South Korea to launch 1 Gbps internet this year

gaurav_indian

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Super-Fast Internet to Debut This Year

By Kim Tae-gyu
Staff Reporter

South Korea, the world's most wired nation, continues to push the envelope on the speed of the broadband Internet and looks set to make 1 gigabit per second (Gbps) a commercial possibility.

The state-backed Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) said yesterday that it had developed fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) solutions that efficiently enable 1Gbps of data transmission speed.

``Thus far, only 16 customers can subscribe to 1Gbps services on a single optical fiber line. That is one of the main barriers to the commercial debut of the 1Gbps Internet,'' said Kim Byoung-hwi, an official at the Taejon-based institute, about 200 kilometers south of Seoul.

``However, we have created technology taking advantage of various length frames of optical fiber, increasing the number 32 fold to 512 users per cable,'' Kim said.

Kim projected the cutting-edge technique would substantially raise the commercial viability of the 1Gbps landline connectivity, which he expects to start this year.

The throughput of 1Gbps is fast enough to let people download a high-definition movie file in seconds. This currently takes several minutes using a regular network.

The speed is also roughly 100 times faster than the current norm of the wired Internet _ around 10 megabits per second.

``We developed the technology through an alliance with a domestic network equipment maker, which aims to commercially launch the 1Gbps Internet services late this year,'' Kim said.

In addition to the fixed-line connection, the 1Gbps speed is a crucial milestone in the world of the wireless Internet, a field in which Korea is also a trailblazer.

During last week's Fourth-Generation (4G) Forum on Cheju Island, the host Samsung Electronics demonstrated wireless platform, which promises a downlink speed of 1Gbps.

The 4G mobile system is defined as a network that transfers data at rates of 1Gbps for those at a standstill and 100 Mbps for those on the move.

Samsung projects the ultra-fast portable Internet will come to town by 2010 and the world's third-largest cellular phone maker seeks to unveil handset-sized terminals embracing the 4G system in 2008.

The Seoul-headquartered company already has handover technology, which helps users remain connected while moving between base stations, for the super-fast mobile platform.

The solution, which Samsung showed on a bus traveling at 60 kilometers an hour, is a must to phase in any mobility-specific service.
Source : http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/2006...9010168040.htm

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
1 Gbps..... wow.. it wud be of amazing speed then..... i cant even imagine that speed :happy

gaurav_indian

International Coach
surendar said:
1 Gbps..... wow.. it wud be of amazing speed then..... i cant even imagine that speed :happy
Even I can't imagine considering that i am getting 7-8 kbps download speed only.
:mad: :crying

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Is that even possible?

Your computer would have to be super duper fast will all that information coming within a second.......

langerrox

International Coach
.::Stevo::. said:
Is that even possible?

Your computer would have to be super duper fast will all that information coming within a second.......
i dont think so, its not rendering it or anything.

Brett_Lee

International Coach
WHOA!!

My Cable connections like Crap compared to that. But what are the costs for unlimited Downloads 1GBS internet :p

gaurav_indian

International Coach
.::Stevo::. said:
Is that even possible?

Ofcourse you need something for that and that something is your RAM.The higher it will be the better will be the speed.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think by 2015 or 2020, it could come to the United States or countries like that! It will take another 30 years to get to a country like India that is poor in Internet growth!

100mbps for cellular phones?? amazing.... can watch live movies on the go. with the amazing growth of technology, it would be like wiring yourself to the world and being on the move.

1Gbps? Right now, I am on 6mbps line and I consider this fast. 1Gbps would be 170 times faster than my current connection! Goodness gracious! Can download a whole DVD movie (9Gb) in less than 30 mins

gaurav_indian said:
Ofcourse you need something for that and that something is your RAM.The higher it will be the better will be the speed.

Possibly a 4Gb RAM????

Last edited:

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
nooo, it would still be slower that your DVD rom drive. so not that much power needed.
computers of today can handle these speeds.

as for india, i would consider myself luck to get hands on a 256Kbps unlimited connection!
1gbps for india might occur in about 100 yrs....

gaurav_indian

International Coach
saisrini80 said:
Possibly a 4Gb RAM????
Yes you need atleast 4Gb RAM.

blackleopard92 said:
nooo, it would still be slower that your DVD rom drive. so not that much power needed.
computers of today can handle these speeds.

as for india, i would consider myself luck to get hands on a 256Kbps unlimited connection!
1gbps for india might occur in about 100 yrs....
You know that broadand in India is not a broadband but dial-up.We guys get a download speed of 30 kbps in 256kbps connection and in the same speed outside India they get 100 kbps download speed.
:eek:

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
gaurav_indian said:
You know that broadand in India is not a broadband but dial-up.We guys get a download speed of 30 kbps in 256kbps connection and in the same speed outside India they get 100 kbps download speed.
:eek:
exactly what are u saying?

256kbps == 32KB/s is a universal truth. and I get that speed.

F4rrukh

Panel of Selectors
1GBps :eek: :eek: :eek: amazing speed! i would love to have this speed.. but donno when :(.

aitzaz

Club Cricketer
damn its making me crazy ? but the first thing that comes in my find after hearing 1 GBPS is how much $$$$ :D :P

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
well leo i think gaurav's right as i use a 128 kbps connection and i get download speed as 13-16 k :(

Also, in other countries, like for example USA, in 128 Kbps connection speed they get about 100 k download speed :( Thats what he is saying.

I would die with heartattact even if i get 10 MBPS , imagiune i wouldnt be here for 1 gbps :p

Users who are viewing this thread