South Korea to launch 1 Gbps internet this year

brad352

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Kshitiz_Indian said:
well leo i think gaurav's right as i use a 128 kbps connection and i get download speed as 13-16 k :(

Also, in other countries, like for example USA, in 128 Kbps connection speed they get about 100 k download speed :( Thats what he is saying.
8 kilobits (kb) = 1 kilobyte (KB)
128 kb/s = 16KB/s

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
well i dunno but i usually get speeds between 12-13 in day . and there is one relative of mine who tells me he has got a 128 kbps connection and he gets 100 kb download. maybe he is wrong :p

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
saisrini80 said:
100mbps for cellular phones?? amazing.... can watch live movies on the go. with the amazing growth of technology, it would be like wiring yourself to the world and being on the move.
Thats the Idea, I know earlier in the year they were trialing equipment here in the UK that would let you start watching a movie at home, pick up your phone, walk out the door and it would continue playing on your phone, then you get in your car and the movie continues (audio only for drivers of course). Then when you get home you can finish it off on your tv again. To be honest it sounds good but will people really want it? I'd rather they just made mobile phones that let you make phone calls without losing the signal all the time.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Kshitiz_Indian said:
well i dunno but i usually get speeds between 12-13 in day . and there is one relative of mine who tells me he has got a 128 kbps connection and he gets 100 kb download. maybe he is wrong :p
maybe he is confused( like thousands others :o) bwt KB/s(KBs) and kbps.

F4rrukh

Panel of Selectors
Leo here people who have 256kbps connection get a 100-150kbps download speed! and i have a download speed of 5-7mbps...

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Farrukh_|$B said:
Leo here people who have 256kbps connection get a 100-150kbps download speed!

really????

here what happens is,

if the speed is 256kbps then 256/8 = 32kbps is the download speed
and when its 128 then 128/8=16 is the download speed!!! And in afternoon time where there will be some heavy usage all over... it may be less than the calculated one and when its free time, it may slightly increase than the calculated one!!!

but 100-150 download speed at 256 is simply amazing!!! :cool:

gaurav_indian

International Coach
Farrukh_|$B said:
Leo here people who have 256kbps connection get a 100-150kbps download speed! and i have a download speed of 5-7mbps...
That proves my point Leo isn't it? :rolleyes:

F4rrukh

Panel of Selectors
Yes i am serios, from 256kbps you get 100-150 kbps which is a very annoying and slow speed! Bydaway the speed you get there i think i would crash my computer.. too anooying..

saurabh2185

International Cricketer
I think leo is right

kbps = Kilobits per second
KBps = Kilobytes per second

Check here

So Farrukh_|$B what exactly is your kbps stands for ;)
As mine is a 128 (Kilobits per second) net connection and i get a 16 (Kilobytes per second) download speed.

Last edited:

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The server is what makes the difference as to what your download speed. You won't always get the most out of the connection. Also the amount of load on the ISP will also affect it. ISPs oversell their connection ability, for example let's say they have a 10gbps backbone connection, they will sell around 50gbps worth of connections to homes for that 10gbps they actually have. They assume that you only will use your connection occasionally and that those people all won't use it at the same time. For the most part they are right, but during peak times you will obviously get less speed, and if the ISP has over-oversold you will never get the full speed you paid for. The fact more people are using their connections for things like streaming video now means that there is more demand for less capacity. Hence giving you slower speeds.

F4rrukh

Panel of Selectors
Oh ok sorry my fault, so a connection of 256kbps gets a download speed of 100 to 150KBps.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
How much will this 1 GBPS internet cost(not that I'm getting it- just out of curiosity)? I assume it will only be used by big companies as they are the ones that need and usually buy such things (of course, I am assuming).

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
shravi said:
How much will this 1 GBPS internet cost(not that I'm getting it- just out of curiosity)? I assume it will only be used by big companies as they are the ones that need and usually buy such things (of course, I am assuming).
read the 1st post

the govt wants 1GBps connection for home users, corpotates might get 10-15GBps ones :eek:

and by the way people, I had been calculating some things.take a look:
1Gbps = 100MB/s

fastest HD, the 10,000rpm Western digital has writing speed of 75MB/s.so the HD would act as a bottleneck.the only possible way would be to has RAID 0 setup, this would give about 120MB/s.:cool:

this means, theoritically, it would be better to store data online than on a single HDD!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread