Pro Cycling thread

D

Dutch

Watching the time trial Colin between the cricket? Martin rode nearly 55 average!

Last edited by a moderator:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I'm going to switch over at 2pm once coverage starts here. I predicted Martin to win (he's clearly got over his crash) but I reckon Froome won't be far behind. Remember that he was only just behind Martin at the Olympics last summer.
I'd actually have Froome as favourite for the second ITT as it's far hillier.

D

Dutch

I'm going to switch over at 2pm once coverage starts here. I predicted Martin to win (he's clearly got over his crash) but I reckon Froome won't be far behind. Remember that he was only just behind Martin at the Olympics last summer.
I'd actually have Froome as favourite for the second ITT as it's far hillier.

I can see Froome handing out a few right hooks today. I like the variation in stages they have during the tour but cant wait to get in the hills again.....whoops I' ll put this in the Cycle thread!

D

Dutch

Excellent stuff from Froome today. Cant see who will get close to him. The individual time trial in the mountains is pretty much his. One good day in the mountains and it is his.

We really have to put it into perspective. Martin rode an unbelievable time trial. only three men have ever ridden faster in the tour. Froome was only twelve seconds off that. An average of 54 km an hour for 35 minutes. Plus there were technical parts that would have been slower so to get that average will have been pushing 60 or more on certain parts.

He also had more wind against him in the final section than Martin. Unbelievable thus.

I am getting to like Froome I must admit.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Both of the New Zealanders were involved in the crash today...

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Yeah as Griepel was involved chances are Greg Henderson was too. Didn't see Bauer go down. Nasty one for Boassan Hagen - Sky are now down to 7 riders only 3 of whom haven't crashed heavily at some point.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Cycling: Henderson feared elbow broken in crash - Sport - NZ Herald News

Fellow kiwi Jack Bauer, racing for Garmin-Sharp, ended up at the bottom of the pile after French rider William Bonnet cut in front of him.

"I think he was trying to avoid it and he went down. I was right on his wheel and crossed his wheel and I landed on the other side of the crash. I must of flown a bit," Bauer told bicycling.com after the stage.

"And then people just came piling on top of me. Made quite a mess of the old helmet."

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Fitting final stage in the Alps and I'm glad for Quintana that he won it. Valverde and Rodriguez both finished strong and think the former might have made the podium but for the mechanical problems they had on stage 9.

Well done Froomey though; second British winner in two years. :cheers

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I actually got quite into the last week, I found myself mainly watching it and just flicking over to the cricket to check the score. I never quite warmed to Froome though, haha, I'm not sure why.

D

Dutch

Fitting final stage in the Alps and I'm glad for Quintana that he won it. Valverde and Rodriguez both finished strong and think the former might have made the podium but for the mechanical problems they had on stage 9.

Well done Froomey though; second British winner in two years. :cheers

Is it me or is the British media quite quiet about this years winner? It seems that we are already coming used to the fact that British blokes win the Tour! Froome was remarkable and I really like the guy. Down to earth and a decent bloke. Expect much much more of him in the coming years. Will be great to see Quintanna and Froome battling it out next year. The tour needs at least two serious Classification riders to make it exciting.

Froomes winning margin is the biggest for a number of years.

Last edited by a moderator:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I was quite shocked reading the David Walsh article at the end to find out how much abuse Froome and Sky got from fans on this years tour.
Apparently people were spitting at the team car and chanting "dopers and cheats" at them.

As Walsh said these people were all wrong about Armstrong and now they're wrong about Froome.

Regarding media coverage, Wiggins winning it first has made a huge difference as has the fact that there is a lot of sporting success around again. The Lions, Justin Rose, the Ashes, Andy Murray etc. Froome will prob get an MBE but def not a knighthood.

D

Dutch

I was quite shocked reading the David Walsh article at the end to find out how much abuse Froome and Sky got from fans on this years tour.
Apparently people were spitting at the team car and chanting "dopers and cheats" at them.

As Walsh said these people were all wrong about Armstrong and now they're wrong about Froome.

Regarding media coverage, Wiggins winning it first has made a huge difference as has the fact that there is a lot of sporting success around again. The Lions, Justin Rose, the Ashes, Andy Murray etc. Froome will prob get an MBE but def not a knighthood.

Yeah the abuse has been utterly disgusting. I am surprised to hear nothing from Wiggo in reaction to Froome's win. Have you heard anything around the web or in the papers?

----------

Excellent article from Aunty Beeb.....like the facts and figures!

BBC Sport - Chris Froome wants to challenge for next five Tour de France titles

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
The only thing I've read is an article saying that he's not heard from Wiggins (but apparently Dave Brailsford has).
Interesting comparison between them I was reading as well. Wiggins is a bigger personality off the bike but boring as hell on it whereas Froome is quieter off the bike but fantastic to watch on it.

D

Dutch

Nice comparison. I love Froomes utterly manic and unorthodox style, the shoulders, the elbows, the crooked head........works though!

Users who are viewing this thread