Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You not likey? the depth looks pretty decent don't you think?
Yeah, the career mode does look a lot like top spin which was great. It's just something about gameplay that is off putting. Not sure what yet.

D

Dutch

Yeah, the career mode does look a lot like top spin which was great. It's just something about gameplay that is off putting. Not sure what yet.
The ball floats too much and seem s to be in different places at the same time but in other vids I have seen that has been much better!

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
(this post is not a dig at anyone on this forum, but more at the simplistic Top Spin 4 and its sad over hyped status)

It's obvious to me what is "off", and its exactly the same as the very over rated Top Spin 4............there is no side spin prevalent on ANY of the ground strokes, unlike Full Ace Tennis, Virtua Tennis 4, AO Tennis (to a certain extent, slowdown replays show the ball moves in flight sometimes), and Grand Slam Tennis 2 (please don't laugh re: the last game mentioned, because the previously PS3 and XBOX360 only Grand Slam Tennis 2 has a new outlet, it is now playable on PC at 4K resolution...)

I mention Grand Slam Tennis 2 due to the fact that the ball physics which were so spot on in that game, being shown REALLY clearly via the latest PS3 emulator, RPCS3, and if anyone is interested, I can upload to YouTube some videos of Grand Slam Tennis 2, PS3, running at 2160p 4K on PC with this emulator, it really shows off the realistic gameplay that most people have overlooked over the years. The ball physics depict top spin, back spin, left and right spin, combinations of both (it looks incredible on PC at 45fps or so at 4K resolution, and as the RPCS3 developers improve the PS3 emulator, that fps will only increase to a deserved 60fps+ sometime in the coming months), you know, just like the ball moves in the air in real life. Just try telling that to 2KGames 6 years ago and to all those who for some reason believe Top Spin 4 to fit the hype during that period of time, it was so clear too that the advertised "wind effects" in game was all a load of hype too, just watch any replay you can of the game, its always the bloody same straight line physics.....

.....except the serves, which were implemented well. So clearly the coders did know "how" to make the ball "bend" in flight, in relation to side spin depicted on the ball, for serves...

The trouble with all the hype was that the developers then believed their own hype and realized that no-one had noticed the poor ball physics for ground strokes, and decided to cash in on the Top Spin 4 hype and use more or less the same simplistic engine for the new game. How on earth so many people rated Top Spin 4 so highly I will never know, imagine Fifa with shots and crosses that were only ever travelling in a straight line, or DBC14/17/Ashes with spin bowling that showed in the game as............straight line movement of the ball in the air........and even more comical would be a Golf game where the ball always travelled.............straight.

Its not only Top Spin 4 though, an awful lot of Tennis games over the years have depicted ground strokes as only being able to move in a straight line. But that was in the pre PS1 and PS2 are, we are now in the PS3-PS4+ era.....

My apologies to all the Top Spin 4 and imminent Tennis World Tour fans, which seems to be so many people, because I'm really sad that those who are aware of the poor ball physics in the game simply accept it (that's for those who have bothered to notice it, I would be willing to bet that 80% of them have not even looked at the ball movement and are instead busy looking at player animation, and all that kind of irrelevant bollox.....) and so they will only be looking for things that do not relate to the main damn thing behind sports games where a ball is involved. Look at reviews of MLB 14/15/16 etc the Show, all by 2K games, and a prominent thing about these games was the inclusion of real ball physic when the ball is hit and flying out to the field............for some reason Tennis gamer's don't appear, 80%of them I would guess, to have ever seen a broadcast or have ever played the game in their life if they backed Top Spin 4 as being realistic. How bizarre...is it a modern trait?

For the record, I dont think player animation is bollox........but its clear that in Top Spin 4 and this new game that the animations of the players are fine...........but if those are the only factors people look at for "realism" then well, what more can I say.

I would love to be proved wrong with the new game, especially with all the Skills moves that appear to be attainable as you earn them during the game (some of which relate to Slice shots, fingers crossed this means when you gain the "Skill" the ball will move in flight with the natural curvature), but from all the gameplay videos so far, its clearly all straight line shots every time in Tennis World Tour for ground strokes, again, with ONLY the serves looking fine and having the ball bend in flight, realistically.

I cannot fathom, how on earth people will be happy with this if it remains as per the videos we have all seen, although with the feedback to Top Spin 4 over the years, it seemed at times to be almost at fever pitch, then most gamer's maybe had never seen a tennis ball in flight in real life.......and those very same gamer's, with full respect to them and their ability to overlook the most important things in ball related sports games.........

At the end of the day, the fact that the serves bend in flight surely means the coders know how to code bend into the shots.................its more than likely that the issue here is how to judge the placement of the ball for the receiver IF the ball is moving, deviating, via sidespin and for the CPU AI, they decided to keep things simple because when the ball is hit from the other side of the net, the CPU will know where to position the receiving player.

So it is clearly lazyness in terms of coding, and it appears 95% of the public who want Tennis games are happy with lazy.

I will not go the route of comparing McEnroe's one sentence sound bites in the latest videos in comparison to his proper commentary in Grand Slam Tennis 2 alongside Pat Cash, John must be feeling mightily embarrased right now being associated with this "franchise"...

Last edited:

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
(this post is not a dig at anyone on this forum, but more at the simplistic Top Spin 4 and its sad over hyped status)

It's obvious to me what is "off", and its exactly the same as the very over rated Top Spin 4............there is no side spin prevalent on ANY of the ground strokes, unlike Full Ace Tennis, Virtua Tennis 4, AO Tennis (to a certain extent, slowdown replays show the ball moves in flight sometimes), and Grand Slam Tennis 2 (please don't laugh re: the last game mentioned, because the previously PS3 and XBOX360 only Grand Slam Tennis 2 has a new outlet, it is now playable on PC at 4K resolution...)

I mention Grand Slam Tennis 2 due to the fact that the ball physics which were so spot on in that game, being shown REALLY clearly via the latest PS3 emulator, RPCS3, and if anyone is interested, I can upload to YouTube some videos of Grand Slam Tennis 2, PS3, running at 2160p 4K on PC with this emulator, it really shows off the realistic gameplay that most people have overlooked over the years. The ball physics depict top spin, back spin, left and right spin, combinations of both (it looks incredible on PC at 45fps or so at 4K resolution, and as the RPCS3 developers improve the PS3 emulator, that fps will only increase to a deserved 60fps+ sometime in the coming months), you know, just like the ball moves in the air in real life. Just try telling that to 2KGames 6 years ago and to all those who for some reason believe Top Spin 4 to fit the hype during that period of time, it was so clear too that the advertised "wind effects" in game was all a load of hype too, just watch any replay you can of the game, its always the bloody same straight line physics.....

.....except the serves, which were implemented well. So clearly the coders did know "how" to make the ball "bend" in flight, in relation to side spin depicted on the ball, for serves...

The trouble with all the hype was that the developers then believed their own hype and realized that no-one had noticed the poor ball physics for ground strokes, and decided to cash in on the Top Spin 4 hype and use more or less the same simplistic engine for the new game. How on earth so many people rated Top Spin 4 so highly I will never know, imagine Fifa with shots and crosses that were only ever travelling in a straight line, or DBC14/17/Ashes with spin bowling that showed in the game as............straight line movement of the ball in the air........and even more comical would be a Golf game where the ball always travelled.............straight.

Its not only Top Spin 4 though, an awful lot of Tennis games over the years have depicted ground strokes as only being able to move in a straight line. But that was in the pre PS1 and PS2 are, we are now in the PS3-PS4+ era.....

My apologies to all the Top Spin 4 and imminent Tennis World Tour fans, which seems to be so many people, because I'm really sad that those who are aware of the poor ball physics in the game simply accept it (that's for those who have bothered to notice it, I would be willing to bet that 80% of them have not even looked at the ball movement and are instead busy looking at player animation, and all that kind of irrelevant bollox.....) and so they will only be looking for things that do not relate to the main damn thing behind sports games where a ball is involved. Look at reviews of MLB 14/15/16 etc the Show, all by 2K games, and a prominent thing about these games was the inclusion of real ball physic when the ball is hit and flying out to the field............for some reason Tennis gamer's don't appear, 80%of them I would guess, to have ever seen a broadcast or have ever played the game in their life if they backed Top Spin 4 as being realistic. How bizarre...is it a modern trait?

For the record, I dont think player animation is bollox........but its clear that in Top Spin 4 and this new game that the animations of the players are fine...........but if those are the only factors people look at for "realism" then well, what more can I say.

I would love to be proved wrong with the new game, especially with all the Skills moves that appear to be attainable as you earn them during the game (some of which relate to Slice shots, fingers crossed this means when you gain the "Skill" the ball will move in flight with the natural curvature), but from all the gameplay videos so far, its clearly all straight line shots every time in Tennis World Tour for ground strokes, again, with ONLY the serves looking fine and having the ball bend in flight, realistically.

I cannot fathom, how on earth people will be happy with this if it remains as per the videos we have all seen, although with the feedback to Top Spin 4 over the years, it seemed at times to be almost at fever pitch, then most gamer's maybe had never seen a tennis ball in flight in real life.......and those very same gamer's, with full respect to them and their ability to overlook the most important things in ball related sports games.........

At the end of the day, the fact that the serves bend in flight surely means the coders know how to code bend into the shots.................its more than likely that the issue here is how to judge the placement of the ball for the receiver IF the ball is moving, deviating, via sidespin and for the CPU AI, they decided to keep things simple because when the ball is hit from the other side of the net, the CPU will know where to position the receiving player.

So it is clearly lazyness in terms of coding, and it appears 95% of the public who want Tennis games are happy with lazy.

I will not go the route of comparing McEnroe's one sentence sound bites in the latest videos in comparison to his proper commentary in Grand Slam Tennis 2 alongside Pat Cash, John must be feeling mightily embarrased right now being associated with this "franchise"...

I would love to ask Pierre Andre how it is that he does not understand the reality of sidespin in real Tennis, as well as most other modern Tennis games.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Urgh, I had never noticed this and was almost looking forward to buying the game, but after reading your post I now notice every shot is hit straight and it’s really bugging me now :p

D

Dutch

Urgh, I had never noticed this and was almost looking forward to buying the game, but after reading your post I now notice every shot is hit straight and it’s really bugging me now :p
Yeah he does have a point! Basically its Pong with pretty graphics!

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Also from everything I have seen there is no player editor of any kind. So what you get, is what you've got.

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
Also from everything I have seen there is no player editor of any kind. So what you get, is what you've got.

I think that's been known somewhat for a while, it was never going to have a deep creation system like AOIT does, I find it amazing how shocked people are when they realise that, I had a feeling it would be pretty minimal

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
I think that's been known somewhat for a while, it was never going to have a deep creation system like AOIT does, I find it amazing how shocked people are when they realise that, I had a feeling it would be pretty minimal
I do not mean in depth, but at least change names or something. It is shallow and for that price ridiculous IMO.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah he does have a point! Basically its Pong with pretty graphics!

Yeah it’s making me lean back towards AOIT, be interested to see how console version plays once next patch drops

Watching Johnnys streaming and some matches look great, no floaty ball etc but other matches not so good ..?

The editing of AOIT obviously appeals also, plus I can troll Matt regarding things I want improving :p

D

Dutch

Yeah it’s making me lean back towards AOIT, be interested to see how console version plays once next patch drops

Watching Johnnys streaming and some matches look great, no floaty ball etc but other matches not so good ..?

The editing of AOIT obviously appeals also, plus I can troll Matt regarding things I want improving :p
AOIT is really coming along....it needs an in game save option though!

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Oh right agreed, I like to play 6 game sets so save option is a must. :thumbs

Hey I am glad you guys backed me up on my "all shots are straight" big post above, I posted similar onto many sites years ago when Top Spin 4 was getting rated the best Tennis game ever, and got absolutely slated for mentioning it, I think only one person agreed with me amongst a thousand others!!

If any of you would like to see this 4k footage I have created of Grand Slam Tennis 2 on the PC PS3 emulator running at 45 fps, please let me know and i will upload it somewhere, possibly YouTube, it has all that I love in a game in terms of ball movement in the air, and now looks amazing in 4K.

Also, John McEnroe is a player in the game, does proper commentary in it too, unlike what I have heard him do in TWT on the videos I have seen so far where he shouts a quick few words that do not relate to what is on screen!

Users who are viewing this thread