Patch #2 Must Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

grkrama

National Board President
Gamers will pick up on things that sports fans wouldn't, and vice versa, you can't just have one or the other testing the game you need both.
im sure he meant gamers who are cricket fans, people who have bought this game, would have been more than willing to pay for early access beta.

Obviously you wouldnt test a cricket game with yankees or Mr. COD kill streak1 and i doubt they would be interested in accessing it either.

The community here is largely gamers who are cricket fanatics too:yes and would have been the majority that would have tested a beta out if it had been available, i think that should be the case with the next iteration with PC getting early release as its easy to run a beta program through PC platform..

Last edited:

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I agree that "gamers" notice far more than the average person might, but also "gamers " want perfect graphics and things to look 100% right, but for a cricket fan, you want the game to feel right and play right! You can't just have a niche game tested by gamers!! In the whole game there's very little graphics wise I'd improve, even the animations where people go through one another don't bother me as much as the superhuman fielders or the difficulty imbalance or the AI over aggressiveness or the silly run outs. All of which will be patched by BA. This is the best cricket game we've ever had, its not perfect, but BA never promised us that, the continued support of the product by BA shows they're true to their word and they listen to polite honest feedback. Gamers will pick up on things that sports fans wouldn't, and vice versa, you can't just have one or the other testing the game you need both. Btw I'm looking for a new job Ross, I'd be happy to test the next game for you.

Yeap , as elaborately stated by @grkrama I meant us , the cricket fanatic nuts here at PC , who are also gamers.

As an example : I know for a fact that the graphics can be 100% better , but it doesnt faze me , it fits in the "nice to have bracket" .

As someone else`s signature read , gameplay is king , and that the only thing that ensures longevity.

ATMega169P

Banned
Stay in school and go to bed early. In years to come you will thank me for this advice. See ya.

"This message is hidden because ATMega169P is on your ignore list. "

This post has nothing to do with my previous post so I will now suppose that it is actually you who needs to go back to school as your post demonstrates that you have understood 0% of my previous post.

By the way, are you just mad at me because I told Biggs to stop being rude at people that are asking questions?

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
Nah he is probably just 'mad' because you call other people 'retarded' and are just generally acting like a self-entitled, unappreciative sod all of the time.

Just a stab in the dark though

Blinder

Banned
Personally the only thing I really judge sports games on is the quality of the simulation, and if you'd played games like International Cricket Captain in their recent iterations you'd notice that beyond a shiny new CGI replay engine, they feel like something from the 90s still. That's the issue, the cricket gaming genre is virtually dead. In the context of it's era, Don Bradman Cricket does the following:

- The only thing approaching a playable cricket game since EA was in the market, and even then you have to consider the market to give them that much credit
- The best simulation of intricacies of cricket from a physics perspective at this time
- Controls that actually give a new take on genre, something not tried in a long time
- A brave amount of customization which has, as would be expected, lead to a lot of options for many of the bugs that have occurred

This all from an new entrant into the market in a climate where cricket games seem near unviable. It's by taking into account the context they are in that it is clearly the best, this game and it's success (hopefully) is what may potentially save the entire genre, being produced in an age where on ol' rubbish makes it onto the market with an inflated price tag. It has been a magnificent, brave effort, and I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

Back in 1999 you could compare Shane Warne Cricket to any other sport game going around, including the FIFA, NHL, NBA, Golf, Madden and it stood up strongly in terms of features, graphics, gameplay, quality/lack of bugs and licenses. That's why I feel its the best game of cricket made.

DBC 14 compared to any sport game going around at the moment pales into insignificance when you look at graphics, features (the career mode is extremely shallow compared to most sporting games), AI and overall quality. Lets be honest, some of the bugs and glitches in this game reek of amateurism. Yet consumers are being asked to pay $100 for it, which is more than what they are asked to pay for superior games like NBA2k14 and FIFA 14.

Big Ant are taking full advantage of this monopolised market, (and why the hell wouldn't you - kudos to them) by grabbing the opportunity by the scruff of the neck - the world is desperate for a cricket game, particularly the sub-continent and Australia, and they are filling the void and making as much money as they possibly can doing it. They don't have the competition in the market that gives them any real incentive to prioritise quality assurance and value for money and it shows. Its smart business.

They didn't have to do anything to surpass Ashes 13. They didn't have to address the issues in the quality of their product to make it appealing to the market - it was done for them thanks to Ashes 13 self imploding. Anything would be better than that thing.

If cricket games were as popular as football and racing games, DBC 14 wouldn't see the light of day in its current form, bugs and all. That's pretty obvious. Or at least it wouldn't be $100. You say its a quality simulation of cricket, I think that for a cricket simulation it leaves a lot to be desired, that's why these threads are so long, but because its the only thing out there its all we can hold on to.

And in regards to your comments on ICC - its a management sim. It fulfils its purpose well. It has a very strong stat engine. It has stood the test of time. It has a fan base. And it is reasonably priced - the price of the game matches the quality and content. For a game made by uni students I reckon it goes ok. If DBC 14 (a game which costs five times as much) had the AI, stat engine and depth (eg: form, injuries, youth teams etc) as ICC then just imagine that!

Still, I know I sound negative - I'm grateful to have an interactive cricket game, as everyone else is around here. Im also grateful for the ongoing support by the developer. Here's hoping that the success of DBC 14 inspires some other developers to have a real crack at the market because competition in the market place is only a good thing for the consumer = increased quality and better value for money :)

Last edited:

madman981

Club Captain
Why dont you Pi$$ off and not play the game anymore, The majority on here are not interested in your negative crap

if you dont like the game, dont play it, go get a refund, who cares

the rest of us who love this game an understand that its a fantastic game for a first version know its going to get better and are enjoying the ride

take ya negative attitude and leave ya flog!

Blinder

Banned
Why dont you Pi$$ off and not play the game anymore, The majority on here are not interested in your negative crap

if you dont like the game, dont play it, go get a refund, who cares

the rest of us who love this game an understand that its a fantastic game for a first version know its going to get better and are enjoying the ride

take ya negative attitude and leave ya flog!

Mate how bout a more objective and thought out response? Less emotion, more content. Im just giving my opinion on a public forum. That's the point of forums...

And you 'understand' its a fantastic game for $100 in the year 2014? What, like someone has told you this and you just nod your head. How bout thinking about it and giving your own opinion?

Last edited:

Jadel

Club Captain
His reply was unnecessarily angry, but I also don't agree with anything you write.

I think dbc is awesome. I haven't played anything else since it came out. Titanfall got an hour or so only.

The only thing I don't like is how hard the batting is compared to bowling.

None of the other bugs bother me that much if at all.

I think it looks and sounds great and most importantly plays great.

Ive had many times the purchase price in terms of value.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I'm not sure why you are trying so hard to get people to share it.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It doesn't take an economics degree to understand that there are Millions of FIFA/NBA/etc.. games sold and so their cost of goods is far less and so their margin can be maintained at a lower price point.

If you want custom goods made, which is effectively what a Cricket game is, then you have to pay more or the game won't be made.

ellgieff

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Back in 1999 you could compare Shane Warne Cricket to any other sport game going around, including the FIFA, NHL, NBA, Golf, Madden and it stood up strongly in terms of features, graphics, gameplay, quality/lack of bugs and licenses. That's why I feel its the best game of cricket made.

Lol.

If Codemasters had kept making versions of BLC/SWC every year since, until now (the way FIFA, NHL, NBA, MLB: The Show, Madden et al. have been) then this would be a fair comparison. Or even if BAS had been doing games like this one since then.

SWC/BLC was the game that didn't have wides unless you played a stroke, yeah? The one that didn't have no balls at all? The one that flat out wouldn't run on a Cyrix x86 CPU, struggled to run on AMD CPUs and crashed often for owners of particular 3DFX cards?

At least you're not claiming one of the EA Cricket games as the best ever, I guess - I simply couldn't play them, because of what happened if you tried to sweep a spinner and missed.

I'll compare this one to the game I know best in this genre (because it's the game I've been playing for years as the closest thing I could get to a decent Cricket game), MLB: The Show.

It compares pretty favourably, particularly for a first iteration. It doesn't have the depth of licensing that MLB does, for sure. The career mode isn't as deep from an emergent narrative perspective (in particular, the people playing for your and other teams don't change, so you don't get to watch other guys develop).

In terms of bugs & patches, MLB: The Show usually ends up with 4 or 5 patches in a cycle. Some of the bugs they've had to fix have been actually game breaking (in that they make the game unplayable).

This game has some bugs. Some particularly frustrating ones. Many are going to be patched out around the 6th of June. That's not a bad effort, from someone who's worked as a developer of large and complicated software.

For me, it's the best cricket game ever because it's the one that has most made me feel like I'm actually playing cricket, rather than playing a quick-time game.

It's a fantastic effort, and I'm hoping it's been successful enough that they'll keep doing it.

Alberts

International Coach

DBC 14 compared to any sport game going around at the moment pales into insignificance when you look at graphics, features (the career mode is extremely shallow compared to most sporting games), AI and overall quality. Lets be honest, some of the bugs and glitches in this game reek of amateurism. Yet consumers are being asked to pay $100 for it, which is more than what they are asked to pay for superior games like NBA2k14 and FIFA 14.

Big Ant are taking full advantage of this monopolised market, (and why the hell wouldn't you - kudos to them) by grabbing the opportunity by the scruff of the neck - the world is desperate for a cricket game, particularly the sub-continent and Australia, and they are filling the void and making as much money as they possibly can doing it. They don't have the competition in the market that gives them any real incentive to prioritise quality assurance and value for money and it shows. Its smart business.

They didn't have to do anything to surpass Ashes 13. They didn't have to address the issues in the quality of their product to make it appealing to the market - it was done for them thanks to Ashes 13 self imploding. Anything would be better than that thing.

If cricket games were as popular as football and racing games, DBC 14 wouldn't see the light of day in its current form, bugs and all. That's pretty obvious. Or at least it wouldn't be $100. You say its a quality simulation of cricket, I think that for a cricket simulation it leaves a lot to be desired, that's why these threads are so long, but because its the only thing out there its all we can hold on to.

And in regards to your comments on ICC - its a management sim. It fulfils its purpose well. It has a very strong stat engine. It has stood the test of time. It has a fan base. And it is reasonably priced - the price of the game matches the quality and content. For a game made by uni students I reckon it goes ok. If DBC 14 (a game which costs five times as much) had the AI, stat engine and depth (eg: form, injuries, youth teams etc) as ICC then just imagine that!

Still, I know I sound negative - I'm grateful to have an interactive cricket game, as everyone else is around here. Im also grateful for the ongoing support by the developer. Here's hoping that the success of DBC 14 inspires some other developers to have a real crack at the market because competition in the market place is only a good thing for the consumer = increased quality and better value for money :)

Going to take some speed to keep up with your goalposts...

So what you're saying is that because it's not as good as other sports games out now, it's not good? I guess that chain of argument means that you're not going argue against it being a ray of hope in a lifeless market. But anyhow, let's break it down into categories against other sports games on the market.

Let's start with graphics:
- The graphics are solid, stylised for the type of game, and particularly with the replay features quite good
- Compared to other games on the same consoles it matches up quite well to be honest
- Other major game producers are still producing games solely for the same platforms and even neglecting PCs (for example FIFA World Cup 2014 which is only on the PS3 and Xbox 360)
- There are plenty of other sports games on the market, on the same hardware, that's graphics simply don't match up (i.e. games like AFL Lives, Rugby Challenges, and so forth), while the only games that really outdo it are on newer consoles

As such for those reasons I'd have to give it a pass mark there at the very worst.

Then there's features:
- The game features a long term career mode
- The game has all the various expected game modes
- It has a high degree of customisability in it's game modes
- Using FIFA as the usual example, it's career mode is actually pretty decent in comparison as well, although arguably that's because FIFA's career mode is quite frankly awful
- FIFA's does however all someone to manage a team rather than just a single player
- FIFA however lacks features that this game has, particularly in terms of customisability
- Compared to some career modes, like the one from Rugby Challenge where some players could play for multiple teams at once, this game has done very well

So there are things that could be added in the future, but for a first iteration it's actually done very well. In terms of the overall market though it should be considered a pass mark.

As for "amateurish bugs", have you ever actually played the NBA 2k series or FIFA. I remember having a half hour laughing fit at NBA 2k7 I think it was when players would dislocate their arms, then magically pop them back it to take certain passes and shots. FIFA is also hardly innocent, with recurring issues with career mode games simply corrupting and being unrecoverable. A remember years back scoring goals and them being given to the opposition as well. Nothing better than scoring the winning goal in a tournament final, only for the other team to start celebrating for some unknown reason. I'd also recommend just typing FIFA or PES bugs into youtube, particularly after the use of the Impact Engine, FIFA was full of hilarious bugs, some of them absolutely game breaking.

If we're going to talk about balance as well, spend a day on FIFA forums, the game is needing balance each and every year, they have a budget that dwarfs what BigAnt could dream of and still can't get it right.

As for price you need to consider that this is their first entry into the market, and most places are pricing it the same as the likes of FIFA 14, not more than. The World Cup edition is a bit cheaper, but it's cut down, rubbish and has little more than a Brazil coat of whitewash to justify it's existence (I am to be honest extremely disappointed with that one, a solid game, but a disappointment compared to the FIFA series as a whole).

Now you're backing away from comparing it to International Cricket Captain, good move. They've been milking that cow for too long and it needs a shake up. Compared to the other sports management games on the market it is comically poor. It has one role and performs it poorly in comparison to it's market, but I guess you'd say it would be unfair to compare it to it's football counter part, which is quite frankly a masterpiece (although even it still has it's bugs).

I like how you also mention the market for cricket games being smaller, which is the exact reason that makes it so impressive that Big Ant were brave enough to take the risks they have here, and they have paid off.

I applaud Big Ant and hope you see the numerous flaws in the hypocritical comparisons your making, which in and of themselves don't seem fair compared to other series' out currently.

handsome

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think the pricing is pretty fair considering this is a very niche market. The subcontinent is notorious for pirating the game so there goes more than half of your customers who will enjoy your product for free.

All said and done, we need to be grateful towards BA for doing a cricket title

And if anyone has any issue with the pricing and monopoly of the market, go and convince EA to spend as much efforts as they spend on FIFA on cricket and i'd pay you a million dollars if they do it till i am alive.

evinthegreat619

School Cricketer
The runouts are the most frustrating when i see the batsmen carelessly walking back to the crease. Felt completely cheated when catches do not carry to slips but are good edges and please make the career mode difficulty bit easier by starting from medium difficulty and finally solve the superhuman fielders stuff out
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread