Random Thoughts

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Haha, true. If I could go back to any time and place, it'd be Woodstock for sure......

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
It's been psychologically proven that what we think as 'good music' is generally what we've heard while we were growing up (Till the age of 12-13), and/or songs that relate to us personally.

I admit I like Linkin Park to release my frustrations, but I like loads of different music for loads of different reasons. Bob Marley, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Coldplay, The Fray, Robbie Williams, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, etc.

But that's because I didn't listen to a lot of music growing up (Apart from Hindi Songs, which I somehow remember the lyrics to despite not having heard them in years), I don't have a very strong taste in music on way or another. I'm able to enjoy Rhianna as much as I am able to enjoy Megadeth, Bob Marley as much as I enjoy Dragonforce, and mostly any good song depending on my mood. I have a slight tendency to favour rock, but enjoy everything. I even enjoy Nickleback at times, although they are generally boring and generic and repetitive and don't deserve to be called 'Rock'.

But for someone to say that they only enjoy music of a certain age, it must mean that either
a) They grew up listening to it, hence favouring it and putting it above other types
b) They're a wannabe.

So yea, the point of this was to say that you can't tell the difference between 'Good music' and 'commercially produced garbage' if you aren't biased as you need a standard against which you measure the quality of all other songs. If someone grew up listening to AC/DC, Metallica, etc. then Nickleback will sound crap to them. If you grew up listening to ealy R&B and Rap, then you'll love current pop but not understand what the deal with all these current Rock Bands is. A Led Zepplin/Aerosmith/Rolling Stones fan will probably not enjoy current rock as much, and label it all garbage.

But if you grew up not listening to any of these, then heard all the songs, and then went and said you think new stuff is crap, well, you're probably just full of it then and acting like a snob.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
they are generally boring and generic and repetitive
Exactly how I'd describe Linkin Park.

I'll also add that the Foo Fighters need to be shot for Wheels, which is the worst excuse for a song I've heard in a while, but then again most of those new songs put on a greatest hits album suck.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Linkin Park boring and generic? What are you listening too, a lot of their older stuff is very varied and interesting. I admit I don't like their newest album and new songs for that reason, but they have a lot of good stuff. Numb, In The End, What I've Done, Given Up, One Step Closer, Shadow of the day, Breaking the Habit...

Haven't heard anything new by Foo Fighters sadly, should really get around to that.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Linkin Park boring and generic? What are you listening too, a lot of their older stuff is very varied and interesting.
That's the problem, their older stuff was okay, but all their new stuff sounds almost identical to it.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
The Fray had so much potential, but all their music is too similar.

Anyone copy?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Agreed. Doesn't stop me from liking The Fray (:D)

Anyone heard that god-awful Video Phone song by Beyonce/Lady Gaga?

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yea it's laughably bad. Surprised Beyonce would do anything with her tbh.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Lady Gaga isn't that bad though. She (He?) has a few good songs. Just Dance, Poker Face...

ZoraxDoom added 2 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

That's the problem, their older stuff was okay, but all their new stuff sounds almost identical to it.
I actually think their newer stuff lacks the bite the older stuff did. Feels like all the other rock music there is. That 'Leave out all the rest' is just awful compared to their other stuff, and while is a decent song in itself, just feels like a cheap attempt at one of those slow emo rock things bands like Nickleback do. And then New Divide is nothing special, and I forget what other new stuff they have, but I remember not being impressed by it.

Users who are viewing this thread