Pitch wear....

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Pitches really need to get character both visually and in gameplay

Green pitch needs to produce moments like these, play in your mind whether the ball is going to hold the line or move. Need to have seam movement like this on these pitches.

This needs to be in game, the seam movement and movement of ball hitting cracks and deviating etc.

And look at that pitch how its looks, need pitches to have wear and tear and looks like that
, the pitches now look drabber than baked dung.

https://www.cricket.com.au/video/mi...alia-england-ashes-waca-third-test/2017-12-17

https://www.cricket.com.au/video/jo...d-ashes-waca-third-test-highlights/2017-12-18

I've had one like that on a grassy wicket where I got absolutely beaten, missed off stump by a fraction.

Few and far between though, and that was early in a match so very little wear

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Gut feel at this point in time , is that the perceived pitch wear is only cosmetic.

But once the "Ross flips his switch" moment happens , then hell breaks loose and you start nicking off for a couple of overs , and then it passes as the switch is flipped back off.

This repeats itself several times over the 5 days , but nowhere in this period , you can feel the pitch playing any different than day 1.

Hester

County Cricketer
Gut feel at this point in time , is that the perceived pitch wear is only cosmetic.

But once the "Ross flips his switch" moment happens , then hell breaks loose and you start nicking off for a couple of overs , and then it passes as the switch is flipped back off.

This repeats itself several times over the 5 days , but nowhere in this period , you can feel the pitch playing any different than day 1.

This feels true, however, even the cosmetic element feels broken. It works during the Ashes Series but not in any other game mode in my experience.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
It works in other Game Modes .

But just depends. Sometimes you have to first bowl a ball in the over for it to re-appear.

Sometimes you have to save and exit and get back in , then you see it. Etc etc.

Very difficult thing , this pitch graphic thing hey , This year April will be 4 years since release of DBC14 , and still we are waiting , hoping ...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It works in other Game Modes .

But just depends. Sometimes you have to first bowl a ball in the over for it to re-appear.

Sometimes you have to save and exit and get back in , then you see it. Etc etc.

Very difficult thing , this pitch graphic thing hey , This year April will be 4 years since release of DBC14 , and still we are waiting , hoping ...

From my experience pitch deterioration is cosmetic. Resumed a Test match the other day and saw a crack down the middle of the pitch. A few deliveries from the quicks (mostly from Morkel as was batting against SA) but I didn't see any deviation at all. The ball behaved pretty much as it would if the cracks weren't there.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Same I had with my Online Test against a Mate of Mine.

We explicitly targeted the Cracks , didnt make any difference at all.

But boy o boy , pick the Cutter ball shortish , and you are moving it double the distance that Warne can move it....

Hester

County Cricketer
OK, not that anyone doubted it but can confirm that visual wear is glitched. I've been inspecting the pitch via replay throughout day 2 test match on casual and there were no cracks showing. Took a wicket and the close up auto replay showed cracks around the crease. However, on manual replay inspection there are no cracks. [HASHTAG]#bugged[/HASHTAG]

W.G. Grace

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
OK, not that anyone doubted it but can confirm that visual wear is glitched. I've been inspecting the pitch via replay throughout day 2 test match on casual and there were no cracks showing. Took a wicket and the close up auto replay showed cracks around the crease. However, on manual replay inspection there are no cracks. [HASHTAG]#bugged[/HASHTAG]

Yep, I can confirm this. Pitch wear intermittently disappears and reappears at random points throughout matches and as Hester said, this is more noticeable when watching replays. It's really off-putting, and unfortunately takes away immersion from what otherwise is a really great game that you can get lost in for hours.

Incidentally, any confirmation over whether pitch wear has any affect on gameplay, or is it merely aesthetic?

graham

Club Captain
True the pitch marks can disappear at change of overs and batsman , simple way to keep pitch marks is move your bowler other side of wicket and the pitch marks are there , then move your bowler back to the side you want to bowl.
Works every time and means you keep the immersive game going .

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Pitch wear has had little impact in any of the games it’s nothing more than cosmetic. This is another feature that SWC 99 had that worked that isn’t replicated currently and that game is 20 years old

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
We aren't even able to tell that pitch character has any effect (i.e. whether green plays different than dusty, pristine than worn etc.) much less footprints and cracks

Playcrick85

Club Cricketer
I was playing a career test as aus opener yesterday on Xbox (Legend/hardest). it was a wearing/crumbly pitch & there were visible marks as days progressed. however, absolutely no impact on the game play. Aus scored 368 in first inning with India making 524. Aus second inning made 760 & India got all out for 300 odd...all this in 5 days on subcontinent pitch......quickly losing interest :( (Indian off spinner was Aswin with around 85 rating & he went run a ball).

Users who are viewing this thread