Sri Lanka tour of New Zealand

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
angryangy said:
You said every second ball was loose, was there maybe a little moisture problem? It's unusual that ever a crap bowler can't bowl two ball in the same area.

None at all.

Anyone who watched the match will probably agree with me. If the highlights end up on youtube it may be worth watching, quite the run feast.

But I mean, the overs were like,

1: Short and Wide
2: Half Volley
3: Good ball, only one of the over.
4: Wide/NoBall
5: Bad line
6: Short on the leg side
7: Half Volley.

it was seriously that bad. In the first 15 overs, I would be surprised if there were 10 balls on a good line and length. We bowled far too short and leg side to Jaysuria. Vettori couldn't set fields after the powerplay for it. They still were getting fours and sixes.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
If Ryan Taylor didn't bat so selfishly then New Zealand could have had well over 300.

It was a brilliant innings but as soon as he got into the nineties he defended nearly everything and really killed NZ's momentum.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
So what, it's a team game and he cost New Zealand about 40 more runs. They were going at 2 an over for about 7 overs which he was batting in the nineties. Really lost New Zealand's momentum.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
evertonfan said:
If Ryan Taylor didn't bat so selfishly then New Zealand could have had well over 300.

It was a brilliant innings but as soon as he got into the nineties he defended nearly everything and really killed NZ's momentum.
I'm going to assume you mean Ross Taylor.

You're sooooo right though, because he reached 90, he should have swung his bat at EVERYTHING, perhaps try and get to 100 with 2 sixes or something? Hey, who cares if he gets bowled, at least he won't be accused of batting selfishley though.

Newsflash, it's not as easy as it looks. Him making sure he stayed in meant that the rest of the team could bat around him, even though he was scoring boundaries as well. If he'd gotten out in the 90's they could have folded for 220 or so, so it's makes sense that he stays in.

Sureshot

Executive member
Sri Lankas openers showing that it wasn't just how badly we bowled.

Fantastic stuff from Upul and Sanath.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
MUFC1987 said:
I'm going to assume you mean Ross Taylor.

You're sooooo right though, because he reached 90, he should have swung his bat at EVERYTHING, perhaps try and get to 100 with 2 sixes or something? Hey, who cares if he gets bowled, at least he won't be accused of batting selfishley though.

Newsflash, it's not as easy as it looks. Him making sure he stayed in meant that the rest of the team could bat around him, even though he was scoring boundaries as well. If he'd gotten out in the 90's they could have folded for 220 or so, so it's makes sense that he stays in.

Yes I meant Ross; I was mixing him up with the Wigan right back there.

And on the point you mentioned, I wasn't suggesting that he swung at everything, I was merely saying that he should have carried on playing how he was which was free scoring. As soon as that 90 mark came up he went into his shell and was blocking balls that he would previously have hit for boundaries.

irottev

School Cricketer
He lost 3 wickets around him. The last thing the team needed was for him to go for a six and get caught and miss his hundred. I don't know any players who don't get a bit nervous around the ninties. I am sure he was still looking for boundaries. He has up against some good bowling by Vaas. Don't blame him.

He wasn't blocking, he was looking to score runs.

It didn't matter in the end. The bowlers didn't turn up to the park.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Taylor did what most batsmen do in the 90s hence it a real pain to be in the 90s during happy hour as a lot of players take their time to get those extra 10 runs.

charith

Club Captain
I dont think you can blame NZ too much to be honest. I know that their bowling was shoddy and not on line but they were up against jayasuriya at his best. Its all good to have plans and set fields but u gt to knw dat the bowlers are under immense pressure from ball one. Just the mental strain of bowling to someone like sanath whose pasted world class bowlers all over the world.

If it was someone like bond or vaas they would bounce back after being hit for four since their more experianced and has the extra pace(BOnd) and the guile (vaas) to trble the batsman.

irottev

School Cricketer
I almost forgot about this game this morning, just caught the start of it in time.

Sri Lanka didn't bat very well and have only made 224/7

Mainly due to a weak bottom order. The bowling today was much better. Very good stuff. Unfortonatly for Sri Lanka that was our weakness, our B attack and they should of cashed in more. Vettori was superb, great wicket too totally fooled Atapattu with the Arm Ball.

Our batsmen should polish these off but I guess SL have a decent attack to cause some trouble. If we can get off to a flier with McCullum then it will make it easier. McMillan is back and I hope he bats well. A little sad I didn't get to see him bowl but we didn't need him. I wonder who will open the innings. Taylor should be kept at 3 in my opinion.

And my favorite moment was seeing Sangakara run out in that way, the same was Astle was on a very simular score.

irottev

School Cricketer
Whan an unbelievable one day internation that was. If you missed it then bad luck.

We needed 1 run off the final over. Mason on strike to Jaysuria and Mason waits til the last ball to smash a four down the ground.

Unbelievable stuff.

Justice was served. We deserved to win with our bowling performance, Sri Lanka's poor batting and the rough umpiring decisions we got.

Great game of cricket though. A bonus win really. Only three of those players have guarenteed spots in a side so some of these players have done their hopes very well. Gillespie looked much better today and played a priceless innings with the bat.

Franklin's batting got us out of trouble though. He is turning into such a great all-rounder for us. Brilliant innings.

I was pretty dissapointed in Taylor being run out by James Marshall and James also running himself out. They were very unnecessary and had we lost, we would have been singling them out as reasons why. We are lucky to win after the mistakes we made with the bat.

1-1 and our team will be stronger for the next 3.

What a way to end 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread