MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Ah that's called Eggy Bread, we had it a lot in France. :)
Googled that, seems the same kind of thing - but this is when you make a cheese sandwich and then dip it in the same kind of mixture. Then the cheese gets nice and melted inside the eggy bread.

That said if I have an odd number of slices of bread I'll usually end up making something that seems exactly like that eggy bread with the last slice.

All those kind of things seem to talk about serving it with maple syrup though - I couldn't imagine doing that.

Princess Saffron

Top Hun
Ireland
ENG....
Profile Flag
England
Googled that, seems the same kind of thing - but this is when you make a cheese sandwich and then dip it in the same kind of mixture. Then the cheese gets nice and melted inside the eggy bread.

That said if I have an odd number of slices of bread I'll usually end up making something that seems exactly like that eggy bread with the last slice.

All those kind of things seem to talk about serving it with maple syrup though - I couldn't imagine doing that.
Oh no i wouldn't have maple syrup either, or honey. What you've described sounds nice, I've never tried it with cheese. My nan used to leave bread in the egg and milk mixture until the bread had soaked up the mixture, she then pan fried it with garlic cloves, but she would leave out the garlic cloves when making them for us. We just had them with ketchup.

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
How can you not love someone who loves cheese toasties?
One can love cheese toasties and still be a contemptible person you know :p

Essentially a french toast cheese toastie?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Essentially a french toast cheese toastie?
Basically, but every time I've looked up French Toast and see maple syrup, cream or fruit and I just assume there must be some extra ingredient or something that makes it something sweet?

So yeah, it's really just the five ingredients - bread, butter, cheese, milk, eggs.

Put butter on bread, put cheese between buttered bread and close (forming a sandwich), mix 2 eggs and a splash of milk with a fork in a larger than bread sized bowl, soak sandwich in egg mixture for 30 seconds to a minute, put butter in a saucepan, turn stove top on, place saucepan on stovetop, get it hot then reduce the temperature, put egged sandwich into pan - heat until lightly brown, flip, then heat until cheese is melted inside. Then remove from the pan, cut it diagonally, then eat.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One can love cheese toasties and still be a contemptible person you know :p
Ah that’s where you are going wrong in life. If you love cheese toasties it’s impossible to be contemptible
Find yourself a woman who loves cheese toasties and you can thank me later :p

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Basically, but every time I've looked up French Toast and see maple syrup, cream or fruit and I just assume there must be some extra ingredient or something that makes it something sweet?

So yeah, it's really just the five ingredients - bread, butter, cheese, milk, eggs.

Put butter on bread, put cheese between buttered bread and close (forming a sandwich), mix 2 eggs and a splash of milk with a fork in a larger than bread sized bowl, soak sandwich in egg mixture for 30 seconds to a minute, put butter in a saucepan, turn stove top on, place saucepan on stovetop, get it hot then reduce the temperature, put egged sandwich into pan - heat until lightly brown, flip, then heat until cheese is melted inside. Then remove from the pan, cut it diagonally, then eat.
I normally add a few pinches of cinnamon for sweetness. But some people add sugar and/or vanilla extract to the mixture too.

Never had it with cheese though definitely going to try it out now that you've mentioned it.

Princess Saffron

Top Hun
Ireland
ENG....
Profile Flag
England
I saw this once on Nigella Lawsons TV programme.
Place some doritos on a baking tray then sprinkle grated cheese over them, put them in the oven until the cheese melts, then serve as a snack.
I've never tried it but they did look delicious.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
I saw this once on Nigella Lawsons TV programme.
Place some doritos on a baking tray then sprinkle grated cheese over them, put them in the oven until the cheese melts, then serve as a snack.
I've never tried it but they did look delicious.
You mentioned the word cheese, of course it will be delicious :p

Princess Saffron

Top Hun
Ireland
ENG....
Profile Flag
England
I tried the Doritos with grated cheese sprinkled over the top, then put them in the oven to melt the cheese, i didn't like them, my little buddy loved them though! :)

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
I tried the Doritos with grated cheese sprinkled over the top, then put them in the oven to melt the cheese, i didn't like them, my little buddy loved them though! :)
Oh why didn’t you like them? At least your buddy liked them so your efforts weren’t wasted !

Princess Saffron

Top Hun
Ireland
ENG....
Profile Flag
England
Oh why didn’t you like them? At least your buddy liked them so your efforts weren’t wasted !
The cheese didn't go with the Doritos, maybe i should have bought cheese flavoured Doritos instead of plain ones. Yeah buddy loved them, he sprinkled the cheese on himself:).

Users who are viewing this thread