Perks

The_Pharoah

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
agree with the comments re perks. For me its just guesswork - would be nice to know what the best perks are for each player archetype eg. batting allrounder, bowling allrounder, batsman, etc etc

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
agree with the comments re perks. For me its just guesswork - would be nice to know what the best perks are for each player archetype eg. batting allrounder, bowling allrounder, batsman, etc etc
Ultimately that's up to each individual. If you want to better at batting then go for batting perks, if you want to improve your bowling then pick bowling perks.

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Watching this video about Fall Out: New Vegas. Never played a Fall Out game but I enjoy hbomberguy's content.

There's a three minute segment (if it doesn't start there, it begins at 19 minutes) where he talks about perks in the game. Perfectly explains the difference between Fall Out 3 and New Vegas and how perks were changed. Rather than just skill boosts ('vertical progression') NV has 'horizontal progression' which opens up 'a new thing they can do'. So, you don't just put more points into a skill you are levelling up. Recommend watching it, even just the 3 minutes about perks.

With some exceptions, that's mostly how perks work in Cricket 19. I really like the inclusion of perks but have always felt just boosting skill is not particularly engaging.

I've not played career mode so only consider perks in relation to AI players. So, I'd be interested to hear from career players (@GuyIncognito I know you are 100 rated l33t gamer) about that experience of developing your player. How perks work is actually one of the things that puts me off starting career mode because it seems to just be a grind for more skill points. Whereas what I'd like is the chance to go in and create radically different types of players with creating more unique/individual AI player as an extension of that.

Thought it'd be fun to come up with a list of similar perks that follow the idea of 'horizontal progression.' So no skill increase - unless you reeeaaalllllly think it's gonna add something. (My thread my rules). I'm thinking related to the in game mechanics (confidence, timing, general game events, things that aren't present and certainly from a tactical and strategy side).

So basically anything that might make you really want to add that to your player in career mode or slap onto an AI player. I suppose from a career player perspective what would add interest when you are creating and developing your player. From an AI player perspective (looking at those who have created lots of players too @blockerdave @gleeso73 @Mouseydread et al) what would excite you, as a perk, to see in the game that you could add to a player?

Couple of starters here for what I'm getting at:

Perk name: Insight
Player type: Bowler
In game effect: Beyond basic weaknesses you get more information on the batsman at the crease - basically the opportunity to uncover more than one strength and weakness. Or an actual strategy hint like you might get from a data analyst. E.g. Suggested plan: bowl full and straight / try putting in a short cover (watch out Jos Buttler).
Counter effect:
How to unlock: Take a 10-for in a match

Context: I think building an actual strategy is not really something that the game has and bowling tactics can feel performative. E.g. is there any real impact to me bowling seam up on a good length or would it be equally effective to just bowl Yorkers. So I'd this as not only looking to build on the idea that strategies/plans are a thing but also increase information you get.

Another...

Perk name: Talisman
Player type: Any (possibly for all players, as a sort of star man, or purely limited to being a Captaincy role)
In game effect: If you play well (e.g. score 100 or take several wickets, or catches if you're in the field/WK) then the confidence of your team is raised. So they might bowl better bat better, be less likely to drop catches. Basically your team gets inspired by their captain leading by example.
Counter effect: If you do poorly (get a low score, drop a catch, have a high economy or concede lots of extras) then your team is more likely to perform poorly as a unit; more increased chances of dropping catches, seeing a batting collapse or bowling poorly).
How to unlock: Win a domestic trophy as a captain

Context: Really feel as though this would give you more incentive and interest in the role of captain (might be wrong). Equally playing against a 'talismanic' captain it would give you that sense of excitement if you get, for example, Virat Kohli cheaply, the knowledge that the rest of the batting line up might fold quickly (not every time, and not always for 36).

You could have an inverse of it too; when your team is up against it you get Stokes like confidence to overturn the dire situation.

I could honestly do this all day and have tonnes but wanted to see if we could as a community come up with some more. No idea the plans for perks if they would stay the same or become more 'horizontal' but I thought it might be fun to throw around some ideas. We might come up with some genius ones that BA cannot resist adding.
Stopped playing career mode as it just felt a bit samey samey, however, I love the idea of ‘insight‘ or ‘talisman’ having an impact when you are at the top of your mark. You’re about to bowl, the captain comes over to you and depending on their trait, you get a different output.

So insight for example means that you can see how this batsman scores most of their runs, or areas he is vulnerable.

Whereas with talisman, you don’t get this, instead there is a little ’pep talk‘ cut scene or something and then your confidence is higher and increases your chances of an early wicket.

Some captains may not have anything, but ultimately it should leave you wanting to play under certain captains because they give you the best ‘boost’ in your opinion.

I can imagine that feeling of ‘I love playing under Eoin Morgan as he has so much ‘insight’ because he’s been around for so longer’ whereas when you play in the IPL under Virat for example, you‘re like ‘ahh I don’t know where to bowl here, but I sure am pumped because my captain is such a ‘talisman’’

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Stopped playing career mode as it just felt a bit samey samey, however, I love the idea of ‘insight‘ or ‘talisman’ having an impact when you are at the top of your mark. You’re about to bowl, the captain comes over to you and depending on their trait, you get a different output.

So insight for example means that you can see how this batsman scores most of their runs, or areas he is vulnerable.

Whereas with talisman, you don’t get this, instead there is a little ’pep talk‘ cut scene or something and then your confidence is higher and increases your chances of an early wicket.

Some captains may not have anything, but ultimately it should leave you wanting to play under certain captains because they give you the best ‘boost’ in your opinion.

I can imagine that feeling of ‘I love playing under Eoin Morgan as he has so much ‘insight’ because he’s been around for so longer’ whereas when you play in the IPL under Virat for example, you‘re like ‘ahh I don’t know where to bowl here, but I sure am pumped because my captain is such a ‘talisman’’
I would prefer perks to be more these kinds of effects. Particularly some kind of skill tree for Leadership. It might be that you have to choose to start that tree before you'd even be considered for captaincy. So there's an incentive to do it.

Read how Adil Rashid saying how calm Eoin Morgan is and how that helps. Not to pick of Kohli but he's always very emotional this can be good and bad. A captaincy/leadership skill tree (Even if it's just being able to pick 3 perks) could mean different types of captain. I think the ability to choose different type of captaincy not just from selecting a team, field and bowlers would just be a bit more engaging.

A calmness captain perk could ensure that players have smaller fluctuations to their confidence when you are in the team, but as a counter to that their confidence might progress more slowly. Whereas the talisman's performance can hugely boost the team but also bring a team down. I think how England's batting seemed to capitulate when Joe Root didn't do that well over the last month.

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I would prefer perks to be more these kinds of effects. Particularly some kind of skill tree for Leadership. It might be that you have to choose to start that tree before you'd even be considered for captaincy. So there's an incentive to do it.

Read how Adil Rashid saying how calm Eoin Morgan is and how that helps. Not to pick of Kohli but he's always very emotional this can be good and bad. A captaincy/leadership skill tree (Even if it's just being able to pick 3 perks) could mean different types of captain. I think the ability to choose different type of captaincy not just from selecting a team, field and bowlers would just be a bit more engaging.

A calmness captain perk could ensure that players have smaller fluctuations to their confidence when you are in the team, but as a counter to that their confidence might progress more slowly. Whereas the talisman's performance can hugely boost the team but also bring a team down. I think how England's batting seemed to capitulate when Joe Root didn't do that well over the last month.
You just saying about Kohli made me think as well, reviews! Judgement could impact these as well, especially if they brought back the keeper‘s opinion on things. Certainly in terms of career made but possibly the AI as well, you are certain you have trapped the batter in front, but the keeper isn’t feeling it, does the skipper go with his keeper, or does he have the ’Kohli heart on the sleeve approach‘ back his youngster and end up wasting his reviews in the first 5 overs. This would also mean reviews being the job of your AI captain, but I like that idea as long as you have some input. Then if it is out, he’s more likely to trust you next time, if not, you have to hope it’s plum!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
You just saying about Kohli made me think as well, reviews! Judgement could impact these as well, especially if they brought back the keeper‘s opinion on things. Certainly in terms of career made but possibly the AI as well, you are certain you have trapped the batter in front, but the keeper isn’t feeling it, does the skipper go with his keeper, or does he have the ’Kohli heart on the sleeve approach‘ back his youngster and end up wasting his reviews in the first 5 overs. This would also mean reviews being the job of your AI captain, but I like that idea as long as you have some input. Then if it is out, he’s more likely to trust you next time, if not, you have to hope it’s plum!
Yeah, I'd like judgment to be clear about what it means. Or decision making in general whether it's reviews or when to take chances as a batsman, fielder or bowler.

I like the idea of the AI captain having a say over reviews and the outcome having consequences. Particularly if you are a rookie, get one wrong and he stops trusting you. So it'd be 50/50 whether he reviews or not. But if you build up your reputation over time the AI captain will trust you and be closer to 90% going with your suggestion to review.

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Yeah, I'd like judgment to be clear about what it means. Or decision making in general whether it's reviews or when to take chances as a batsman, fielder or bowler.

I like the idea of the AI captain having a say over reviews and the outcome having consequences. Particularly if you are a rookie, get one wrong and he stops trusting you. So it'd be 50/50 whether he reviews or not. But if you build up your reputation over time the AI captain will trust you and be closer to 90% going with your suggestion to review.
You mean like Ashwin and Kohli?? Haha

LiamCobra

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
I've been using Perks in a different way to a lot of what I've seen others do. I understand that perks are mostly useful for career play, but I don't play career mode on this game and have used the perks to get more accurate player ratings and player differences into the squads.

So for instance, the very best International players will have more silver perks than bronze perks, but obviously with a mixture to find the balance of ratings as well as what perks they would realistically have. So Kohli has 'Born Leader' 'Chaser', whereas Steve Smith will have 'On Side Star' etc.

On my game, my ratings are based loosely on records, current ICC rankings and overall stature in the game (trying to be as impartial as possible).

I'll post some pictures of my Male Player List with an International filter on, so you guys can see how I've done my ratings. Tried to get my numbers to reflect the quality of players. The very best Int. players are rated in the low 90s, (Kohli, Smith, Williamson, Root, etc.), top international players are rated in the high 80s, Good Int. players are rated mid-low 80s, lesser Int. players are rated in high 70s, Fringe Int. players are rated mid 70s, Top domestic players are rated mid-low 70s and so-on and so-forth.
This also allows for lower Domestic players to also have special abilities, albeit just at a lower skill level.

Gives the game a feeling of variation, while being able to differentiate levels. I've used the perks to get the players to different types of totals while combining that with Batting, Bowling and fielding skills. Take for instance, Pat Cummins & James Anderson. Anderson's bowling skill is at 93 and Cummins' bowling skill is at 92, but Cummins is rated at 88 and Anderson rated at 87. I made it like this because I feel as if Anderson has more skill, but Cummins is the better bowler at this point in time according to rankings and form. Another example is that I have Babar Azam with an overall rating of 86, but his batting skill is 91 because although he is one of the best batsmen in the world at the moment, I feel he still has to grow to the stature of other top batsmen he is being compared to like Joe Root & Kane Williamson whose overall ratings are both 90, but their batting skill is 92 & 93 respectively.

If you add the additional filter of Roles, then it coincides relatively nicely with ICC rankings too.

*Apologies for the poor quality images, just took photos of my screen.
*I've included a picture of some of my LEGENDS. Slightly more overrated (arguable) to capture their greatness, similar to FIFA legend cards.
*I'm South African, so Jacques Kallis is the best cricketer ever.
*Also, this is just my interpretation, everybody will have their own opinions.
*Apologies for the Essay and Case Study.

Attachments

• Top 10 Rated Players (1-12).jpg
    Top 10 Rated Players (1-12).jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Top Rated Players (12-23).jpg
    Top Rated Players (12-23).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Top Rated Players (23-34).jpg
    Top Rated Players (23-34).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • Legends.jpg
    Legends.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 25

Dan's leg spin

Club Captain
I've been using Perks in a different way to a lot of what I've seen others do. I understand that perks are mostly useful for career play, but I don't play career mode on this game and have used the perks to get more accurate player ratings and player differences into the squads.

So for instance, the very best International players will have more silver perks than bronze perks, but obviously with a mixture to find the balance of ratings as well as what perks they would realistically have. So Kohli has 'Born Leader' 'Chaser', whereas Steve Smith will have 'On Side Star' etc.

On my game, my ratings are based loosely on records, current ICC rankings and overall stature in the game (trying to be as impartial as possible).

I'll post some pictures of my Male Player List with an International filter on, so you guys can see how I've done my ratings. Tried to get my numbers to reflect the quality of players. The very best Int. players are rated in the low 90s, (Kohli, Smith, Williamson, Root, etc.), top international players are rated in the high 80s, Good Int. players are rated mid-low 80s, lesser Int. players are rated in high 70s, Fringe Int. players are rated mid 70s, Top domestic players are rated mid-low 70s and so-on and so-forth.
This also allows for lower Domestic players to also have special abilities, albeit just at a lower skill level.

Gives the game a feeling of variation, while being able to differentiate levels. I've used the perks to get the players to different types of totals while combining that with Batting, Bowling and fielding skills. Take for instance, Pat Cummins & James Anderson. Anderson's bowling skill is at 93 and Cummins' bowling skill is at 92, but Cummins is rated at 88 and Anderson rated at 87. I made it like this because I feel as if Anderson has more skill, but Cummins is the better bowler at this point in time according to rankings and form. Another example is that I have Babar Azam with an overall rating of 86, but his batting skill is 91 because although he is one of the best batsmen in the world at the moment, I feel he still has to grow to the stature of other top batsmen he is being compared to like Joe Root & Kane Williamson whose overall ratings are both 90, but their batting skill is 92 & 93 respectively.

If you add the additional filter of Roles, then it coincides relatively nicely with ICC rankings too.

*Apologies for the poor quality images, just took photos of my screen.
*I've included a picture of some of my LEGENDS. Slightly more overrated (arguable) to capture their greatness, similar to FIFA legend cards.
*I'm South African, so Jacques Kallis is the best cricketer ever.
*Also, this is just my interpretation, everybody will have their own opinions.
*Apologies for the Essay and Case Study.
Waste's original skill system was like this however he felt it made some of the players really overpowered

LiamCobra

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Waste's original skill system was like this however he felt it made some of the players really overpowered
I thought someone must have done it like this before. Must have missed it coming into the community pretty late, but sick to know nonetheless.
Must say though, I've not found it too OP. I play on the hardest difficulty for bowling and fielding and then a Custom Difficulty for batting, and haven't found it either, too hard to play the top bowlers, or get wickets against the best batsmen.
Solidly competitive.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
I thought someone must have done it like this before. Must have missed it coming into the community pretty late, but sick to know nonetheless.
Must say though, I've not found it too OP. I play on the hardest difficulty for bowling and fielding and then a Custom Difficulty for batting, and haven't found it either, too hard to play the top bowlers, or get wickets against the best batsmen.
Solidly competitive.
Can you share the name of your database , I might give it a shot tonight.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It was more to do with a haphazard application of perks that might lead to the skills going out of whack (e.g. a player becoming much better than I intended because of giving them loads of perks). I went back and applied a more methodical and balanced method.

I'd prefer it if you could apply as many skill points as you like to a player and then perks were limited by the role. So a batsman might be able to have 5 batting perks but only 1 bowling perk and a Batting All Rounder might have 4 batting perks 2 bowling perks.

I'd also prefer if the majority of perks weren't just skills boosts.

Users who are viewing this thread