South Africa in England

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'm not arguing that Trott doesn't have a good OD record, because he does, he's been brilliant in the past 2 seasons, but I think we need to give Bell a good run. He's an immensely talented player, and I think if given the backing he needs and the piece of mind that his place is secure he'll score some big runs. For me though, if he doesn't open he doesn't get in the team. Shah's better at 3, then I'd also have Flintoff, Collingwood, Wright and Patel in over him as well. Give him the entire of this series, and possibly the start of the India ODi series, if he continues to fail and bat within himself, then replace him, but we keep faffing about, chopping and changing and it doesn't do anyone any good. I say to give Bell a good run, let him develop a technique and a partnership with Prior.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bell opening is just a bit strange to me, and reaks of just finding any spot to fit him in the team. He seems incapable of scoring at a quick rate until he's faced 10 overs or so to play himself in, yet he also lacks a decent record of getting huge scores in ODIs. If he was capable of facing 130 balls and getting a ton, I don't think it would be an issue, but he has neither scored quickly enough, or simply scored enough to be the answer to our problems for me.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I'd expect Shah would be closer to the edge than Bell. Granted, if Shah does get some decent scores, they would probably look better than typical Bell scores, but if Shah's average gets any lower, you'd have to make him captain. You could also retain Bell more easily. Trott could bat at 3, or he could open, with Bell a proven no. 3.

Sureshot

Executive member
Shah's position in the ODI set up is not in question. His ODI form has been too good to even contemplate dropping him. Proved himself in many types of situations. He is so versatile. He's an under-rated performer and should be in the Test side somewhere.

India2011

Club Cricketer
^ But where? He could definitely be a substitute, but I don't see him in the team consistently.

I think the England ODI team is imrproving dramatically - enough to challenge India in the Seven ODI series later this year.

Sureshot

Executive member
He's a better batsman than Collingwood. Strauss, too. But then he isn't an opener. It might be controversial but I think he is better than Bell, too.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Smiths out of the 3rd ODi =D If both Smith and Morne Morkel are out South Africa are screwed. The batting and bowling was weak enough, who's going to come in to replace Smith ? I'm guessing De Villiers will open, with Ontong coming into the middle order ? Doesn't look anywhere near as strong. Haha, bowled out for 83 and their batting line up is weakened, bowled out for under 100 2 innings in a row?

nikhil_99

International Coach
Tennis elbow ends Smith's tour

Graeme Smith will miss the three remaining matches of South Africa's one-day tour of England, and is unlikely to play again until the tour of Australia in December, after failing to recover from a tennis elbow problem that has troubled him since the start of the tour. Jacques Kallis will stand in as captain.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/story/366583.html

He is a not only good player but a good captain too,and losing him for the imp tour is a big blow before the tour begins.But that series (SA vs Aus) will be a treat to watch,two big teams clashing.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Are you saying Shah scores no runs ? He's batted at 5 or 6 in the majority of games for England. He averaged 37 last year when batting at 6, with a hundred. He's one of the best batsmen in English county cricket, I'd say he's the 2nd best batsman in the ODi team, better than Collingwood, Bell, Flintoff, Patel, Wright, Bopara. He has a first class average of 42, he has 581 runs at 44.69 in List A games this year, he's a brilliant batsman. I said the same thing when you slagged off Luke Wright, you've obviously not seen much of the guy, and are basing your opinion on 1 or 2 international games that they've played, because if you'd looked at the stats, and seen him on form you definitely wouldn't be talking about dropping Shah.

Vcassano

Club Cricketer
He's right about Wright though. Not good enough in either department.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, I just can't really see Luke Wright developing into a proper cricketer. Still, i'd rather have him than Graham Napier. The calls for Napier to be in the England side are truely lolworthy.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Are you saying Shah scores no runs ? He's batted at 5 or 6 in the majority of games for England. He averaged 37 last year when batting at 6, with a hundred. He's one of the best batsmen in English county cricket, I'd say he's the 2nd best batsman in the ODi team, better than Collingwood, Bell, Flintoff, Patel, Wright, Bopara. He has a first class average of 42, he has 581 runs at 44.69 in List A games this year, he's a brilliant batsman. I said the same thing when you slagged off Luke Wright, you've obviously not seen much of the guy, and are basing your opinion on 1 or 2 international games that they've played, because if you'd looked at the stats, and seen him on form you definitely wouldn't be talking about dropping Shah.
All I'm saying is that better cricketers have been dropped and just being theoretically good doesn't automatically mean you get a 200 ODI career. You can rant on about how great you think he is, but he has to score runs. Collingwood, Bell and Flintoff have won games with their batting, not just one game.

And it's not simply been 1 or 2, it's been over 40 games.

I know he's had a great run over several recent domestic seasons. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a chance in a set position without the uncertainty hovering over his head, but in the end, chances are all you can give to a player.

Users who are viewing this thread