Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Some years ago, Cricinfo picked an All Time XI, by having journalists and former players pick an XI, and select the players with most votes to form an overall XI. Why not do the same here at PlanetCricket?
Each member can pick his/her Test XI, ODI XI and T20 XI. You can decide just to pick the Test XI, or the Test and ODI XIs, if you wish so. At the end, i'll select the players with most votes to form three PlanetCricket All Time XIs for all three formats.

The section below is only for those involved or interested in the PCPL.

After that, the three teams will face off against respectively the FC, OD and T20 champions of the PCPL in a five match series. @RUDOLPH @Na Maloom Afraad is that fine?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Test XI

:ind: Sunil Gavaskar
:eng: Sir Jack Hobbs
:aus: Sir Don Bradman
:ind: Sachin Tendulkar
:wi: Brian Lara
:wi: Sir Garry Sobers
:aus: Adam Gilchrist
:pak: Wasim Akram
:wi: Malcolm Marshall
:aus: Shane Warne
:aus: Glenn McGrath

ODI XI

:ind:
Sachin Tendulkar
:aus: Adam Gilchrist
:saf: Jacques Kallis
:sri: Kumar Sangakkara
:wi: Sir Viv Richards
:saf: AB de Villiers
:pak: Wasim Akram
:aus: Shane Warne
:pak: Saqlain Mushtaq
:pak: Waqar Younis
:aus: Glenn McGrath

T20 XI

:wi:
Chris Gayle
:nzf: Brendon McCullum
:ind: Virat Kohli
:aus: Chris Lynn
:saf: AB de Villiers
:ind: MS Dhoni
:wi: Andre Russell
:wi: Sunil Narine
:wi: Dwayne Bravo
:saf: Dale Steyn
:sri: Lasith Malinga

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Test

Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Kumar Sangakkara
Jacques Kallis
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Muttiah Murlitharan
Glenn McGrath

ODI

Sanath Jayasuriya
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Virat Kohli
AB de Villiers
Jacques Kallis
MS Dhoni
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Dale Steyn
Zaheer Khan

T20

David Warner
Brendon McCullum
Virat Kohli
AB de Villiers
Glenn Maxwell
Jos Buttler
Kieron Pollard
Sunil Narine
Mitchell Starc
Jasprit Bumrah
Lasith Malinga

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
TEST XI

Jack Hoobs
Sachin Tendulkar
Don Bradman
Kumar Sangakkara
Hanif Mohammad
Viv Richards
Garfield Sobers
Dennis Lillee
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

ODI XI

Ricky Ponting
Saeed Anwer
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
AB De Villiers
Viv Richards
Andrew Symonds
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Shoaib Akhter
Muttiah Muralitharan

T20 XI

David Warner
Chris Gayle
Brendon McCullum
Virat Kohli
AB De Villiers
Kieron Pollard
Dwayne Bravo
Umar Gul
Sunil Narine
Lasith Malinga
Saeed Ajmal

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
Sounds like a good idea. I'll do this one at a time if that's okay.

All-time Test XI

:eng: :bat: Jack Hobbs - A majority of his matches came after his 40th birthday. Yet he was still good enough to average in the mid-fifties.
:wi: :bat: Gordon Greenidge - He didn't average 50+, but on his day he could single-handedly win matches with innings like this. Ideal foil for the generally watchful Hobbs.
:aus: :bat: Don Bradman :c: - Greatest batsman ever. Anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously kidding themselves. The leader of the 1948 Invincibles, which is why he gets to captain this side too.
:wi: :bat: Brian Lara - Capable of putting up monstrous scores like his 277 vs Australia, 375 and 400* against England. Only player to ever score 500+ in a FC innings.
:wi: :bat: Viv Richards - One of the most destructive batsmen in the history of the game. Can take on any bowling attack regardless of who's in it.
:wi: :ar: Garry Sobers - It was a tough one between him and Kallis. But he could bat anywhere, bowl both pace and spin, and was an awesome catcher at any position. A five in one player as Sir Don Bradman once called him.
:aus: :wk: Adam Gilchrist - The last person you'd want to see walking in after you've dismissed half the opposition. And for good reason.
:wi: :ar: Malcolm Marshall - Said to be the deadliest of the West Indian pace battery. Averaged 20.94 with the ball, so that pretty much says it all. Decent lower-order bat too.
:pak: :ar: Wasim Akram - The best left-arm fast bowler of all time. Could seriously give it a thwack with the bat as well.
:aus: :bwl: Shane Warne - Whatever his other faults, you can't deny he was a true spinning genius. His record on Indian pitches is perhaps the only blemish in an otherwise brilliant career.
:aus: :bwl: Glenn McGrath - His impeccable accuracy and knack for targeting the opposition's best batsmen made him one of Australia's most valuable assets in the late 90s and early 2000s, when they dominated Test cricket like few sides before.
:eng: :bwl: George Lohmann (12th man) - He of the mighty Test bowling average of 10, albeit on demonic 19th century pitches.

I'll admit, it does look an awful lot like a AUS-WI mashup XI. But these are the players I genuinely consider the best for an all-time XI in my opinion. A 2nd XI would feature several other nationalities. Ah, what the hell..

2nd XI

:ind: :bat: Sunil Gavaskar
:aus: :bat: Matthew Hayden
:aus: :bat: Ricky Ponting :c:
:ind: :bat: Sachin Tendulkar
:saf: :ar: Jacques Kallis
:zim: :wk: Andy Flower
:pak: :ar: Imran Khan
:usa: :ar: Bart King
(I know he didn't play Tests, but I simply don't care)
:wi: :bwl: Michael Holding
:eng: :bwl: Sydney Barnes
:sri: :bwl: Muttiah Muralitharan

I'll try to post the ODI XI tomorrow if I find the time. T20s? Meh, don't care anyway..

S

Satan666

So to be clear OP @CerealKiller since we are not interested in or part of the PCPL we cannot post on a thread in the CRICKET DISCUSSION FORUM?

Btw just want to be clear on this as I dont want to derail the purpose of your thread. Thanks in advance.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
All-Time World Test XI

I've tried to pick a team here to go out and win a Test match.

:aus: :bat: Matthew Hayden (:bat: average: 50.73, TPC batting points: 305)
Matthew Hayden might not be everyone's first choice for an opener, but he boasts 30 Test tons, 23 of them in wins. That's the importance of setting the tone.

:eng: :bat: Jack Hobbs (:bat: average: 56.74, TPC batting points: 265)
He bats at a much slower tempo than the rest of this team, but that's the point - he's the glue that holds this team together.

:aus: :bat: Donald Bradman (:bat: average: 99.94, TPC batting points: 586)
Not only did Bradman score huge amounts of runs, but he also scored them faster than Sobers, Tendulkar or De Villiers)

:wi: :bat: Vivian Richards (:bat: average: 50.23, TPC batting points: 348)
In a team this good, it's worth pointing out that Sir Viv "only" averaged 50. But he scored them at over four an over.

:aus: :bat: Steven Smith (:bat: average: 61.05, TPC batting points: 347)
Maybe it's premature to select Steven Smith for an all-time XI, but he does have the second-highest Test average ever after 50+ innings.

:pak: :ar: Imran Khan :c: (:bat: average: 37.69, TPC batting points: 179 / :bwl: average: 22.81, TPC bowling points: 97)
As impressive as his numbers look, they're even more so with him as captain: :bat: (ave: 52.34, 242 points) and :bwl: (ave: 20.26, 83 points). Superhuman.

:aus: :wk: Adam Gilchrist (:bat: average: 47.60, TPC batting points: 390)
Adam Gilchrist single-handedly redefined the Test wicket-keeper. He scored his runs at about five an over, which always helps.

:saf: :ar: Trevor Goddard (:bat: average: 34.46, TPC batting points: 124 / :bwl: average: 26.22, TPC bowling points: 72)
As well as being the perfect firefighter down the order, Goddard was basically a left-armed Shaun Pollock but better. His career economy is 1.64.

:wi: :bwl: Curtly Ambrose (:bwl: average: 20.99, TPC bowling points: 81)
In an era of superhuman West Indian fast bowlers, it's Ambrose who stands head and shoulders above the rest of them.

:sri: :bwl: Muttiah Muralitharan (:bwl: average: 22.72, TPC bowling points: 94)
He played in a faster scoring era, so his points score is higher than Goddard, but it's still about 20% better than Shane Warne's 112.

:aus: :bwl: Glenn McGrath (:bwl: average: 21.64, TPC bowling points: 90)
The same disclaimer applies to Murali, but he managed an even better set of numbers than the great off-spinner.

Controversial that I've not picked Tendulkar, Sobers, Warne, Lillee, etc. but as is often the case, I've run the numbers.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
So to be clear OP @CerealKiller since we are not interested in or part of the PCPL we cannot post on a thread in the CRICKET DISCUSSION FORUM?

Btw just want to be clear on this as I dont want to derail the purpose of your thread. Thanks in advance.
You can post your XI even if you're not interested in the PCPL.

S

Satan666

You can post your XI even if you're not interested in the PCPL.

Thanks for the reply bro. Will post the teams later. Once things are legit wont mind a couple exhibiton matches. Hell who wouldnt want the controversial one in PCPL?

Anyways goodluck with this, marvellous idea.

B

Bigby Wolf

Some years ago, Cricinfo picked an All Time XI, by having journalists and former players pick an XI, and select the players with most votes to form an overall XI. Why not do the same here at PlanetCricket?
Each member can pick his/her Test XI, ODI XI and T20 XI. You can decide just to pick the Test XI, or the Test and ODI XIs, if you wish so. At the end, i'll select the players with most votes to form three PlanetCricket All Time XIs for all three formats.

The section below is only for those involved or interested in the PCPL.

After that, the three teams will face off against respectively the FC, OD and T20 champions of the PCPL in a five match series. @RUDOLPH @Na Maloom Afraad is that fine?
A dbc 14 or 17 streaming of these matches would be good.

S

Satan666

Test IX

:saf::bat:Barry Richards
:aus::bat:D. Bradman
:aus::ar:R. Ponting*
:wi::bat:BC Lara
:wi::ar:Viv Richards
:wi::bat:C. Lloyd*
:aus::wkb:A. Gilchrist+
:aus::bwl:S. Warne
:wi::bwl:M. Marshall
:pak::bwl:W. Akram
:nz::bwl:S. Bond

12th man (Virat Kohli)

Bond and Barry didnt play much test matches but had they played more I am of the firm belief they'll easily had stellar stats. The SA isolation from the game really deprived fans of a legend in Barry Richards. Two captains in Ponting and Lloyd dont know which is the best!

ODI IX

:saf::bat:H. Amla
:aus::wkb:A. Gilchrist
:ind::bat:V. Kholi
:wi::ar:Viv Richards
:pak::ar:Imran Khan*
:ind::wkb:MS Dhoni*
:saf::bwl:A. Donald
:wi::bwl:J. Garner
:pak::bwl:W. Akram
:pak::bwl:Waqar Younis
:pak::bwl:Shoaib Akthar

12th man (Saqlain Mushtaq)

T20 IX

Sorry about T20 teams, dont follow the format as much and despise it in general!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
All-Time World Twenty20 XI

Click here for my Test XI

Okay, so after my rather scientifically picked Test team, I'm going to take on the other extreme of Twenty20 cricket. ODIs will come later, once I've decided on the balance I want for that team.

Please note that the noticeably higher scoring pace of Twenty20 cricket will result in much higher figures for TPC rating points. This does not mean Chris Lynn is better than Bradman, just that I never bothered to normalise the figures.

:aus: :bat: Chris Lynn (:bat: average: 37.86, TPC batting points: 560)
He really has turned himself into the consummate Twenty20 opening batsman, especially in the last two years or so. Complete licence to go hard at the new ball.

:wi: :bat: Chris Gayle (:bat: average: 40.03, TPC batting points: 597)
Strange as it sounds, Gayle is my watchful opener; the straight-man to Lynn's brutality. Once the lacquer is off the ball, and he has played himself in, he goes big.

:aus: :ar: Glenn Maxwell (:bat: average: 24.56, TPC batting points: 387)
Glenn Maxwell is a batsman who scores his runs at 9.42 per over, and faster on good days. He too has complete license to go hard at the bowling. Also bowls filthy off-spin.

:eng: :bat: Graeme Hick (:bat: average: 36.39, TPC batting points: 568)
Your most adaptable T20 batsman goes at four, and Graeme Hick had the patience to stave off a collapse if necessary. He also scored his runs at 9.36.

:wi: :ar: Andre Russell (:bat: average: 24.18, TPC batting points: 398 / :bwl: average: 25.66, TPC bowling points: 345)
Surprisingly, the maths would suggest that he's not a very good all-rounder. The maths also fails to account for him having the highest strike rate in the team.

:nzf: :bat: Brendon McCullum :c: (:bat: average: 31.13, TPC batting points: 431)
He's used to batting up the order, but even in a different role I'm still looking for the 2015 CWC-spec McCullum who does stuff like this.

:ban: :ar: Shakib Al Hasan (:bat: average: 20.66, TPC batting points: 253 / :bwl: average: 20.98, TPC bowling points: 237)
Shakib is one part of my three-pronged spin attack. He's also my firefighter with the bat, playing responsibly in case less than two of my top six come off.

:wi: :ar: Sunil Narine (:bat: average: 13.14, TPC batting points: 186 / :bwl: average: 18.46, TPC bowling points: 181)
I can't believe I'm labelling him an all-rounder, but the stats prove it. Bowling wise, I've picked the just-before-the-ICC-banned-him-for-chucking version.

:eng: :wk: Ben Scott (:bat: average: 15.56, TPC batting points: 162)
An entirely left-field selection, but Ben Scott is the best wicket-keeper I've ever seen. Somewhere on the internet there's a video of him standing up to Dirk Nannes for Middlesex.

:sri: :bwl: Lasith Malinga
(:bwl: average: 18.32, TPC bowling points: 208)
Malinga's numbers look good to start with, but are even more so if you consider that he's spent most of his overs bowling in PowerPlays and at the death.

:wi: :bwl: Samuel Badree
(:bwl: average: 20.49, TPC bowling points: 197)
He's not a particularly scary spinner to face, but he's impossible to get away. In fact, he's the most economical T20 bowler in history (followed by Narine).

I dare you to put together a Twenty20 team that would beat this one.

S

Satan666

All-Time World Twenty20 XI

Click here for my Test XI

Okay, so after my rather scientifically picked Test team, I'm going to take on the other extreme of Twenty20 cricket. ODIs will come later, once I've decided on the balance I want for that team.

Please note that the noticeably higher scoring pace of Twenty20 cricket will result in much higher figures for TPC rating points. This does not mean Chris Lynn is better than Bradman, just that I never bothered to normalise the figures.

:aus: :bat: Chris Lynn (:bat: average: 37.86, TPC batting points: 560)
He really has turned himself into the consummate Twenty20 opening batsman, especially in the last two years or so. Complete licence to go hard at the new ball.

:wi: :bat: Chris Gayle (:bat: average: 40.03, TPC batting points: 597)
Strange as it sounds, Gayle is my watchful opener; the straight-man to Lynn's brutality. Once the lacquer is off the ball, and he has played himself in, he goes big.

:aus: :ar: Glenn Maxwell (:bat: average: 24.56, TPC batting points: 387)
Glenn Maxwell is a batsman who scores his runs at 9.42 per over, and faster on good days. He too has complete license to go hard at the bowling. Also bowls filthy off-spin.

:eng: :bat: Graeme Hick (:bat: average: 36.39, TPC batting points: 568)
Your most adaptable T20 batsman goes at four, and Graeme Hick had the patience to stave off a collapse if necessary. He also scored his runs at 9.36.

:wi: :ar: Andre Russell (:bat: average: 24.18, TPC batting points: 398 / :bwl: average: 25.66, TPC bowling points: 345)
Surprisingly, the maths would suggest that he's not a very good all-rounder. The maths also fails to account for him having the highest strike rate in the team.

:nzf: :bat: Brendon McCullum :c: (:bat: average: 31.13, TPC batting points: 431)
He's used to batting up the order, but even in a different role I'm still looking for the 2015 CWC-spec McCullum who does stuff like this.

:ban: :ar: Shakib Al Hasan (:bat: average: 20.66, TPC batting points: 253 / :bwl: average: 20.98, TPC bowling points: 237)
Shakib is one part of my three-pronged spin attack. He's also my firefighter with the bat, playing responsibly in case less than two of my top six come off.

:wi: :ar: Sunil Narine (:bat: average: 13.14, TPC batting points: 186 / :bwl: average: 18.46, TPC bowling points: 181)
I can't believe I'm labelling him an all-rounder, but the stats prove it. Bowling wise, I've picked the just-before-the-ICC-banned-him-for-chucking version.

:eng: :wk: Ben Scott (:bat: average: 15.56, TPC batting points: 162)
An entirely left-field selection, but Ben Scott is the best wicket-keeper I've ever seen. Somewhere on the internet there's a video of him standing up to Dirk Nannes for Middlesex.

:sri: :bwl: Lasith Malinga
(:bwl: average: 18.32, TPC bowling points: 208)
Malinga's numbers look good to start with, but are even more so if you consider that he's spent most of his overs bowling in PowerPlays and at the death.

:wi: :bwl: Samuel Badree
(:bwl: average: 20.49, TPC bowling points: 197)
He's not a particularly scary spinner to face, but he's impossible to get away. In fact, he's the most economical T20 bowler in history (followed by Narine).

I dare you to put together a Twenty20 team that would beat this one.

What are TPC points?

Users who are viewing this thread