Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Makes financial sense for them to follow the model of every other major studio that does a sports game and release one yearly. They get money, we get cricket games. What's not to love? More money = better games. Be easy enough to skip a version and jump on it every second year as a consumer (read: me).

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
This is a valid point as long as the market is there to support it. I don't want to see them bankrupt themselves by putting in thousands of hours of dev time and only have 25% that bought the previous years version re-purchase. And I also don't want to see them release the same game each year simply with updated rosters and uniforms (no point considering there is an academy anyway). Cricket doesn't have the same appeal as football or basketball and things don't change as rapidly with regards to squads and grounds.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This is a valid point as long as the market is there to support it. I don't want to see them bankrupt themselves by putting in thousands of hours of dev time and only have 25% that bought the previous years version re-purchase. And I also don't want to see them release the same game each year simply with updated rosters and uniforms (no point considering there is an academy anyway). Cricket doesn't have the same appeal as football or basketball and things don't change as rapidly with regards to squads and grounds.
I reckon the global audience for cricket is far bigger than basketball.

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I reckon the global audience for cricket is far bigger than basketball.

Possibly bigger in terms of population, but smaller in terms of penetration and purchasing power. For a few more years at least.

You've got a few million in Aus and UK, but then x that number by people who play video games and it's a lot smaller. India is a massive market, but not necessarily the purchasing power to fund an annual video game. The remainder you're talking a few hundred thousand. Realistically you'd sell a few million copies at a stretch (I'd be interested to know the sales for DBC 17).

NBA 2K17 sold 8.5M copies reportedly.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Possibly bigger in terms of population, but smaller in terms of penetration and purchasing power. For a few more years at least.

You've got a few million in Aus and UK, but then x that number by people who play video games and it's a lot smaller. India is a massive market, but not necessarily the purchasing power to fund an annual video game. The remainder you're talking a few hundred thousand. Realistically you'd sell a few million copies at a stretch (I'd be interested to know the sales for DBC 17).

You're probably right about that. A BCCI or IPL license is probably the holy grail.

D

Dutch

You're probably right about that. A BCCI or IPL license is probably the holy grail.
True but what would the game have to look like to cater to that market.....no offence intended but the IPL just aint my thing....but If they can make a part of the game that really caters to this audience while holding on to the test cricket part as well then that would be great....

D

Deleted member 185125

Any additional license would only do good for the game. Ideal situation would be to have all teams licensed.:thumbs

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
True but what would the game have to look like to cater to that market.....no offence intended but the IPL just aint my thing....but If they can make a part of the game that really caters to this audience while holding on to the test cricket part as well then that would be great....
Are you telling me you wouldn't enjoy having a strategic time out every six overs?

mattk

Club Captain
Any BCCI or IPL license would be ludicrously expensive. Better without them in my opinion.

Having Australian and English domestic licenses is the next logical step in my opinion given they the main markets for the game. Even then I don't really see the need given the power of the academy.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Any BCCI or IPL license would be ludicrously expensive. Better without them in my opinion.

Having Australian and English domestic licenses is the next logical step in my opinion given they the main markets for the game. Even then I don't really see the need given the power of the academy.
And with 18 domestic teams in England, it saves us a lot of time creating stuff ;)

mattk

Club Captain
And with 18 domestic teams in England, it saves us a lot of time creating stuff ;)
To be honest you could have completely made up players in the county competition and I'd be none the wiser.

Australian domestic is the main thing I'll be checking out on the academy.

edit- The unpaid legends such as yourself are definitely going to make this game great. Sounds like your input in the Beta process has already improved things a heap. Makes me wonder where DBC 17 could have got to with the same process.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

Yup purchasing power isn’t enough relative to the population...

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India

I agree, getting a BCCI, IPL License would cost more, these administrators will be very much interested in money grabbing. The flexibility of Academy to create players/Teams/stadiums can offset the license from BCCI.
India is huge market for video games, BA should concentrate and invest in marketing their product here. I must say PC version will be more popular in India, may be 66-34 in favor of PC vs console version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread