Your Cricket Starting to play cricket ?

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Jaztheman said:
hi i struggle getting my pitching right, full toss every ball, i am a RMF for my age, any help?

i am a batter though :p
I would say that first up you just need to practice more, the more you bowl the easier it is to control the ball.

However, I'd suggest that you mark a square on the pitch roughly on a good length and then concentrate on hitting it. Don't worry too much about pace or line at the moment, just focus on hitting the square. You can place some chalk dust on there so it marks the ball if you wish keep a record.

Get someone to watch you bowl side on and give you feedback on when you release the ball, you should start to 'feel' when the right time to let go of the ball is. You can experiment with holding the ball different ways but to start with go for the classic seam bowler grip.

Once you're happy with this start to work on the line and then on bringing the two together.

As above I'd also advise you to get someone to check your action as you bowl to make sure everything lines up - this will not only help with pace but will make it easier to keep a constant line as well as reducing strain on your body.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
OMFGZ TEH BUMPAGE !!!!

Thanks to you guys i have found something i really really enjoy. Played the full season, for the B Team and Academy and really really enjoyed it. After a dissapointing start with the bat i got better, and developed a very very solid defence, batted out a few draws in academy games for the team. I also chipped in with a lovely 28* in the 3rd from last game of the season, was a really fun innings. Got 2 ducks the week after that, and then scored 1 the week after that, followed by a duck in the last game of the season, but meh. My stats at the end of the season were as follows:

Batting:

Innings- 23
Runs- 64
Not Outs- 5
Average- 3.56
Ducks- 10 :p
High Score: 28*

Bowling:

Overs: 78
Maidens: 4
Wickets: 11
Runs: 397
Best: 3/35
Econ: 5.09
Average: 36.09

Fielding:

Catches: 6
Run Outs: 0
Stumpings: 0

Overall, a pretty successful first season in club cricket. I would have liked to have taken a few more wickets, and would have if it wasnt for the amount of spilled chances that came off my bowling throughout the season. My accuracy really improved throughout the season, and since the end of the season i've been working on my bowling and my pace has improved drastically. Winter nets start next month, and i'm really looking forward to them. I've come a pretty long way in the past year, my cricketing skills have improved, and as has my confidence, which in turn has allowed me to bag an extremely attractive young lady, and its all thanks you you lot for pursuading me to start playing. Thanks abunch guys :D

Also, i got an award at the club presentation evening, Most Improved Player. Nice trophy aswell :D

P.S. Sorry for the bump :p

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Seems like you had quite a good first season. 10 ducks, that must be a record. Looks like you weren't a bad fielder either, which is a tough thing to come buy in your first season of cricket. Not only did we help with your pull shot we helped you pull girls :p *ba-dum-no*

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Yeh, not been a bad year :D

The fielding went pretty well, my catching is pretty decent, made a few decent catches, one really nice diving one in the middle of the season.

The ducks were mainly at the start, got 5 in my first 6 innings, so i only got 5 in my next 17 innings, which for a first season isnt too bad, and 3 of them were in the last 2 weeks of the season, where i got a few jaffers early on, meh, i'll do better next season.

Want at least 20 wickets next season aswell, pretty confident i can do that easily, my main problem last season was inaccuracy and lack of pace at the start of the season. My pace has slowly been increasing, and i honestly reckon i can bowl 70mph+ once i get my run up sorted, i've made a few alterations to my action in the past 2 months, has helped accuracy, and pace is massively increased. Off a full run up and with confidence i can probably bowl close to 80 i reckon, if i practise enough anyway. I bowl a pretty mean yorker aswel, which troubled batsmen last season, when i was bowling 55-60mph. I'm really looking forward to next season, hoping that it goes well.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Well done on your first season. And thanks for letting us know, its not thread bumping when you are following up on a thread with a result that people want to read.

Sureshot

Executive member
Well done Dan, I would sing a song for you but I might give it a miss...

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
hey guys im in aus, and theres a break for christmas holidays and new year. Just asking. this season with my bowling i am, bowling the bowl on off stump straight ,medium pace, most of the time but are yet to get a wicket, the batsmen seems to block and block and block, non going through lol, no edges or anything. at least im stopping runs. any advice im thinking on practising an extra fast in swinger. also with my batting , 1 duck 13 runs from 6 innings very slow. but im getting there. i am very straight with my bat but are popping up catches to mid off trying to play through covers, also the hook shot i have trouble with. when the bat pad is in place i always get a top edge trying to pull or hook and he gets a gift of a catch . at the moment the only shots i can play is bacyward and forward defence, cross bat pull( bit dodgy) , a good leg glance and a less than flatering drive. any help thanks

Last edited:

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
hey guys im in aus, and theres a break for christmas holidays and new year. Just asking. this season with my bowling i am, bowling the bowl on off stump straight ,medium pace, most of the time but are yet to get a wicket, the batsmen seems to block and block and block, non going through lol, no edges or anything. at least im stopping runs. any advice im thinking on practising an extra fast in swinger. also with my batting , 1 duck 13 runs from 6 innings very slow. but im getting there. i am very straight with my bat but are popping up catches to mid off trying to play through covers, also the hook shot i have trouble with. when the bat pad is in place i always get a top edge trying to pull or hook and he gets a gift of a catch . at the moment the only shots i can play is bacyward and forward defence, cross bat pull( bit dodgy) , a good leg glance and a less than flatering drive. any help thanks

Since Im fast bowler my advcie for bowling is develop reverse swing. Your team must be looking after bowl as its done in every form of cricket nowdays.

For help you need to keep 1 side shiny and other side will take natural deterioration. Make sure that the bowl does not come in contact with water. Keep it as light as possible.

For inswinging reverse swing yorker keep the shiny side towards right and aim to hot the top of off stump with the bowl. Practice the delivery with diffrent seam position as it depends upon the type of action you have. Best result is achieved if you are side on bowler.

_40702888_reverse_swing3_203.gif

As side note: You can use jelly beans and hair gel to achieve the shine. Don't tell anyone about your secret though.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
That's a tad ambitios scion_sid, certainly without asking a few questions first. ;)

What sort level are you playing? What age group? How much have you played? How many overs do you play?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
That's a tad ambitios scion_sid, certainly without asking a few questions first. ;)

What sort level are you playing? What age group? How much have you played? How many overs do you play?

Well I guess anyone can use this advice if hes too young for it.

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
me nah the bowling is only used for a 30/30 match 60 overs, so it doeson't really detirorate and im playing in the 11's and 12's leage, so im young. but with swinging today in the backyard i used a tennis ball half wrapped in gaffa tape. I swung a bit in and out, but im having truoble with my angle, the bowl doesen't swing at all when i bowl is angle towards off. So any advice should a just bowl medium pace in and out swingers. Well sure enough the bowl does swing heaps in this league but i reckon over the holidays is the perfect oppurtunity to practice swinging the bowl and practicing with my new bat this crissi. also maybe i should practice a slower bowl coz all the other guys in the team who are new to bowling bowl loopy slow ones, usually the batsmen goes for them and gets caught. maybe even a bowling plan for my overs eg. fast, fast, slow, medium, swing ,medium,. aslo this is my first year of cricket however i've played for a year or two in my backyard but i have improved so much. any thoughts? thx

Last edited:

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
me nah the bowling is only used for a 30/30 match 60 overs, so it doeson't really detirorate and im playing in the 11's and 12's leage, so im young. but with swinging today in the backyard i used a tennis ball half wrapped in gaffa tape. I swung a bit in and out, but im having truoble with my angle, the bowl doesen't swing at all when i bowl is angle towards off. So any advice should a just bowl medium pace in and out swingers. Well sure enough the bowl does swing heaps in this league but i reckon over the holidays is the perfect oppurtunity to practice swinging the bowl and practicing with my new bat this crissi. also maybe i should practice a slower bowl coz all the other guys in the team who are new to bowling bowl loopy slow ones, usually the batsmen goes for them and gets caught. maybe even a bowling plan for my overs eg. fast, fast, slow, medium, swing ,medium,. aslo this is my first year of cricket however i've played for a year or two in my backyard but i have improved so much. any thoughts? thx

Hey mate. I am 13 (play 14's) and I bowl like you. If your accurate, mix it up a bit. Bowl some yorkers then maybe a good length ball etc.. The important thing is outswing to get a nick. When you walk out on the field say to your team mates "Lets shine the kookaburra side" or something. Then make sure you shine it a lot. Keep your fingers on the seam and cock your wrist. If you can keep the seam straight you will get swing and seam. Dont be afraid to tempt a batter. Maybe bowl a good length ball but outside offstump and maybe leave a gap in cover and have 1-2 slips. If you are getting outswing and the batsmen isn't to good you should get an edge. If you can get the outswing aim for about middle-leg a few times so it swings back and you might just take out offstump ;) Man, I love seeing those stumps being knocked out :D. So yeah, try and keep that yorker and good length balls in there and once you get swing or seam mix up the line.

With batting. Try and get a good bat. I know some can be dear but look around, try and make it an English willow. For the first parts of your innings you can just practise blocking it onto the ground. When your played in more you can maybe turn your wrists in the block shot to turn it to square leg or put a bit more power in those blocks to get a nice straight drive. Get your foot to the ball, head over the ball for the cover drives. Just practise :)

Good luck. We have a whole summer to practise, dont we ;)

Users who are viewing this thread