive
-Needs Lamp replacement
-Makes video noise in dark places
-Have a habit of breaking down (costly repairs)

Best Brands
Samsung, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, LG, RCA

Final Say
The DLP is a new technology that still needs to develop for a few years. They may one day rule the TV world, but not today.

HDTV or PC Monitor

There are a lot questions surrounding whether to buy an HDTV or a PC monitor. The answer is really quite simple. The ps3 is a multimedia device, that will suit all your entertainment needs, but some people will only use it as a gaming console. So, if you only want to play games on your ps3, then go with the monitor. You won?t lose resolution quality and you?ll be paying less. If you want to use your ps3 as multimedia device, then buy the HDTV. You?ll pay more, but you?ll get more entertainment out of the ps3?s extras.

Resolution

Many people seem to have difficulty understanding resolution, but it isn?t as hard some people think.

There are two times of video display modes: Progressive and Interlaced. Progressive means that every single line on your TV is refreshed X number of times in one second. This will give you the sharpest image possible. Progressive is represented as a ?p?. Interlaced means that every other line on your TV is refreshed X number of times in one second. This will give you slightly less sharp image. Interlaced is represented as an ?i?. FPS (frames per second) determines the X. If your TV runs i at 60 fps then every other line on your TV will be refreshed 60 times every second.

Now the resolution means how many pixels are on the screen at one time. If you buy a 1080 TV then there are 1,920x1,080 pixels displayed and if you buy a 720 then there are 1280x720 pixels displayed. There are more resolutions, but these are the most used.

So, a 1080i TV running at 60fps will display 1,920x1,080 pixels and every other line will be refreshed 60 times every second.

This brings us to the question, which is better 1080i or 720p? The answer is simple, both. It all depends on what you are viewing. If you are watching or playing an image that moves slowly then 1080i is the best for that. For example, a golf game would look much better on 1080i then 720p. If you are watching an image that is fast paced then 720p is best for that. For example, a racing game would look much better on 720 then 1080i.

Make sure the TV you are buying has both capabilities, most TVs that support 1080i will support 720p, but it isn?t a guarantee so check first.

There is also a new resolution that combines both 1080i and 720p. It?s the 1080p. Now this is a new technology so not many TVs have it and like all new things it?s quite expensive. In addition, unless you are buying a giant TV (Around 40??) then the 1080p will not make a big difference to you. The difference on a small set is almost impossible to notice.

There is one last thing you need to be aware of and that is native resolution. This is the resolution at which the TV was designed to operate on. It can still display images of higher and lower resolution, but it must convert the image making it slightly degraded.

Widescreen

If you are going to invest in a HDTV then you should also look into widescreen. What widescreen does is display an image in a 16:9 ratio. Meaning for every 16 inches of width it displays 9 inches of height. This will allow you to watch a more broad view of the image. Most movies are shot in widescreen and most games for the ps3 will have this as well, so getting it will only benefit you. When looking into buying a Widescreen make sure the TV has Panorama, TheaterWide, or Natural settings, otherwise the image you are watching will look distorted.

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
lol .. if any one has questions .. plz post it .. i have good information about hdtv's

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah my 26 inch LCD TV is 1080i and 720p so I'm fine. No need to get 1080p because my screen isn't that big. I'm not getting a PS3 anyway.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
mm, PS3 isnt really any better than the Xbox360 when you look at the specs.

I saw what the PS3 Dashboard looks like at "e3" and it looks exactly the same as the PSP. Gee Sony, you wouldnt wanna be creative would you........

Plus the price when it comes out looks to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!! You could pretty much buy a 360 and Nintendos new "Wii" which looks pretty cool.

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
.::Stevo::. said:
mm, PS3 isnt really any better than the Xbox360 when you look at the specs.

I saw what the PS3 Dashboard looks like at "e3" and it looks exactly the same as the PSP. Gee Sony, you wouldnt wanna be creative would you........

Plus the price when it comes out looks to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!! You could pretty much buy a 360 and Nintendos new "Wii" which looks pretty cool.
I agree with u as far as specs r concerned

Difference is ps3 comes out of the box with blu ray. xbox360 doesnt comes with hd-dvd and they wont hav any games on hd-dvd which is a major drawback. Also sony has all the major games companies support

Thats why I wanna go for ps3

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
las_faiz said:

Wrong, PS3 is of course better than XBOX 360, but not by a wide margin.

las_faiz said:
Also sony has all the major games companies support

Well, XBOX 360 also has support of major games companies, in fact, no game company wants to isolate any of the consoles.

In fact, even GTA4 will ship for both, and EA always ships games for both of them.

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
ronny_kingsley said:
PS3 is supposed to cost 23,750 INR.

Any sure information ???????

I am not sure what its gonna cost in India ..

Ps3 is expensive .. but considering just a blu ray disc player costs about $1000 .. the ps3 price doesnt sound that bad ... only solution is to wait till the prices drop for the ps3

usy

Chairman of Selectors
hmm, looks good, I'll see what I'll do when PS3 comes out.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
las_faiz said:

Difference is ps3 comes out of the box with blu ray. xbox360 doesnt comes with hd-dvd and they wont hav any games on hd-dvd which is a major drawback. Also sony has all the major games companies support

Thats why I wanna go for ps3
Mate, if i was you, go read about the difference between "blue ray" and the normal one the 360 ones.

And ok, you say sony has major comany support. who then?
And why have a read numrous articles saying that game developers would rather develop games for the 360 than the PS3?

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
.::Stevo::. said:
Mate, if i was you, go read about the difference between "blue ray" and the normal one the 360 ones.

And ok, you say sony has major comany support. who then?
And why have a read numrous articles saying that game developers would rather develop games for the 360 than the PS3?

I have read a lot about blu ray pros and cons .. I am not a salesman for sony ... those were just my opinions ..

Users who are viewing this thread