Are New Zealand the Next Big Thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stag

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
It has come to my attention lately that New Zealand could seriously look at becoming the next powerhouse of international cricket in just a couple of years time. While our current ICC ranking is shamefully below what we accurately represent as a cricketing nation, I think we have the players and coach to seriously challenge as one of the world's best teams before too long.

Already we have some superb depth in our lineup - the likes of Jesse Ryder, Martin Guptill and Ross Taylor in our batting lineup while in our bowling we boast some very impressive players, such as Daniel Vettori and Kyle Mills. That is not to mention that these two can also play majestic innings with the bat when required.

Still, I am leaving out the young stars though that will transform our currently-strong lineup into a world beating classy outfit. Kane Williamson has shown huge potential and is already arguably a better player than the likes of other touted stars, such as Umar Akmal and Eoin Morgan. But wait! I am forgetting Tim Southee! At just 21 he could play for another fifteen years and already I am more impressed by him than I am by the likes of Stuart Broad or Mitchell Johnson, who really are extremely overhyped. I am so excited about our future, this really should be amazing.

Let's not forget our recent results though. While our ICC ranking is poorly misguided, why don't we just take a look at our results? On the 22nd of May, 2010, we decimated the Sri Lankans for just 92 runs all out - with none other than Kyle Mills, Scott "Champion" Styris and Daniel Vettori proving to be the key factors. Now, let's look at India who are currently ranked as the top team in the world, although this is hugely arguable. Playing against Sri Lanka, they consistently allowed the Lankans to post massive, ludicrous scores such as 8/520, 4/642, 425 - and that's only in three test matches! This is the same team that we bowled out for just 92! Can you see the difference, people?!

Now, judging the 4/642 innings, Sri Lanka would've gone on to make approximately 1605 runs if they had not have declared. This figure is 17.44 times bigger than the one we bowled Sri Lanka out for. However, that is a bit unfair so taking into account all measurements and factors such as the pitch, weather and conditions I think that should only be around 10 times better. Still, we are 10 times better than India! Yet they are ranked above us on the Test leaderboard?

I think the ICC need to sort out their priorities here. But it shouldn't matter, for we are New Zealand, and we are on the way up.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Now, judging the 4/642 innings, Sri Lanka would've gone on to make approximately 1605 runs if they had not have declared. This figure is 17.44 times bigger than the one we bowled Sri Lanka out for. However, that is a bit unfair so taking into account all measurements and factors such as the pitch, weather and conditions I think that should only be around 10 times better. Still, we are 10 times better than India! Yet they are ranked above us on the Test leaderboard?

I think the ICC need to sort out their priorities here. But it shouldn't matter, for we are New Zealand, and we are on the way up.
LOL.

Jake went so far to disguise his identity, I'm pretty sure he has a soft spot for NZ though :p

Owzat

International Coach
Just imagine someone realeasing a book "the stag - his identity revealed".............................

kiwis did have a pretty good set of players, around 1999 wasn't it?

Robelinda

International Coach
There's been many times in NZ history when they've had much stronger teams than now, the current lot look to be somewhere near the bottom actually, I cant see them winning many matches against any of the top 5 teams. Around 2001/02/03 they looked good, but could only produce in odi's, like when they won the CT in 200) in kenya. They beat a very poor Eng side in 1999 of course and all power to them. Actually they have played very well in England in 2004 and 2008 in tests but were unable in both tours to really ram home a good advantage in many of the matches, and England coasted to victories easily when a tougher team wouldve made them work harder.

I like NZ cricket, i hope they do become a powerhouse, but really they need to stop being a different kind of 'house' first. :)

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
TBH it's a flingen joke how the West Indies are rated above us in tests... :facepalm

In one-day cricket I'd say we are definitely in the top four teams in the world, maybe in the top three, but in test cricket I'd say we're sixth equal with Pakistan, only ahead of the West Indies.

I could go on for hours arguing about how good a one-day team we are, as I have done numerous times before, but I think for the next decade or so we're always going to struggling at proper cricket test cricket, and the top five teams are going to push further ahead, while us, the West Indies, and Pakistan full further behind.

Hopefully when we win the WC in 2015, our test cricket will begin to pick back up again. ;)

Owzat

International Coach
Honestly think New Zealand will need some quality to come through if they're to reach the World Cup final, couple of solid batsmen and a quality pace bowler.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
The world cup is one-day cricket.
We already have one of the best one-day pace bowlers in the world, Kyle Mills...

However I'd say ATM we are one quality batsman and one quality bowler short, that's why we need Williamson and Southee to develop. ;)

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
New Zealand are a one match wonder of sorts but they always do well in World Cup. They are a good limited over side but have a long way to be among the top 3 in test cricket. Also vettori is not going to be there for ever. They depend too much on him test cricket specially.

irottev

School Cricketer
lol at this thread. They just lost to Bangladesh. What a bunch of losers hahahahaha. They're no hopers.

England are the next best thing. Their ODI side has leapfrogged sides they were previously below and they have to be one of the faves for the World Cup now. They also look good to win the Ashes and their T20 play is amoungst the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread