Sri Lanka tour of England - Limited Overs Cricket (May - June)

lion100lion

International Coach
The argument isn't that it was allowed in the laws, it was just so disgracefully against the spirit of the game. I liked how the Edgbaston crowd booed Sennanayeke mercilessly afterwards.
May be the crowd doesn't know the change in the law. Even we came to know it from the TV commentators.

----------

Last edited by a moderator:

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
What a delivery from Tredwell and a great catch from Jordan, Game on!

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Why have the rule if it's not in the spirit of game. If you care so much about spirit of the game, get rid of the rule. I have no sympathy for Senanayake but he was absolutely correct in doing what he did.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
George Dobell: Sachithra Senanayake catches Jos Buttler dozing | Cricket News | England v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

BpN__pqIgAADOdC.png

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Big wicket that of Jayawardene. Just hope the rain stays away as this has been a great contest to watch, for some reason I always prefer the low scoring matches.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Well that attitude from Cook while shaking hands off wasnt right. You expect to play in spirit of cricket but what happens to spirit of cricket when your team mates have edged it clearly and do not walk off? That time spirit of cricket goes to shit? I still remember the Bell incident in India's last tour of 4-0 whitewash where Dhoni played in spirit of cricket and decided him to call him back. England cant expect other teams to play in spirit of cricket when they give bollocks of spirit of cricket.

Good win here for Sri Lanka and in the end a better side won. It was a tough contest but England dont have the liberty of 5th bowler now and that is where it hurt them.

I know this isnt India vs England thread but I really hope India can put up a nice fight against England like Sri Lanka did. Indian bowling will really have to step up

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Hmmm...

we'll have 'em in the One Dayers ;)

...Perhaps not.

Full credit to Sri Lanka, they deserved to win. Much will be spoken of the Buttler run out and how it may have changed the result of the match but Sri Lanka truly deserve the victory, that partnership between Mahela & Thirimanne was a joy to watch and then Mathews coming in towards the end to see his team through.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
The bowling stats are incredible for England for the series. 4 guys doing really well and then a big void of nothing for the 5th bowler. We have plenty of all rounders in County Cricket, we need to get at least one of them in. Root and Bopara are not good enough to bowl 10 overs every game and in games like this, they offer no real wicket taking threat.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
No. Not for me. The spirit of cricket is what marks this sport out above the others and applies whether it is the village green or the decider of an ODI series.

I know it was technically legal, but it was still a pretty rubbish thing for him to do.

The point is, SPIRITUALLY, how is trying to gain an advantage by leaving the crease before the bowler has bowled spiritually correct? This is just typical British conservatism - oh this is the way it has been done forever, so we should blindly follow it without any discussion of what makes something spiritually correct or wrong.

It was legally correct, it was spiritually correct.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Says Cook:
"I thought it was disappointing," Cook said. "There's a line and that line was crossed here. I've never seen it before in the game and I was pretty disappointed by it. As captain of your country, there are certain ways you want your team to operate. And obviously he is fine with it. He has said he will do it again.

I love all this sense of 'ignorant' superiority some players have. And it looks even worse when you say such things after you lose a home series. Sounds like sour grapes more than anything

And its not just Cook. As @karolkarol posted - Jaya acted like he was holier than thou when it happened against his team, even though the appeal was withdrawn. And now he is suddenly okay with it.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
The Tendulkar run out by Shoib Akthar could be said against the spirit of the game because it was pure cheating.But why Mankading?Why should batsmen enjoy all the previleges of the law? Certainly trying to steal a run by moving out of the crease before the ball balled is more against the spirits than mankading . Really feels sorry for all the players booved for this :(:(:(

SWITCHHIT

Club Cricketer
The Tendulkar run out by Shoib Akthar could be said against the spirit of the game because it was pure cheating.But why Mankading?Why should batsmen enjoy all the previleges of the law? Certainly trying to steal a run by moving out of the crease before the ball balled is more against the spirits than mankading . Really feels sorry for all the players booved for this :(:(:(
any video,i cant remember which run out you are talking about

----------

So here is what cook says:
Jos Buttler run out will spice up Test series, says Alastair Cook | The Indian Express

SWITCHHIT

Club Cricketer
I found a common thing about England's and Australia's media that both of them are very rude and always sound arrogant.
run-out0_2930017b.jpg

and then they say buttler was doing nothing wrong.
Covered by Law 42.15 as well as ICC?s playing conditions, it was a legitimate dismissal providing the bowler had not begun his delivery stride or the swing of his bowling action, which Senanayake appeared not to have done. Yet as most cricketers know from village green to Test arena, taking wickets by such means are against the spirit of the game, though even that had entered a grey area given the off-spinner had already warned Buttler previously about leaving his crease before the ball had been bowled

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread