Spin Bowling Impression and questions..

Jadel

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Likewise in the game I have noticed that only wrist spinners can spin in this game, from over the wicket wrist spinner will bowl offies and around the wicket leg-breaks. And finger spinners won't spin at all

I get at least a much turn from off spin bowlers.

So consider it corrected

That said, neither of the stock balls does much at all

Be nice if they changed that

Last edited:

Twitchy

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I've had a few days of playing since your video post and noticed a few things. Firstly is that even following your example and doing slower rotations and with a delay in starting, I still touch the green zone and as such get little benefit in terms of spin. Secondly, studying the video, it seems apparent that you in fact complete four rotations rather than three. I am wondering whether this is how you get much further into the green zone or is it that the bowler you were using is of a higher quality than a noob career player. I have noticed that I get more spin in the practice match than with my 16 year old career chap. Presumably that is because the practice guy has higher base stats?

Jadel

Club Captain
He only does 3 rotations.

The career guy has virtually no stats at the start.

What do you mean you get no benefit. If you mean not much turn then yeah you wont.. How many rpm are you getting? I think 600... So obviously not much turn

Even at 2000 plus you wont see much on stock deliveries but drift andflight will turn when you get skills up

tandy45

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I dunno if I've imagined this, however playing with a finger spinner and just taken a dodgy lbw wicket with an off-break ball, however I noticed that during the flight the ball flew well outside off stump before spinning back into the stumps marginally. Upon replaying the wicket I noticed the ball was shinier on the flighted side, with the other side rough as hell, I was wondering does the ball state affect a spinners flight in the same or similar fashion to a seam bowler? Common sense says it would because of the aero dynamics of one side being newer than the other.

zombieian

International Coach
Personally, I think your player should already have the requisite skills to spin the ball at the start of his start of his career, and become more accomplished as his career progresses. You are starting your career at a first class level and so your players should already have learnt the basic skills.
If your career was starting at school or club level then yes, he wouldn't have the nessesary skills to turn the ball much.

ellgieff

Club Captain
Personally, I think your player should already have the requisite skills to spin the ball at the start of his start of his career, and become more accomplished as his career progresses. You are starting your career at a first class level and so your players should already have learnt the basic skills.
If your career was starting at school or club level then yes, he wouldn't have the nessesary skills to turn the ball much.

I think the actual fix is to have club level play, below county/province.

That way most of the players you're against will also not be amazing, and there's the chance to have the county/province selectors drop you back to club if you don't perform.

In the current game you can start your career older to achieve a similar effect.

zombieian

International Coach
I think the actual fix is to have club level play, below county/province.

That way most of the players you're against will also not be amazing, and there's the chance to have the county/province selectors drop you back to club if you don't perform.

In the current game you can start your career older to achieve a similar effect.

That would be a very good idea.
As the game stands it should be that if you execute the three rotations with the LS correctly together with the input from the RS you should achieve good turn. Your player has made it into a 1st class side, he should be able to do that at least. As your player's career progresses, he learns more variations and can achieve more turn. These can be learnt from further net practice and experience.
Alternatively, make it harder to hit the green areas in the LS and RS zones to achieve more turn.

Last edited:

thumbsup767

School Cricketer
I get at least a much turn from off spin bowlers.

So consider it corrected

That said, neither of the stock balls does much at all

Be nice if they changed that

Agreed. The stock ball should consistently turn while the other deliveries should turn/drift more depending on the type of delivery.

I think what is affecting the spin of the ball the sheer amount of drift on the deliveries especially the stock off break. That thing curves in the air and then doesn't spin to compensate for the change in line.

I also find that the doosra is treated like a leg break (as in drifts a huge amount) whereas in real cricket, the doosra often doesn't drift in the air because it is bowled as a cross seamer.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
So...
haven't really used spin bowling properly before so decided to start a spin career. My bowler switched from being an off spinner to a leg spinner between spells! :eek:
First 5 overs I had to push the RS out a lot to the left or the ball was careering down leg side. Whatever delivery type I selected I got an off spinner coming in to the stumps. I was pushing the RS fully to the left and still bowling in on off rather than outside off.
Second spell I pushed the stick out slightly to the left and bowled a wide. Suddenly my bowler was turning every delivery towards the slips and I had to aim up/right with the RS or I would bowl a wide outside off. The hawkeyes (which I forgot to screenshot) show perfectly how all my deliveries suddenly started going the other way.
What am I missing here?

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
You could have been trying to bowl a normal offie or even a top spinner but erroneously angling the stick so it became a doosra instead. It's easily done, and I occasionally do similar with my leg spinner and end up doing wrong'uns too. That was my first thought on this anyway.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No, it's completely changed so now if I aim outside off I bowl a wide. Any delivery type.

my experience is that spin is sort of a broken system. i think it's quite rare for the "correct" input to come about.

out of interest, did you switch between over/around the wicket? i've noticed this certainly affects the delivery. did the action change or just the delivery?

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
D

Deleted member 9102

I think early on I remember experiencing something strange like what Colin explained there about having to flick way to the side on the right stick to not bowl a wide but as it was one of the first times I'd done spin bowling, so I put it down to me sucking at it, but I haven't had anything like it since... I created a new career as well as a batting allrounder leggie and have played a few matches so have bowled my fair share of spin. Odd.

Users who are viewing this thread