Review Planetcricket.net Official Review

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Do you guys think that we could expect a patch for the PC version at least? Im obviously clueless about these sorts of things so if they do release one, which of the issues mentioned in barmyarmy's review could be corrected in a patch?

P

pcfan123

Do you guys think that we could expect a patch for the PC version at least? Im obviously clueless about these sorts of things so if they do release one, which of the issues mentioned in barmyarmy's review could be corrected in a patch?

If there is an official patch then it will be for all the platforms

SalmanWahidi

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great Review

Ashes Cricket 09 – just not cricket?
I just wanted to thank you for the review. Most of us cricket lovers does not look at the negatives of the game when it is new. After some time you know, we do see at the negatives. So far BLIC05 was the only game which I THINK, has got the balance in Batting & Bowling. This is an another version of BLIC07, with "Sovereignty belongs to Batsmen" rule. I was watching Sri Lanka vs Pakistan 5th ODI, I saw that some time the good balls were punished badly, and some time the batsmen were got out while playing the perfect shot. In this game, if you play on a perfect timing (or even good) you can not be out. I got disappointed to see so less positions in the field in the field placement. I placed 4 fielders on the offside... 1 At Point, 1 At Covers and 2 At Extra Covers... still broad smashed me through the fielders at Point and Cover on a ball that was a Leg Cutter just outside Off-Stump at a good length. What is this??:mad: Still a VERY VERY good game though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
So yeah whats the next step now that we all agree on the faults? Do we sit in hope for a patch or do we forward these issues onto Codies/Transmission eventhough they probably check the forum regularly?

I think something needs to be done regarding this. I mean for a change we have a game with a lot of potential and a patch is a great necessity - I honestly think if the runouts/weird AI pacings get sorted out and somehow a stats tracking system is included (not sure if thats possible with a patch since it is non-existent), it will be a game which will have great longevity.

kenpat

Club Cricketer
So yeah whats the next step now that we all agree on the faults? Do we sit in hope for a patch or do we forward these issues onto Codies/Transmission eventhough they probably check the forum regularly?

I think something needs to be done regarding this. I mean for a change we have a game with a lot of potential and a patch is a great necessity - I honestly think if the runouts/weird AI pacings get sorted out and somehow a stats tracking system is included (not sure if thats possible with a patch since it is non-existent), it will be a game which will have great longevity.

That means they won't be able to sell the next version if they make this one to good. Look at Tiger Woods or Fifa series, they produce a slightly better one each year (although some people will argue against that). They want people buying each new version and unfortunately this often means that support for a game is lacking. I pre ordered and have AC09 and will play it but having experienced Codemasters before, in various gaming catagories I suspect I'll be buying and playing the next one for improvements.
I'm dl ing ICC 2009 & CC 09 to try so I will be interested in the support that these smaller developers give to their products. (which judging from the forums seems to be very good)

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
That means they won't be able to sell the next version if they make this one to good. Look at Tiger Woods or Fifa series, they produce a slightly better one each year (although some people will argue against that). They want people buying each new version and unfortunately this often means that support for a game is lacking. I pre ordered and have AC09 and will play it but having experienced Codemasters before, in various gaming catagories I suspect I'll be buying and playing the next one for improvements.
I'm dl ing ICC 2009 & CC 09 to try so I will be interested in the support that these smaller developers give to their products. (which judging from the forums seems to be very good)

Well I understand your point, but then again the game isnt really all that much of an improvement. Sure its better yet the problems that persist are ones that are just resurfacing. Poor running, slow loopy bowling and NO stats.

On the other hand those games you mentioned are WAY better than what we got, we only seem to settle because we are used to crap. So even if they do fix all those problems in a patch they shouldnt feel like there isnt any more content they can put into a new game. MLB the Show or the FIFA series is obviously lightyears ahead and Im pretty sure it will be at least a couple more releases before we see anything even close to that.

So yeah, patching this game properly could work in their favour. Word of mouth alone would get them more sales when people realise that there finally is a proper cricket game out on the market. So I hope they dont shoot themselves in the foot here. Fixing this game up properly will mean much more to them in the long run than they think...just rehashing every game with little improvements will actually make them limit the amount of sales they eventually get.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
If they fix the game's few issues, they can concentrate fully on polishing the game up for the next in the series, in other words, concentrating on the presentation.

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
If they fix the game's few issues, they can concentrate fully on polishing the game up for the next in the series, in other words, concentrating on the presentation.

Exactly...still a pity that cricket gamers have to go through such hassel to get support and that our games lag behind so much. Globally cricket probably has the biggest following, apart from football. The American market is probably what counts I suppose....it shouldnt though - between the Asian and UK market cricket games should be pimped to the max!

P

pcfan123

Exactly...still a pity that cricket gamers have to go through such hassel to get support and that our games lag behind so much. Globally cricket probably has the biggest following, apart from football. The American market is probably what counts I suppose....it shouldnt though - between the Asian and UK market cricket games should be pimped to the max!

Well the problem is with all the rampant piracy in the subcontinent, the do not make much money selling games there. They have had to slash AC09 to about $10US in India to try to make some sort of profit.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Good review but I think 75 is too much of an high score. I think between 60-65 would be best bet!

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I gave BLIC2007 a 6 and this is much better. I really feel that despite the bugs this game has a lot of potential.

Sureshot

Executive member

We (ICC) knocked out the 1st patch in 3 days. Then again, it's a different process. We don't have a publisher now. Codies will definitely have a say in whether it gets patched or not. Patching in itself is not simple, it's a very risky process, where you can create problems by trying to fix others. From this master build and the demo, I think it's very clear that they've attempted to fix the AI running. It is a lot less aggressive, but they have induced problems with one batsman running, failing to take one run, when a three is on. Obviously we are on a different scale, but I'm pretty sure they'd know about quite a few of the issues within the master build, but couldn't do anything about it, due to time constraints. The month before the game went on sale, they wouldn't have developed for that master build at all.

An official patch for all platforms, could transform this in to the best cricket game ever. Some of the issues should be easily fixable. Bowling speeds probably the easiest. Crash bugs, if they can repeat the process to create the crash, should be fixable. AI running, again, depends how they built the code, likewise AI pacing. Though it's clear the AI is way too aggressive in Tests. There seem to be a few players breaking this exception.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
I do agree it has much potential but problems such as;

Run outs
High run rates in test matches
Lack of LBWs and bowleds
Bowling speeds
Good length Issue

need to be addressed for it to be a high score. Well that's my opinion anyway. Ok I was probably a bit harsh 70 seems fair

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I gave BLIC2007 a 6 and this is much better. I really feel that despite the bugs this game has a lot of potential.

Agreed, it has the best potential for a cricket game I've ever seen, including BLIC 99.

We (ICC) knocked out the 1st patch in 3 days. Then again, it's a different process. We don't have a publisher now. Codies will definitely have a say in whether it gets patched or not. Patching in itself is not simple, it's a very risky process, where you can create problems by trying to fix others. From this master build and the demo, I think it's very clear that they've attempted to fix the AI running. It is a lot less aggressive, but they have induced problems with one batsman running, failing to take one run, when a three is on. Obviously we are on a different scale, but I'm pretty sure they'd know about quite a few of the issues within the master build, but couldn't do anything about it, due to time constraints. The month before the game went on sale, they wouldn't have developed for that master build at all.

An official patch for all platforms, could transform this in to the best cricket game ever. Some of the issues should be easily fixable. Bowling speeds probably the easiest. Crash bugs, if they can repeat the process to create the crash, should be fixable. AI running, again, depends how they built the code, likewise AI pacing. Though it's clear the AI is way too aggressive in Tests. There seem to be a few players breaking this exception.

Do you reckon there will be a patch? I'd prefer if Codemasters didn't have a say, because I didn't like their idea of patching BLIC 2007 (non existant).

How are the guys breaking the AI's agressiveness?

Users who are viewing this thread