Overrated cricketers

aayush93

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
actually they changed the rule to allow the ball to pitch outside off in 1934 (both to help bowlers and encourage the game to be played through the offside after the bodyline series).

after which bradman played 29 matches and averaged over a 100.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

well i read it on some wisden book long ago that it was amendent in late 40's

ya i searched about this and found this..

LBW (N) is a term that was used to describe an alteration in the law of leg before wicket that was made by Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) on November 21, 1934. It came into force in 1935 in England but was opposed by high-level authorities in Australia where it did not come into force until the 1936/1937 season, even though it was tried in club games in Australia during the 1935/1936 season.
The alteration consisted of permitting a ball pitched outside off stump to produce an LBW wicket if the batsman stopped it with any part of his person in a straight line between wicket and wicket. Previously, only a ball pitched in a straight line between the bowler's and the striker's wickets could yield an LBW dismissal.
The term "LBW (N)" referred to the fact that from 1935 to 1937, wickets under the new leg before wicket rule were distinguished in scorecards published by Wisden from those under the pre-1935 rule.

then in 1938-1945 there was no cricket due to World War.

after this he played only few series.. (one series was against indians. that time india was minnow)

Another LBW Rule Which is different from bradman time

-> LBW wicket to any ball pitched outside off stump even if the batsman's legs were also outside off stump . (only applies when batsman doesn't offer the shot)

Mohammed yousuf had an average around 100 in 2006, during this time he played 11 tests matches..
No batsman can keep avg around 100 in today era with this laws after playing 30-40 matches matches.

----------

bradman might have been best batsman of all time but i can bet one thing that Max avg which batsman can achieve after playing 40-50 matches in today era will be less than 70.

Last edited:

macintosh

Club Captain
I agree with Aayush, Bradman was LBW just 6 times in his career, and was bowled 23 times, the LBW law is much more difficult for the batsmen in the current era.

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
I would say that in the trio of senior Indian batsmen VVS Laxman is over-rated. I would also say that MS Dohni is highly over-rated in test cricket.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I don't know about laxman, mostly because he's one of my favourite players in the world. His reputation is largely based on the fact he's a stylish batsman, people don't so much count on him to score barrells but when he is among the runs they expect him to look classy with it, and he usually is.

I guess you could argue that his reputation for coming up with the goods when india need him most is a bit self-affirming. if dravid, tendulkar and sehwag all fail then scores by him tend to be praised as real back against the wall the efforts whereas if he fails in the same circumstance then his lack of contribution is usually forgiven in light of the fact these bigger name players also failed. plus given one of that lot usually does do quite well he isn't expected to perform in this role all that often.

still you can't deny he's hit some pretty special innings. I don't count the lack of hundreds against him because his 50s have so often been better and more vital than many 100s scored by other players. If I could get to go back in time and watch any innings I'd want I'd end up going back to see laxman more than most batsmen, often high drama and they look brilliant.

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
id say pollard is over rated and sehwag. put hughes in that category too and who can forget zaheer khan

Owzat

International Coach
id say pollard is over rated and sehwag. put hughes in that category too and who can forget zaheer khan

Shahid 'pop-gun' Afridi as a batsman surely tops Pollard for being over-rated, for a while you'd think his batting was of Sehwag proportions

ODIs

Shahid Afridi : 6893 runs @ 23.69 (SR 114.14) & 333 wkts @ 33.27
Kieron Pollard : 1066 runs @ 23.69 (SR 102.30) & 37 wkts @ 35.00

I wasn't expecting their averages to be the same to 2 dp. Afridi's SR is remarkable, but both averages are well bp (below par) Six hundreds for the pop-gun says it all in 310 innings

MrPrez

School Cricketer
Overrated players? AB de Villiers, and I'm from SA!
Completely agree with Sehwag being overrated, and Tendulkar is waaaaaaay overrated!

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Shahid 'pop-gun' Afridi as a batsman surely tops Pollard for being over-rated, for a while you'd think his batting was of Sehwag proportions

ODIs

Shahid Afridi : 6893 runs @ 23.69 (SR 114.14) & 333 wkts @ 33.27
Kieron Pollard : 1066 runs @ 23.69 (SR 102.30) & 37 wkts @ 35.00

I wasn't expecting their averages to be the same to 2 dp. Afridi's SR is remarkable, but both averages are well bp (below par) Six hundreds for the pop-gun says it all in 310 innings

No body now talks about Shahid's batting, Its his bowling which has cemented his place in the team. On the other hand nobody overrates him in batting but teams still have a fear that if Afridi gets going it will be end of match in no time.

Owzat

International Coach
No body now talks about Shahid's batting, Its his bowling which has cemented his place in the team. On the other hand nobody overrates him in batting but teams still have a fear that if Afridi gets going it will be end of match in no time.

I did say "for a while" before making said comparison, although I could have said "you would have thought" to give it more tense relevence.

Just a quick word on Swann, he's so over-rated he should retire. Any ideas what would make for a good Swann Song..........................? :D

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Shakib Al Hasan. I can't believe he is number one all rounder in test cricket now. His batting is very inconsistent and his bowling is not that great either.

macintosh

Club Captain
Shakib Al Hasan. I can't believe he is number one all rounder in test cricket now. His batting is very inconsistent and his bowling is not that great either.

He deserves to be rated highly, his performance in the last 3 years have been really good, I agree with you that he shouldn't be ranked as the number 1 all rounder in tests, but his batting and bowling have improved a lot, in his last 16 tests, he has 8 fifties, 2 hundreds and 72 wickets.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
I don't have a problem with him being number one in ODIs, but I don't think he deserves that in test cricket. I think he is being helped by the fact that guys like Mathews, Watson haven't been fully fit and performing that well in recent times and Kallis has lost his ability to take wickets regularly.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I agree with Aayush, Bradman was LBW just 6 times in his career, and was bowled 23 times, the LBW law is much more difficult for the batsmen in the current era.

Correct! But there's a few things that favour the batsmen these days though - better bat technology and roped off grounds. And that they cover the wicket when it rains! There are other things that favour the bowlers too: better fielding standards for example.

Anyway, I don't think that Bradman's 'ratedness' is due to how his average might have transferred to the modern era, it's about how his average compared to his peers. The highest average of anyone who played in his time was George Headley (60.38) and Jack Ryder had the highest average of an Australian in that era of 51.62.

This article shows that the closest anyone has gotten to Bradman's 52 Test span of 6996 runs @99.94 was Ricky Ponting who scored 5813 runs @ 74.52 between 2002-2006: The List: Who is closest to Don Bradman, George Lohmann and Joel Garner? | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

I don't mind the speculation of how he might have gone today, but anyone questioning Don's record is bonkers.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Had to laugh yesterday, there was some rampant fan boyism in the Nine commentary box. First for Sehwag's entire stay there wasn't a bad word said about the bloke, just constant banging on about how awesome he is. Yeah I like him too, but it was over the top praise - Ian Chappell in particular has a serious crush on him. Then Tendulkar came in and gave the commentators a chance to gush anew. Particularly annoying of late: it seems whenever Tendulkar bats someone will say how 'he looks good today' or 'seems to be in good form/touch'. Of Course!!! I've can't even count on one hand the times I've seen Tendulkar play and he'd looked even average let alone poor. He's Sachin fricken Tendulkar, master stylish, super smooth player and these jokers are talking about how there are good signs for him in this innings...

And I wish I'd noted the time but Mark Taylor and Tony Greig almost spunked themselves when Dave Warner fielded a ball. That's right - he went after a ball that had been pushed into the cover gap, ball got maybe 1/2way-2/3rds way to the rope, Warner slid along side it and returned it and the batsmen were under no pressure to get a comfortable 2 runs. So essentially there was nothing special about the fielding, you see that kind of slide 50 times a day, yet Mark Taylor decided it needed special attention "That's great fielding by Dave Warner" Tubby says, followed by Greig in support. No it's not great fielding Tubby, there was always 2 in it and Warners slide/throw was no better than average...The rampant praise was even worse when he got thrown the ball for a couple of overs, but I'm said enough :D

Maybe I was just in a dark mood yesterday :lol but there was way too much praise being thrown around. Ian Chappell can throw out some good criticism, but it won't be this summer with India here. Guarantee he'll be fawning over Laxman and Dhoni whenever they get in too. They are 2 of his absolute favourites.

Users who are viewing this thread