Your Cricket Starting to play cricket ?

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
yeah thanks for those tips? after i'll go to the nets after i get back from a short holiday over christmas. o yeah nearly forgot im getting a pretty good bat for christmas heres a link to it i live in perth so i got it from meulemans its english willow great grain as well here it is http://www.meulemans.com.au/d25/viper-1000 feels great in my hands but havent seen it for a couple of monthis since we got it. the bat i was using was kashi willow it was a slazenger v389 nforcer series lasted a year before the linen peeled and the toe guard fell of this year, aslo been through 3 grips lol. thx for the tips really good cant wait.

Last edited:

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
If you are using Tennis bowl then best way to bowl are these

Skidding In Swingers:
Rather than having two fingers up and thumb down approach, keep thumb on left side of bowl, the next finger in middle and rest of three finger in right side. Follow my tip to bowl yorker as told earlier and if you want to bowl skidding in swinger aim for base of off stump.

Slow Bowls:
1) This will take lot of practice. This is what Adam Hollioake used to bowl. Place two finger on left and two on right side of bowl. It will bamboozle even best of batsmen. But takes lot of practice to achieve.
2) At the release of deliver just rotate wrist to right slightly so that your fingers point to your face.

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
I'm gonna hopefully play abit of cricket around new year and get back into cricket as I haven't played for donkeys. We still have to play our school county final though. :)

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Good luck. We have a whole summer to practise, dont we ;)

That is what I hate about the summer. The prime position to play cricket and no cricket is on because of holidays and people go away. That sucks :(

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
thanks for the tips i'll practice today. i've also realized that i struggle to play spin when i bat. my best friend is a leggy and he bowls the bowl right up so i go on the front foot and then when i try to drive i get a clean edge. what should i do if i face spin? should a try and advance down the pitch or stay on the backfoot and cut?

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Play with the Spin. Watch the ball, if you come down the wicket remember you dont always have to smack it out the park you can defend it

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
If it's a leggie and its pitched on middle stump, dont straight drive it, Unless you get right to the pitch of the ball. Otherwise just more ondrive it. Just know which way the ball is spinning and if you cant get to the pitch of the ball adjust your stroke to allow for the spin.

What grade you in? Im C's so the spinners are slower which gives me time to think about the stroke.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
No advice can be given for batting in here. My suggestion is watch the wrist of bowler and get hold of someone who plays spin well.
For Indians spinners are easy meat so we have fun hitting them all over park. :)

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
If it's a leggie and its pitched on middle stump, dont straight drive it, Unless you get right to the pitch of the ball. Otherwise just more ondrive it. Just know which way the ball is spinning and if you cant get to the pitch of the ball adjust your stroke to allow for the spin.

What grade you in? Im C's so the spinners are slower which gives me time to think about the stroke.

dunno, all i know is i play in 11's and 12's me being 11, so it just sorta depends on what some of the oposition players wanna bowl some players are really good some are loopy and slow, most of the opposition players are medium to medium fast bowlers, but the more i have played through the season the more leg spinners there ar coz of warney, but remember this is all 11s and 12s. fun tho!:p

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
dunno, all i know is i play in 11's and 12's me being 11, so it just sorta depends on what some of the oposition players wanna bowl some players are really good some are loopy and slow, most of the opposition players are medium to medium fast bowlers, but the more i have played through the season the more leg spinners there ar coz of warney, but remember this is all 11s and 12s. fun tho!:p

Yeah well, remember the key to to playing spin is getting well forward to the ball.

Anyway, now we are at the break in cricket might as well tell you all my stats;)

Games- 7

Batting-
Innings- 10
Not Outs- 1
Runs- 91
Average- 11.4
High score- 26

Bowling-
Overs- 32
Maidens- 9
Wickets- 10
Runs- 57
Average- 5.70
Best figures- 8 Overs, 5 Maidens, 6 Runs, 5 Wickets :D
That was my first ever 5 wicket haul and to make it better I only went for 6 runs!!

3 Catches including a sharp one at slip.

I've really improved from my last 2 years.
In my first year I scored probably abouy 50-60 runs at probably an average of 5 or something and took 12 wickets. Last year I took 7 wickets and probably only about 30-40 runs.

Im really happy that I have gotten my average over 11 :D. Im dissapointed the break is now. I've found touch. 50 runs in my past 2 innings and 5 wickets.

Last edited:

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Yeah well, remember the key to to playing spin is getting well forward to the ball.

Anyway, now we are at the break in cricket might as well tell you all my stats;)

Games- 7

Batting-
Innings- 10
Not Outs- 1
Runs- 91
Average- 11.4
High score- 26

Bowling-
Overs- 32
Maidens- 9
Wickets- 10
Runs- 57
Average- 5.70
Best figures- 8 Overs, 5 Maidens, 6 Runs, 5 Wickets :D
That was my first ever 5 wicket haul and to make it better I only went for 6 runs!!

3 Catches including a sharp one at slip.

I've really improved from my last 2 years.
In my first year I scored probably abouy 50-60 runs at probably an average of 5 or something and took 12 wickets. Last year I took 7 wickets and probably only about 30-40 runs.

Im really happy that I have gotten my average over 11 :D. Im dissapointed the break is now. I've found touch. 50 runs in my past 2 innings and 5 wickets.

WOW thats pretty good bowling and batting. here is my stats (really poor):(:(
but hoping:upray:upray to get a few more runs wicket and catches this is my first season.

batting
runs 13
games 7
innings 7
notouts 4
average 2.6(i think according to my knowledge on how to work out batting averages.)
high score 5*

bowling
wickets 0 (so sad)
runs conceded: no idea but not much at all probally 15 or 20
economy ?

fielding
dives 4
stops 3
catches 0
drops 1
run outs 0

overall pretty poor but im enjoying it gonna practice like crazy after new year and christmas. cant go to nets tommorow coz im going down south from perth to margaret river ( yey great big waves i love surfing) for christmas.

but keep in mind in my level unfortuantley we only get to face 18 bowls so i dont get a chance to score many runs thats why i have been not out or retired 4 times, my problem is i play myself in for a bit to long.

Last edited:

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Thats good for your first season. Just keep practising. Maybe buy one of those ball on a strings and put it on a tree or clothsline and hit it for hours on end. Thats what I do. I had 41 runs from 8 innings then I started with the ball on a string and got those 50 runs. It just makes me feel played in before I even get to the field on saturday. I can practise hitting harder or a specific shot or pretend trees are fielders and try and hit the gap. With bowling, try and put a coin down and try and hit it, even if you bowl slow. Or maybe draw a circle in the dirt or something and try and hit it. Make the circle at a good length spot just outside offstump. Once you hit it bowling slow practise increasing your pace :)

Good luck!

Btw your batting average is 4.25 :) (Im pretty sure). (Runs divided by outs.)
Thats stupid your only allowed to bat 18 bowls each. We play 60 over innings and if you open you could play the whole 60 (But ya have to retire at 50)

Last edited:

Highlander999

ICC President
Well I suppose I better give my stats. I play for my local mens 1XI :D

This Season

Games- 15

Batting
Innings- 15 :D( I open)
Not Outs- 3
Runs- 625
Average- 41.7
High score- 104* :D

Bowling
Overs- 0
Maidens- 0
Wickets- 0
Runs- 0
Average- 0
Best figures- 0

I am a keeper :p

8 stumpings and a lot of catches :D

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Thats good for your first season. Just keep practising. Maybe buy one of those ball on a strings and put it on a tree or clothsline and hit it for hours on end. Thats what I do. I had 41 runs from 8 innings then I started with the ball on a string and got those 50 runs. It just makes me feel played in before I even get to the field on saturday. I can practise hitting harder or a specific shot or pretend trees are fielders and try and hit the gap. With bowling, try and put a coin down and try and hit it, even if you bowl slow. Or maybe draw a circle in the dirt or something and try and hit it. Make the circle at a good length spot just outside offstump. Once you hit it bowling slow practise increasing your pace :)

Good luck!

Btw your batting average is 4.25 :) (Im pretty sure). (Runs divided by outs.)
Thats stupid your only allowed to bat 18 bowls each. We play 60 over innings and if you open you could play the whole 60 (But ya have to retire at 50)

yeh i have the cricket wiz a hard ball on a string, i use it every day, and lol i thought we could just keep batting till we get out but only a darn 18 balls, but next year if i get better i may consider going on the saturday team as i play sunday morning, coz you have ages to bat and bowl. but i guess keep going and practice makes perfect, thats how i got good at aussie rules i guess it can work with my cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread