Rugby 08: A Highlanders World League Journey

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah sure. I haven't really got around to playing another game yet. I'm playing my Super 14 save a fair bit.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
How recent is the patch? I'm wondering if it's worth buying this game on PC

-D-S-B- added 1 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

It's funny how Jonah Lomu rugby which was made in the 90's is still up there with the recent games in terms of gameplay. Rugby 2012 should just aim at beating Lomu :laugh

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Rugby 08 is a great game. I always hired it on PS2 and saw it on PC and bought it. The update I am using is from the start of the 2010 season with updated rosters and kits/logos.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
April 10, 2010 - A & G Lions Vs Highlanders

The Highlanders suffered a shock defeat against Bennetton their previous match but would be looking to hit back strongly against the undefeated competition leaders. The Highlanders only change was Bekhuis in for Donnelly and they would be looking to upset the league leaders in today’s match.

Highlanders

1. Bronson Murray
2. Jason Rutledge
3. Chris King
4. Josh Bekhuis
5. Joe Tuineau
6. Alando Soakai
7. Juan Smith
8. Stephen Setephano
9. Jimmy Cowan (C)
10. Matt Berquist
11. Fetu’u Vainikolo
12. Jason Shoemark
13. Kenny Lynn
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Dagg

16. Jason Macdonald
17. Nic Henderson
18. Tom Donnelly
19. John Hardie
20. Scott Cowan
21. Michael Hobbs
22. Rob Robinson

A & G Lions

1. Kevin Buys
2. Hannes Franklin
3. Ross Geldenhuys
4. Jacque Lombard
5. Willem Stoltz
6. Cobus Grobbelaar
7. Wikus van Heerden
8. Derick Minnie
9. Jacques Coetzee
10. Herkie Kruger
11. Wandile Mjekevu (C)
12.Josh Tatupu
13. Deon van Rensburg
14. Michael Killian
15. Carlos Spencer

16. Charles Enslie
17. JC Janse van Rensburg
18. Franco van der Merwe
19. Todd Clever
20. JP Joubert
21. Burton Francis
22. H Daniller

The Highlanders kicked off before they go it back when the Lions booted it down field. Unfortunately for the Highlanders, they made a mistake and the Lions capitalized on it, scoring first less than 3 minutes in. Soakai hit back for the Highlanders though and 10 minutes into the match, it was 7-7. A great run from Israel Dagg off a kick return brought another try for the Highlanders, Berquist going over in the corner after a pass from Shoemark and it was the lead the Highlanders would have wanted. The half went on without anymore points but the Highlanders were still on top creating many chances. The final points of the half came off a penalty in the final minute, Berquist putting it over from 35 metres out to give the Highlanders a 17-7 lead going into the break. Could they hold on for a needed win though?

32802751.jpg

Soakai Hits back for the Highlanders

68573106.jpg

Highlanders Into the Lead

It wasn’t what the Highlanders wanted when their key forward, Juan Smith had to go off injured, John Hardie coming on to replace him. Would this be what the Lions needed to get back in it. A shocking pass from Israel Dagg gave the Lions the chance to get back into it and the Highlanders defence wasn’t good enough to hold out the continous forward runs from the Lions and now the margin was only 3 points. A penalty goal for the Highlanders though extended the lead to 6 with 20 minutes to go and now they were in a slightly more comfortable position. Killian nearly raced away for an intercept try 5 minutes from time after a risky pass from the Highlanders about 15 metres out from the opposition line and only a trademark tackle from Israel Dagg put him into touch and probably seal the game for the Highlanders. The Highlanders recorded a great victory over the Lions after surviving the final 4 minutes to win by 20 points to 14. They are now back in the hunt in 6th position.

45387855.jpg

Juan Smith in Pain

43406159.jpg

The Lions Back in the Game

59374425.jpg

Last edited:

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Losing their key forward Smith was a big blow but they managed to hold on.
The points table is pretty crammed and those 3 bonus points could be vital.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
April 17, 2010 - Highlanders Vs Connacht

The Highlanders back in the title race really needed a win over Connacht to have a chance of contesting for the WL3 title. John Hardie came back in for the injured Juan Smith. That was the only change to the Highlanders side which was pretty expected after their good performance the previous match. Connacht who were above the Highlanders on the ladder though would prove tough competition but a win for the Highlanders would put them above Connacht and likely above the Cheetah?s provided they win by more than 2 points. Their win against the Lions was crucial in giving them any hope to win the title.

Highlanders

1. Bronson Murray
2. Jason Rutledge
3. Chris King
4. Josh Bekhuis
5. Joe Tuineau
6. Alando Soakai
7. John Hardie
8. Stephen Setephano
9. Jimmy Cowan (C)
10. Matt Berquist
11. Fetu?u Vainikolo
12. Jason Shoemark
13. Kenny Lynn
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Dagg

16. Jason Macdonald
17. Nic Henderson
18. Tom Donnelly
19. Adam Thomson
20. Scott Cowan
21. Michael Hobbs
22. Rob Robinson

Connacht

1. Brett Wilkinson
2. Adrian Flavin
3. Ronan Loughney
4. Michael Swift
5. Bernie Upton
6. John Muldoon (C)
7. Mike McComish
8. Ray Treviranus
9. Frank Murphy
10. Ian Keatley
11. Troy Nathan
12. Keith Matthews
13. Niva Ta?auso
14. Fionn Carr
15. Gavin Duffy

16. Sean Cronin
17. Robbie Morris
18. Andrew Browne
19. Miah Nikora
20. Liam Bibo
21. Jamie Hagan
22. David Nolan

The Highlanders were going to go for it from kickoff and they did so, gaining most of the territory in the first 5 minutes before an up and under kick from Vainikolo was a good one landing on about the 22 where Shoemark took the catch before offloading to Berquist who passed it just before he was tackled and Lynn went in to score in the corner, Highlanders leading 5-0. The conversion from the touch line was a good one, and the Highlanders led 7-0 after 7 minutes. Israel Dagg was lucky not to be yellow carded when he tackled Loughney without the ball on the goal line but he was just given a warning and the penalty goal was converted and the score was 7-3 after 14 minutes. Connacht were on top from then on but the Highlanders defence remained strong giving no chance for any try to be scored. The Highlanders went back onto the attack though late in the half and Jimmy Cowan nearly scored but his run out of the ruck only resulted in a turnover one metre out from the goal line. The ball was put into touch though 10 seconds before the end of the half though from the 22 metre line and Berquist ran straight through from the lineup before cutting back to beat the fullback and was taken over the line by one of the defenders to give the Highlanders a 14-3 lead going into the break.

1_19.jpg

Shoemark Catches the Up and Under before Lynn goes in to Score

2_9.jpg

Berquist Extends the Highlanders Lead on the Buzzer

The kickoff from the Highlanders to start the second half was a great one with Lynn taking the ball before breaking free of the tackle before offloading to Berquist. The Highlanders continued to attack well through the phases but Berquist opted for the drop goal but went just wide with it and a 22 metre drop out was the result. Connacht were again troubling the Highlanders defence but again, they couldn?t crack them and the Highlanders then went on the counter, Smith running 60 metres to score under the posts and probably seal the game for the Highlanders at 21-3 after 56 minutes. The Highlanders had gained momentum after the try and the Highlanders were awarded a penalty for offside and Berquist slotted it over to give the Highlanders a 24-3 lead. Connacht had seemed to have given up with not much point of winning and Israel Dagg went over for the Highlanders to extend their lead to 28 points after the conversion and now the Highlanders had their bonus point. They would now sit in second place after this round provided Ulster didn?t take a bonus point win. The Highlanders weren?t done just yet with Kenny Lynn making a brilliant run down the wing before cutting back on the inside to beat the last defender and going to score under the posts and the Highlanders took a 38-3 lead. Although the result was fully settled, Connacht went over to score a consolation try in the 80th minute to lose by 38 points to 10, an outstanding result for the Highlanders.

3_9.jpg

Smith runs over 60 metres to score the Highlanders third

4_8.jpg

Dagg goes over for the Bonus Point Try

5_22.jpg

Lynn steps back on the Inside to Score his Second Try

6_3.jpg

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Great win in your latest match, probably your best of the season.
Also nice to see you right in the mix at the top of the table, and you've still got to verse 2nd and 3rd to bottom.
Is there promotion relegation, and if there is how many places?

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Top 2 promote from Div 3 and 2, Bottom 2 relegate from Div 1 and 2. I'm not sure whether one or 2 teams promote from league one into the Elite League since the Elite team has a lot less teams.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
um, not sure. I think the Blues are or they might be in Division 1. I know they are in one of my other saves in the third season. I'll check a bit later.

Burnsy1

Club Cricketer
Ah takes me back does this story. I last played Rugby 08 with a 2009 update which I really enjoyed, always thought it would be good for a story. alas I lost the cd which is a real shame. anyways keep it up pal.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Thinking of bringing this story back. I'd do it with the current Super 15 season but there are no patches with the latest rosters or anything and I'm too lazy to update everything so I'll probably bring it back just with this season and then maybe when the new game comes out in August, I think, I'll use that game instead for the Super 15 season.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Why don't you just restart it when the new game comes out?

Users who are viewing this thread