Potential future stars from the U-19 World Cup

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
For India though, the U-19 WC has unearthed quite a few stars for us, namely Yuvraj, Kaif, Harbhajan, Kohli, etc. Hope Chand also enters that category.

Yea if my memory is correct, i believe Yuvraj and Kohli are the only two players who starred @ under-19 world cups and was into the national teams and starred on the national stages almost immediately in some format (within 1-2 years)

Others i've noticed who eventually played for their national teams usually take a while.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I'm kind of glad Ian Chappell said what he said, it gives the 2 guys a sense of accomplishment and a sense of 'I'm almost there', motivates them.

And has Chappell ever done something like this before? I usually see him ranting about players, banking on them to become greatness, not really. Maybe he truly sees something in them that we don't, after all, he's the professional here.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
None of these players are ready for international cricket. They first need to strengthen themselves physically and put in some hard yards in the first class game. I know this article is about 2 Indian players but I think the exact same applies here. Don't put too much pressure on the kid, let him play his natural game, help him when he needs it and possibly in 2 years, if he continues to improve, pick him in the international set up.

I am not sure I agree with you there. After India's successful U-19 campaign in 2008 WC, Kohli was thrown into the mix right away. I think it was third tour after that U-19 WC and Kohli was picked straight away based solely on his performance in U-19 WC. After U-19 WC, we had a tri series in Bangladesh and thereafter we had Asia cup. In August, Kohli was in the team for Sri Lankan tour. So by that time, he was also lacking experience of International level. If you see his profile, he still has only 39 first class match experience.

I agree with what you said about preparing them or rather grooming them for at least 2 years in domestic games to give them better understanding of the game. It is also true that India currently have many players on the bench already which also does not help the cause to bring them straight away in the team. But I still think that selectors should keep a close eye on some of these players.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Unmukt Chand obviously, then Baba Aparajith might improve and become a decent all rounder. Pakistan's spinner Mohammad Nawaz is also pretty good, keeps things tight. Australia's fast bowlers have impressive also, they have been quick.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I am not sure I agree with you there. After India's successful U-19 campaign in 2008 WC, Kohli was thrown into the mix right away. I think it was third tour after that U-19 WC and Kohli was picked straight away based solely on his performance in U-19 WC. After U-19 WC, we had a tri series in Bangladesh and thereafter we had Asia cup. In August, Kohli was in the team for Sri Lankan tour. So by that time, he was also lacking experience of International level. If you see his profile, he still has only 39 first class match experience.

I agree with what you said about preparing them or rather grooming them for at least 2 years in domestic games to give them better understanding of the game. It is also true that India currently have many players on the bench already which also does not help the cause to bring them straight away in the team. But I still think that selectors should keep a close eye on some of these players.

Your last paragraph is basically what I've said.

The case of Kohli is the one in ten I was talking about.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
And what makes you think Chand can't be in this seemingly 'elite' group of one in tens?

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'm kind of glad Ian Chappell said what he said, it gives the 2 guys a sense of accomplishment and a sense of 'I'm almost there', motivates them.

And has Chappell ever done something like this before? I usually see him ranting about players, banking on them to become greatness, not really. Maybe he truly sees something in them that we don't, after all, he's the professional here.

Chappell's opinions should be respected, but to be fair i just feel he has gotten carried away a bit.

Suggested that Harmeet Singh currently is better than any test spinner in the world other than Swann is way over the top. Ajmal and Herath are obviously superior and of course Sunil Narine is hottest spin bowling talent in recent months.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Chand's batting. I admit a lot of you are picking his name cause of the final innings. However, he batted well throughout the tournament on a difficult wicket. Additionally, there was this U-19 game versus the Aussies wherein he thrashed them like 167 in 13-14 overs. He has definitely got talent.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Chappell's opinions should be respected, but to be fair i just feel he has gotten carried away a bit.

Suggested that Harmeet Singh currently is better than any test spinner in the world other than Swann is way over the top. Ajmal and Herath are obviously better still superior and of Sunil Narine is hottest spin bowling talent in recent months.

He's never been one to appreciate Pakistani spinners. :p

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
And what makes you think Chand can't be in this seemingly 'elite' group of one in tens?

I'm not saying he can't, in fact, if you read what I wrote in my first post I'm saying his the standout for India. The problem is, why go along with ifs and buts when a couple years in the domestic game, touring with the A side etc will make him an almost definite name for India (if he continues to perform as he has done and improves physically and hones his talent). Half the risk, double the results.

----------

He's never been one to appreciate Pakistani spinners. :p

Which is just plain stupid of him. I don't often agree with the crap he chats. Just wish Botham would knock him out again :lol

6ry4nj

International Coach

Suggested that Harmeet Singh currently is better than any test spinner in the world other than Swann is way over the top. Ajmal and Herath are obviously superior and of course Sunil Narine is hottest spin bowling talent in recent months.
Chappelli gets paid to make OTT pronouncements about players - he's not paid to put any thought into it before speaking. I don't (can you tell?) have a lot of respect for his opinion. If he was encouraged to put some thought into it, it MIGHT be a different story. There's every chance that he still has a canny cricket brain. So it's the not engaging it - the not needing to engage it - that's the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread