Performing Arts

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
I drop darma lessons in my school because I can't just can't remember my lines.
But I always want to be a Bad guy in movies

Let me tell you my way of learning lines. For me, it's been extremely effective and fast. What I do is read all the other character's lines onto a tape recorder and then play it back, pausing to add in my lines. I've found by doing it this way, I can be 'off book' very quickly. I would advise against learning lines 'parrot fashion', always make sure you understand who your character is, what your character wants, why, what will happen if they don't get it, how will they get it and what are the obstacles in their way as well as the time-frame of the piece. This is sometimes known as the 7 w's. If you understand these, then even if you do forget your lines on stage, you'll be able to improvise your way out of it.

As far as monologues are concerned, apply the 7 w's and just read it again and again. Try to perform it only if you're someone who can change the way they do a piece after they've learned it. Some people will learn a piece a certain way and will have a hard time taking on a director's notes if the director wants to change the way they perform the piece. Otherwise, consult with your tutor as to how to perform the piece before learning it.

Something else to know about monologues for auditions: Don't just grab a monologue from an audition book, make sure you read the play as well as you never know when the panel may ask you about the play.

Good luck to anyone trying to get into this industry! :)

By the way, if you could be in any show on TV at the moment, what would you choose? I'd go for 'Doctor Who'! Performing with actors as good and energetic as David Tennant must be a real blast!

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Isn't The Rose Buford's school in Kent?

Well anyway...let's get off this topic.
*Silence, while in thought*

So...good luck with your ambitions MB76

Thanks! Just to clear it up once and for all, I'm not gay. Sorry if I've disappointed anyone!!!! ;)

Last edited:

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I have an ambition to be a stand up comic, (not exactly acting, i know) no need for performing arts school, ill go along to open mic nights when ive "finished" writing a set

Its great telling people you want to be a comedian as people always laugh at you, well until you point out that in a delicious twist of irony, you have just made them laugh

sd92

International Coach
Let me tell you my way of learning lines. For me, it's been extremely effective and fast. What I do is read all the other character's lines onto a tape recorder and then play it back, pausing to add in my lines. I've found by doing it this way, I can be 'off book' very quickly. I would advise against learning lines 'parrot fashion', always make sure you understand who your character is, what your character wants, why, what will happen if they don't get it, how will they get it and what are the obstacles in their way as well as the time-frame of the piece. This is sometimes known as the 7 w's. If you understand these, then even if you do forget your lines on stage, you'll be able to improvise your way out of it.

As far as monologues are concerned, apply the 7 w's and just read it again and again. Try to perform it only if you're someone who can change the way they do a piece after they've learned it. Some people will learn a piece a certain way and will have a hard time taking on a director's notes if the director wants to change the way they perform the piece. Otherwise, consult with your tutor as to how to perform the piece before learning it.

Something else to know about monologues for auditions: Don't just grab a monologue from an audition book, make sure you read the play as well as you never know when the panel may ask you about the play.

Good luck to anyone trying to get into this industry! :)

By the way, if you could be in any show on TV at the moment, what would you choose? I'd go for 'Doctor Who'! Performing with actors as good and energetic as David Tennant must be a real blast!

Exactly, this is what i do for my french orals.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Has anyone ever forgotten their lines on-stage to the point that it was obvious to the audience?

legspinner@fred

Club Cricketer
Most people don't live to tell the tale, they either kill themselves straight after or die on stage..

sd92

International Coach
I have, but it was quite normal because everyone was and it was only having a laugh in english.

madmusician

Club Cricketer
Slightly different to everyone else, but I would love to be a Musical Director on a West End Production. Arranging the songs, leading/conducting them from the piano. It would all be right up my street. That would be fab...

sd92

International Coach
And awesome pay i would imagine, will take you a while to get there but good luck.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Slightly different to everyone else, but I would love to be a Musical Director on a West End Production. Arranging the songs, leading/conducting them from the piano. It would all be right up my street. That would be fab...

Best of luck with that! I'm sure there are courses you can do for that, have a look round. Have you got Grade 8 with piano, I'm sure that would be a considerable advantage!

sd92

International Coach
Grade 8 is seriously amazing. My cousin is grade 8 guitar, friggin awesome to be honest.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Grade 8 is the top grade in piano and something that an aspiring MD would need, I would've thought. I may be wrong, though! Don't take it as gospel.

sd92

International Coach
Yeh for sure. To be top at it, i'm sure grade 8 would help you a lot. But i was just saying Grade 8 is seriously good.

Users who are viewing this thread