Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

6ry4nj

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
It is at the extremely trivial end of the spectrum of non-issues.

So he bowled a no-ball. Big deal! I'd like to see the evidence on which a cricket commission can find him guilty of anything more.

If he committed fraud, that's a matter for the courts. Nothing to do with cricketing conduct. IF he goes to jail, don't let him out to play cricket.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Mohammad Amir can easily get away with this if he's smart, by simply saying that the captain told him to bowl the bouncer / no ball.

So far, I haven't seen any evidence that says that Amir received money for the "fix" so if there is no trace of money to Amir, then really he can easily get out of this.

Salman is screwed for life though

Annoyingdevil

Club Cricketer
Mohammad Aamir is A fixer and shouldn't play Cricket ever again:mad, he was a good bowler and young and he did something stupid like this, oh well back to your village of Gujjar Khan and go work on your farm again.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
but 1 no ball had literally no effect on the result.

Stealing $1 is the same as $1000000 to me. Just as one of those no balls is the same as 4.

These no balls were made to order for the NOTW journalist. Maybe someone who Mazhar Majeed had already known for a while would have been given more information. These no balls were just used as signals to establish trust between Majeed and the undercover reporter. We don't know what else was going on or what else we could have learned about Asif, Amir, Butt and whoever else if he didn't break the story as early as he did. There is more to it than just no balls.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Stealing $1 is the same as $1000000 to me. Just as one of those no balls is the same as 4.

Frankly I don't believe you. Unless this is a rule that only applies to frontline players on opposing teams.

Lucky for everyone including you that most legal systems (being sane) don't agree.

These no balls were made to order for the NOTW journalist. Maybe someone who Mazhar Majeed had already known for a while would have been given more information. These no balls were just used as signals to establish trust between Majeed and the undercover reporter. We don't know what else was going on or what else we could have learned about Asif, Amir, Butt and whoever else if he didn't break the story as early as he did. There is more to it than just no balls.

:facepalm So now we are finding him guilty based on what we don't know. I'd like to see the prosecutor get up in court and say: "My Lord, we don't have much evidence against the accused, but we've an awful lot of ignorance, and we were hoping to use that to convict him".

This post deserves taking apart piece by piece - but then again that might be taking it too seriously.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Frankly I don't believe you. Unless this is a rule that only applies to frontline players on opposing teams.

Lucky for everyone including you that most legal systems (being sane) don't agree.

:facepalm So now we are finding him guilty based on what we don't know. I'd like to see the prosecutor get up in court and say: "My Lord, we don't have much evidence against the accused, but we've an awful lot of ignorance, and we were hoping to use that to convict him".

This post deserves taking apart piece by piece - but then again that might be taking it too seriously.

I was talking about it from a sporting perspective. Thought that would have been obvious to even the simplest of minds. Obviously not. Cheating is cheating and should be dealt with as such. They have brought the gentleman's game and their country to shame.

Uhh, no. The investigations have run far deeper than that Lord's test if you have actually been following this story. So it is very much based on what the authorities concerned do know. Haroon Lorgat even said that he would be very surprised if he found that they decided that they weren't guilty. The PAK-SL game in the Asia Cup and the Sydney test are being looked at very closely as well, amongst other games I'm sure. Don't just assume a sense of intellectual superiority when you have absolutely nothing to back it up :).

Themer

Chairman of Selectors

It is actually against the law to do what they did its just incredibly hard to prove anyone lost money on those no balls because all the betting was done in illegal markets.

6ry4nj

International Coach
I was talking about it from a sporting perspective. Thought that would have been obvious to even the simplest of minds. Obviously not. Cheating is cheating and should be dealt with as such. They have brought the gentleman's game and their country to shame.

It makes not the slightest bit of difference what perspective you're talking from. Only the simplest of minds would think otherwise.

There are different levels of cheating, with different penalties applying, in cricket as in other sane jurisdictions. Bowling a no-ball on purpose isn't cheating anyway. (The cricketing issue would be a charge of "bringing the game into disrepute" or something similar)

Uhh, no. The investigations have run far deeper than that Lord's test if you have actually been following this story. So it is very much based on what the authorities concerned do know. Haroon Lorgat even said that he would be very surprised if he found that they decided that they weren't guilty. The PAK-SL game in the Asia Cup and the Sydney test are being looked at very closely as well, amongst other games I'm sure. Don't just assume a sense of intellectual superiority when you have absolutely nothing to back it up :).

I was replying to your post, in which you said:

Implying that no-balls being bowled to order could be somehow taken as proof that the players were involved in some huge conspiracy. This is ridiculous and I told you so. Not surprisingly I didn't address things you didn't say in that post. Saying them now doesn't make that post any more sensible than it is.

Lastly, I in no way assume intellectual superiority over you or anyone. I merely made sense while replying to a post that didn't make any.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Match fixing is match fixing. I don't care if it is a noball or everyone in the team getting out for 0. These cheats don't deserve to play this sport.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Only four more days till the drama begins.

I say Aamir will be let go innocent, Asif another 2 year ban, and Butt life ban.

Users who are viewing this thread