Pro Cycling thread

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
It is a long tour though and stage 15 could be crucial. If this was a normal tour I'd say that Froome had it in the bag but with the the crazy amounts of ascent who knows what will happen.
I repeat what I said before. Keep your eyes on Valverde and Rodriguez.

Tomorrow should be immense. I'm going to record it and watch it after the tennis :p What else do you do when the weather is perfect outside?

D

Dutch

It is a long tour though and stage 15 could be crucial. If this was a normal tour I'd say that Froome had it in the bag but with the the crazy amounts of ascent who knows what will happen.
I repeat what I said before. Keep your eyes on Valverde and Rodriguez.

Tomorrow should be immense. I'm going to record it and watch it after the tennis :p What else do you do when the weather is perfect outside?

Ha ha! yeah everyone is moaning about the rain and when it is nice and sunny we watch TV! I still don't think anyone will get near Froome in the climbs. that Sky train is huge and everyone took big hits today; it wont be easy for them to recover and I think Froome will put it beyond contention tomorrow or at least create such a gap that no-one will be able to get close. They will have to attack on two or three climbs and I just cant see it happening. As for the time trial Froome has improved a lot. He might not win it but he wont lose minutes.

I think he is looking stronger than Wiggins did.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Contador time trialled really badly in the Dauphin?. Provided Tony Martin has recovered enough from his injuries he'll be the favourite as Cancellara isn't riding this year.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well I was wrong about it being boring. All Froome's teammates gone with 100k to go.
Movistar and Saxo Tinkoff look strong.

D

Dutch

Real test of strength this for Froome. They will be shaken up with the Sky team falling apart so quickly.....but this will all be taking its toll on the rivals as well. Classic stage.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Even better ride by Froome than yesterday. Must be a real worry how quickly the rest of the team crumbled. With big mountain stages to come he can't expect to survive them without teammates.

D

Dutch

Even better ride by Froome than yesterday. Must be a real worry how quickly the rest of the team crumbled. With big mountain stages to come he can't expect to survive them without teammates.

True but he looked in good control even if he was on his own and it is one thing for his rivals to keep launching attacks but that too costs heaps of energy, especially when you see he can parry them reasonably easily. Porte had a massive breakdown today. 15 minutes off the pace. Good thing is he can forget his own ranking and all efforts go towards Froome. They have a rest day tomorrow. I think Froome will be well pleased to have come through all that strongly. How the team picks up from here is another question. Some flat stages to come so I good chance to recouperate. Really difficult for anyone to eat time away on flat stages. I think you are right: next Sunday will really decide who and what. That is a horrendous climb into Mont Ventoux: 21 km climb with an 7,5 % average.

Just noticed that that stage next Sunday is 14 juillette....Bastille Day....expect lots of Frenchies having a bang!

Last edited by a moderator:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Why didn't the 2nd place Spanish guy attack? I would've thought that if he did the old one - two attack with his teammate (the young Columbian guy) who was attacking that they might've cracked Froome.

D

Dutch

Why didn't the 2nd place Spanish guy attack? I would've thought that if he did the old one - two attack with his teammate (the young Columbian guy) who was attacking that they might've cracked Froome.

I think we have to realise that it took a lot out of the challengers as well to go up and down four mountains at that pace and seeng that everytime you try to break the man he sticks with you.

It isnt just a question of, oh I have my team mate with me therefore I am twice as strong. No, you still have one pair of legs. If those legs have had enough, they have had enough. I think that they would have been hanging on a lot more than they would like to admit.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think we have to realise that it took a lot out of the challengers as well to go up and down four mountains at that pace and seeng that everytime you try to break the man he sticks with you.

It isnt just a question of, oh I have my team mate with me therefore I am twice as strong. No, you still have one pair of legs. If those legs have had enough, they have had enough. I think that they would have been hanging on a lot more than they would like to admit.

Yeah, fair enough, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the Alps. Even if they do break Froome they still have to take like a minute and a half on him as well.

D

Dutch

Yeah, fair enough, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the Alps. Even if they do break Froome they still have to take like a minute and a half on him as well.

Yeah, the Alps in the last week will be a killer. You can quite realistically make up minutes in the mountains. Porte lost 18 minutes on Sunday. Was second, now thirty third!

The coming stages will be sprints or lone riders. Dont expect anyone to gain much till Sunday up the Mont Ventoux.

Sky have been looking at their tactics. Will be interesting to see what they have come up with.

I think it will be much more defensive until the mountains again. Let the others work their socks off and just follow.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Quintana was strong but Porte was right when he said that he went too early on stage 7. He's got the ability to accelerate on the steepest parts of the climbs and I can see him doing that in the Alps and Valverde picking up the pieces if Froome hits the wall following.

D

Dutch

Quintana was strong but Porte was right when he said that he went too early on stage 7. He's got the ability to accelerate on the steepest parts of the climbs and I can see him doing that in the Alps and Valverde picking up the pieces if Froome hits the wall following.

What do you make of sky changing tactics Colin? What do you think they will want to do differently now?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well they've said they're going to change tactics. I assume it means they won't be setting the pace and driving the peleton. That was expected anyway on the flat stages but I think Brailsford is saying that comes the Alps Sky aren't going to sit on the front and tire out their riders. If Movistar and Saxo Tinkoff want the yellow jersey they're going to have to do the work.
We'll see.

D

Dutch

Time trial today. Froome wont win it but he will most defintely be looking to put some more space between him and his main rivals.

Cavendish lost it yesterday, literally! He was very frustrated at the end but I dont think he can be really blamed for the accident.

Sunday will be a great day....

A. The first test will be decided in Englands favour
B. The Alps beckon!

Users who are viewing this thread