Steve Davis: Legend and the Best of all time + other snooker chat!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
When Davis vs Higgins was drawn for the last 16 of the World Championships, I was certain Higgins would murder him as he did last year, but Steve's only gone and dumped him out! What an absolute legend - I have followed him since I was a child and I don't give a damn what anyone says: he's the best of all time. Better than O' Sullivan (whose variable attitude for the game will work against him) and better than Stephen Hendry (I can't see him still playing at over fifty years old). As well as that, he's such a gentleman of the game - he appears so humble in interviews, despite all he has achieved.

As Higgins himself said, for Davis to be able to hold it together like that at 52 is some achievement. Hats off to the Nugget! :D

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Has been brilliant to see him do so well; been a great championship aswell thus far the Robertson come back was quite special and the current game between Williams and O'Sullivan is all set up to be a quite epic clash now.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
When Davis vs Higgins was drawn for the last 16 of the World Championships, I was certain Higgins would murder him as he did last year, but Steve's only gone and dumped him out! What an absolute legend - I have followed him since I was a child and I don't give a damn what anyone says: he's the best of all time. Better than O' Sullivan (whose variable attitude for the game will work against him) and better than Stephen Hendry (I can't see him still playing at over fifty years old). As well as that, he's such a gentleman of the game - he appears so humble in interviews, despite all he has achieved.

As Higgins himself said, for Davis to be able to hold it together like that at 52 is some achievement. Hats off to the Nugget! :D

What sport are you talking about?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
How could anyone not know who and what Steve Davis is? My mum knows who he is and she doesn't follow any sport whatsoever!

P

pcfan123

I have no idea who he is , 8-Ball (pool) is a lot more popular in the States.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I have no idea who he is , 8-Ball (pool) is a lot more popular in the States.

Earl 'The Pearl' Strickland! Love watching a bit of 8-Ball pool when it's on sky. Especially the Mosconi cup.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Snooker requires a lot more skill than pool, especially when you take into account the tightness of the pockets and the size of the table - Steve Davis is a pretty mean pool player as well!

Worldwide, what's better known would you say - snooker or pool?

Davis has a lot of class as well, whether winning or losing, which is more than can be said for Ronnie O' Sullivan. Did you guys see him kick off at the referee, over a touching ball, of all things??

Last edited by a moderator:

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Snooker requires a lot more skill than pool, especially when you take into account the tightness of the pockets and the size of the table - Steve Davis is a pretty mean pool player as well!

Worldwide, what's better known would you say - snooker or pool?

I have absolutely no doubt that snooker requires much more skill, but if you look at it, even the best snooker players don't make the best pool players, but, I'm sure if they practised pool more they would probably be world beaters.

Calling the worldwide dominance of pool or snooker is a tough one. I wouldn't wanna say, guess it depends where you are.

P

pcfan123

Can't really compare the two and I like to leave it at that. Wish I knew the rules of snooker but I mostly play 8-ball or cutthroat.

Have not played in a long time though, used to in college. Can't be bothered wasting money on it tbh

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Davis is a pretty good pool player; If I recall correctly he was one of the founders of the Mosconi Cup. Or was atleast very instrumental to its creation.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Davis is a pretty good pool player; If I recall correctly he was one of the founders of the Mosconi Cup. Or was atleast very instrumental to its creation.

All the snooker players I've seen play pool have been amazing. It stands to reason, doesn't it? The table is smaller, balls are much easier to pot (I've often seen balls being potted along the cushions: try that in snooker and they often don't go in). As well as that, the snooker player is better at playing safe and positional play as well.

I didn't know Davis had a hand in the creation of the Mosconi Cup - something else that he's given to the world of cuesports. :)

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Can't really compare the two and I like to leave it at that. Wish I knew the rules of snooker but I mostly play 8-ball or cutthroat.

Have not played in a long time though, used to in college. Can't be bothered wasting money on it tbh

Snooker's rules aren't that complicated. :)

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
How could anyone not know who and what Steve Davis is? My mum knows who he is and she doesn't follow any sport whatsoever!

Snooker isn't played much here in Australia either. There's no competitions that I'm aware of and the only game we play is "Pool" which is like the US "8-ball". It's only played in pubs alongside the consumption of copious quantities of beer.

Having said that, cable TV brings snooker into people's living rooms. I think I recall some Asian woman who was supposed to be some kind of superstar of the game. Dunno what happened to her, but everyone thought she was the bees knees for a time, including herself.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I believe that will change very quickly with the rise of Neil Robertson. He's from Melbourne (I think) and has an excellent chance of winning the World Championships today. His nickname is 'The Thunder from Down Under' and he's one of the best potters I've ever seen (and I have been watching the game since the early Eighties). Keep an eye on him, you Aussies!

P

pcfan123

Hey Oz, if you are talking about jeanette Lee aka the black Widow , then she plays pool and not snooker

jeanette-lee-skins.jpg

Also I read yesterday about some massive bribe scandal in the snooker world, any news on that?

Users who are viewing this thread