Pakistan Revolving Door Thread (now with more Jabba)

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This is becoming a common thing for Pakistan cricket. After every tour ends they have to do probes because the team failed.

Owzat

International Coach
Getting your backsides kicked down under isn't that bad, I mean England did it and half of the players who lost 0-5 (and haven't retired) have retained their places.

In : Pietersen, Collingwood, Bell (in and out), Cook, Strauss, Anderson
Out : Hoggard, Harmison, Mahmood, Jones, Read, Panesar
Retired : Giles, Flintoff (from Tests)

Only Mahmood, Giles (retired), Read and Jones, haven't played since. England merrily keep picking Cook, Strauss, Collingwood and Pietersen despite England's batting being a weakness on that tour and since. Cook has batted in 94 innings, England have been bowled out for less than 200 in 15 of those (16%) - six against Australia.

Pakistan have serious problems, selections and injuries not the only ones. Getting caught and/or accused of cheating won't help them, they need to find a set of three to four batsmen who can bat and stick with them, stick with the keeper (who can bat) rather than chop and change on the basis of 'drops', and stick with other players instead of chopping and changing them. Yasir Arafat deserves a place IMHO, ok he doesn't have a great bowling average but that was because the pitches he bowled on in THREE Tests were flat - he's yet to play in a Test where Pakistan's opponents DIDN'T score 600+ 1st innings. Can anyone seriously expect him to be averaging 30 or thereabouts when the side conceded 1800+ runs in three innings?!?

A side with Yasir Arafat, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan, Kamran Akmal, Mohammad Asif, Danish Kaneria, Umar Gul and Shoaib Malik (as a batsman) ought to have enough batting and bowling in it to do ok or better. They didn't actually do that badly in the Test series, the first Test there weren't many positives but the second was close and Ponting just piled the runs on in the third Test. The ODIs were a bit shocking, too few of the batsmen doing their job and a HS of 72 between the batsmen in FIVE ODIs is appalling.

Making Pakistan a safe place to tour might help, I'm sure they'd be able to match if not beat the likes of England, South Africa and even Australia if they could convince them it is safe. Therein lies the problem, they aren't terribly convincing

P

pcfan123

Whats to probe? Their batting and fielding is awful, end of story.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Nah I think their bowling is fine, especially when you take their fielding and their opposition into account. It hard to give away chances to one of the best batting sides going around.

Asif is a gun bowler - I really like him. Aamer will be a good one too. Rana and Gul can do the job in the ODIs, they just need to get more consistent. Kaneria is good for the Tests, Ajmal is at least decent and can be quite tight in the ODIs. They just need to find a good 3rd seamer for Tests I think.

They need batsmen with fortitude eg. Manzoor's innings in Hobart. That's the only application I've seen a Pak batsman show this summer. Maybe Salman Butt too.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The thing to make an inquiry about is why they have nobody on staff who can make such observations.

ballers101

Club Cricketer
Nah I think their bowling is fine, especially when you take their fielding and their opposition into account. It hard to give away chances to one of the best batting sides going around.

Asif is a gun bowler - I really like him. Aamer will be a good one too. Rana and Gul can do the job in the ODIs, they just need to get more consistent. Kaneria is good for the Tests, Ajmal is at least decent and can be quite tight in the ODIs. They just need to find a good 3rd seamer for Tests I think.

They need batsmen with fortitude eg. Manzoor's innings in Hobart. That's the only application I've seen a Pak batsman show this summer. Maybe Salman Butt too.

Yeah I will agree with that, Pakistan has a good enough bowling side and I think they have great weapons in Asif, Aamer and Kaneria. Then batting we have a definite star in Umar Akmal. However, we need more consistent players, Fawad Alam batted well during the ODI series and really some of the games he was the only reason why we were able to make the match interesting.

All we need to get is guys who will not flop, I mean Butt is a very good batsmen and I have told everyone that he has extreme skill the only problem is that he needs to consistently get scores. For example, he could score 100 the next innnings though, he scores 2. I would rather have someone who scores 40 then 30 then 50. Rather someone who scores a century then nothing. We just need to find a couple more of those guys who score 30s and 40s rather another Salman Butt caliber player.

stereotype

Club Cricketer
it is all good to say that the bowling is fine but the fielding is poor but most of those bowlers especially Asif, Aamer, Rauf etc are horrible fielders and contribute to the problem. IMO there is no excuse in the professional era we live in that paid cricketers don't know how to field.

ksduded

Club Cricketer
they need a good leader who is agressive, leads from the front and is able to give them confidence so that their talents comes to fore...

Pakistan nearly won the last ODI and the T20 because they were not being captained by a defensive captain like Yousuf..... how can the fielding suddenly improve overnight? its all in the mind....

P

pcfan123

They seem scared of the ball sometimes and they overact when the ball hits their hands etc. Even the u19 Pakistanis were god awful at fielding, they rarely fielded anything cleanly in the covers.

I think a lot has to do with playing with a tennis ball when younger and when they make the switch to a real a ball in their teens they have to get over that "fear of getting hurt" a lot later than kids in the UK/Aus who play with real balls from as young as 12

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
We have been having a probe everytime since we won the T20 World Cup. The last time we had one was when Younis walked out :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread