Your Cricket Starting to play cricket ?

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Hiya guys
I am REALLY considering starting playing cricket but i'm not really sure where to start, i'm 17 this month and have really developed a love for the game over the past 7-8 months and love everything cricket. I really want to start playing cricket but i am stuck on where to start. I was just wondering if anyone knows any good cricket clubs in suffolk which are open to beginners. I'm about 5ft 8ish but pretty scrawney (9stone) and am abit worried i dont have the figure and build to play cricket but really want to give it ago. Only time i've played cricket is on holiday last year when me and my dad where playing cricket on the beach, him bowling at me (spin and some medium pace), i seemed to be able to hit the ball further than my dad, but it was only a tennis ball with a crappy ?8 bat from jjbsports. Any help would be welcome.
cheers guys

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
you can go into your town and see if you can see tourist places or the council or ask your mates, but thats all i know because i live in lincolnshire

manee

Chairman of Selectors
King Pietersen said:
Hiya guys
I am REALLY considering starting playing cricket but i'm not really sure where to start, i'm 17 this month and have really developed a love for the game over the past 7-8 months and love everything cricket. I really want to start playing cricket but i am stuck on where to start. I was just wondering if anyone knows any good cricket clubs in suffolk which are open to beginners. I'm about 5ft 8ish but pretty scrawney (9stone) and am abit worried i dont have the figure and build to play cricket but really want to give it ago. Only time i've played cricket is on holiday last year when me and my dad where playing cricket on the beach, him bowling at me (spin and some medium pace), i seemed to be able to hit the ball further than my dad, but it was only a tennis ball with a crappy ?8 bat from jjbsports. Any help would be welcome.
cheers guys

Rubbish, I open the bowling yet I am in terrible shape, 5ft 7, have no co-ordination whatsoever and cannot run at any great pace. Cricket is all about believing in yourself (unlike a certain Mr Hamison). Just smack the ball as hard as you can if it is not on the stumps and block it if it isn't. There is no right figure for a batsman it is all about attributes like strength which you seem to have.

Sorry I cannot help you with clubs in suffolk.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
I dont know about clubs in your area.

But about your figure and stuff dont worry about it just play im sure theres plenty of clubs round your area, also 17 I guess its not to late to enjoy it but as long as your not a complete mug and know how to bowl a ball and swing a bat its ok ;)

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Dont worry about the clubs thingy, found a site called play-cricket and it has a long list of clubs in my area, they dont start play until april though, will just wait until then, suppose i could get a bat and practise with my dad in the little area next to our house until then, draw some stumps on the wall or something.

CricketFan999

Club Cricketer
Try and get in touch with the clubs regardless, they may do winter nets which would be as good a time as any to get into the sport. I just started very recently myself (only been to two sessions). Just go out and do it and you'll find your feet.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Try Play Cricket, it's a list of all the clubs in Suffolk. (Oops see you've already found it!)

Contact the couple that are closet to you and go along. I'm sure that they will have 2nd and 3rd XI's that you can try out for as well as providing a bit of coaching (most clubs will have an ECB qualified coach (even if they are are only the lowest level they will still be able to pass on the basics)).

Remember that the most important thing is to have fun!

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
manee said:
Rubbish, I open the bowling yet I am in terrible shape, 5ft 7, have no co-ordination whatsoever and cannot run at any great pace. Cricket is all about believing in yourself (unlike a certain Mr Hamison). Just smack the ball as hard as you can if it is not on the stumps and block it if it isn't. There is no right figure for a batsman it is all about attributes like strength which you seem to have.
You could play for India! The fielding and fitness will greatly improve with you in the team :p

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I sent an e-mail to Stradbroke CC to ask about winter net sessions, hopefully i can make a net session soon to introduce myself and stuff like that and have a go in the nets. Hopefully they have some sessions planned soon.

rickyp

International Coach
getting started isnt hard, just rock up to one of their training sessions. If your a little self conscious about it though, just give the manager a call first.

good luck with it all :)

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Best advice i can give you is drag a mate down, it makes the whole first training session akwardness go away, you feel more comfortable there with someone to talk to.

I recently started playing American football in the summer, and the first training session is the worst, but i took a mate down, who had no interest in the sport, and it turned out he also liked it and he is still training.

Dont worry about build either, at one point 2 seasons ago i was quite big :p but i still played, batted and bowled. I captain a lad, i wont give names, but he is about 6"2 and doesnt know what fat or muscle is, he has none on his body. We found that that he is fair quick so we stuck him in the slips, and we also tryed him at 8, because he could bowl a useful bit of medium-fast and also he could rack up a few, and thats all because he believed in himself, thats what you should do to.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Been e-mailing the closest club to me and i am going along to training on sunday, cant wait, luckily the training is at my sixth form which is cool. Cheers for the help guys.

Madsalty

Club Cricketer
good luck, i've been playing for just about 2 years now and it is amazing how fast you will progress. I have always had good and eye co-ordination and in the league i started in if you could hit the ball you got runs, but with regular net sessions you lose the natural fear of the ball and the strokes start to develop.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
The only advice I'd give you at the moment is don't be put off if it seems difficult at first, just because the pros on Tv make it look easy it isn't. Just try and enjoy yourself and practice hard and you'll only get better :)

D

Deleted member 11215

i started last season and i was very nervous but found myself in the team all season, dont worry if you arent getting things right, ask the coach it is key i didnt for a couple of nets and was crap but then i ask and my batting is much better also hes improved my bowling, good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread