Draft: The 2010s - To celebrate the best players during the decade

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm old enough to remember England in 1999 with a tail of Andy Caddick, Ed Giddins, Phil Tufnell and Alan Mullaly, which I always thought of as the last word in long tails. I reckon Bigby has gone one better: 5 number 11s!!
Give the man some credit, Mitchell Starc is at least an eight or nine. So yeah, four jacks and a nine. That'd be one hell of a poker hand.

Trying to think of the worst tails I've seen in modern times. I think that Abu Jayed coming in at number nine for Bangladesh would have to be a low point. As would Udal, Hoggard, Jimmy and Monty in India in '06. But I think the real lowlight would be a few months or so later when one newspaper bore the headline "DON'T WORRY ENGLAND, MONTY CAN BAT NUMBER EIGHT" which wouldn't have been entirely out of the question given that that would have made nine-ten-jack to be Hoggard, Saj Mahmood and Jimmy

B

Bigby Wolf

I'm old enough to remember England in 1999 with a tail of Andy Caddick, Ed Giddins, Phil Tufnell and Alan Mullaly, which I always thought of as the last word in long tails. I reckon Bigby has gone one better: 5 number 11s!!
Starc and Lyon by no means are no.11s
, you can say that about rest 3.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Saeed Ajmal is my last pick.
A modern-day offspinner who relies on the doosra as much as on other variations of flight and speed, Saeed Ajmal made a relatively late entry into test cricket, quickly moving up to be regarded among the best spinners in the game today. Ajmal didn't play his first Test till almost 32, but showed immediately that he belonged, taking five wickets in his debut Test against Sri Lanka in Galle in 2009.

His golden run, though, started in 2011, when he showed superb control over all his variations - the offspinner, the doosra and the subtle changes in speed and flight. Unlike many offspinners who change their line when bowling the doosra, Ajmal tends to bowl the offspinner and the doosra from around the same line - on or just outside off - which makes it much tougher for batsmen to pick his variations. In 2011 he was the leading wicket-taker in Tests, with 50 in eight matches. But the best series of his young career came early in 2012, when he destroyed the batting line-up of the best team in the world, England, taking 24 wickets in just three games at 14.70. In the process, he clearly won the battle of offspinners against the highly rated Graeme Swann.

He was banned from bowling in international arena, in September 2014 due to an illegal bwling action. Ajmal hoped that he would be allowed to bowl due to naturally having an extension in his arm, from his birth, but not to be. He was never allowed to bowl with that action again. He finally retired in 2017, with a 'heavy heart' as he wanted a farewell international game, but his request was rejected. Pakistan is yet to find a proper replacement of him.

His stats in 2010 decade:
160 wickets in 30 tests at an average of 26.512

My Team:
1.:aus: David Warner :bat: :c:
2.:pak: Azhar Ali :bat:
3.:aus: Marnus Labuschagne :bat:
4.:aus: Adam Voges :bat:
5.:eng: Ben Stokes :ar:
6.:ind: Ravi Ashwin :ar:
7.:saf: Quinton de Kock :wkb:
8.:pak: Saeed Ajmal :bwl:
9.:eng: James Anderson :bwl:
10.:pak: Muhammad Abbas :bwl:
11.:saf: Dale Steyn :bwl:

Imagine facing Abbas, Steyn, Anderson in English conditions or facing Saeed Ajmal and Ashwin in Asia. It would not be very easy, this is what I can assure.

David Warner will be my team's captain. I know that it is a very different choice, but unfortunately, I didn't look at some captain to pick early on, and when I did it was already a bit late. He has a good captaincy record in international cricket and in the IPL too. Australia has won all 3 ODIs under his captaincy, and 8 T20Is from 9. SRH also won their first title, under his captaincy in 2016.

Finally, I would like to thank @VC the slogger for letting me be a part of this draft. Also big thanks to @Aislabie and @Bigby Wolf for consistently helping me out. It was an honor to be a part of this draft and I look forward to come here again.

@blockerdave you are next

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Saeed Ajmal is my last pick.
A modern-day offspinner who relies on the doosra as much as on other variations of flight and speed, Saeed Ajmal made a relatively late entry into test cricket, quickly moving up to be regarded among the best spinners in the game today. Ajmal didn't play his first Test till almost 32, but showed immediately that he belonged, taking five wickets in his debut Test against Sri Lanka in Galle in 2009.

His golden run, though, started in 2011, when he showed superb control over all his variations - the offspinner, the doosra and the subtle changes in speed and flight. Unlike many offspinners who change their line when bowling the doosra, Ajmal tends to bowl the offspinner and the doosra from around the same line - on or just outside off - which makes it much tougher for batsmen to pick his variations. In 2011 he was the leading wicket-taker in Tests, with 50 in eight matches. But the best series of his young career came early in 2012, when he destroyed the batting line-up of the best team in the world, England, taking 24 wickets in just three games at 14.70. In the process, he clearly won the battle of offspinners against the highly rated Graeme Swann.

He was banned from bowling in international arena, in September 2014 due to an illegal bwling action. Ajmal hoped that he would be allowed to bowl due to naturally having an extension in his arm, from his birth, but not to be. He was never allowed to bowl with that action again. He finally retired in 2017, with a 'heavy heart' as he wanted a farewell international game, but his request was rejected. Pakistan is yet to find a proper replacement of him.

His stats in 2010 decade:
160 wickets in 30 tests at an average of 26.512

My Team:
1.:aus: David Warner :bat: :c:
2.:pak: Azhar Ali :bat:
3.:aus: Marnus Labuschagne :bat:
4.:aus: Adam Voges :bat:
5.:eng: Ben Stokes :ar:
6.:ind: Ravi Ashwin :ar:
7.:saf: Quinton de Kock :wkb:
8.:pak: Saeed Ajmal :bwl:
9.:eng: James Anderson :bwl:
10.:pak: Muhammad Abbas :bwl:
11.:saf: Dale Steyn :bwl:

Imagine facing Abbas, Steyn, Anderson in English conditions or facing Saeed Ajmal and Ashwin in Asia. It would not be very easy, this is what I can assure.

David Warner will be my team's captain. I know that it is a very different choice, but unfortunately, I didn't look at some captain to pick early on, and when I did it was already a bit late. He has a good captaincy record in international cricket and in the IPL too. Australia has won all 3 ODIs under his captaincy, and 8 T20Is from 9. SRH also won their first title, under his captaincy in 2016.

Finally, I would like to thank @VC the slogger for letting me be a part of this draft. Also big thanks to @Aislabie and @Bigby Wolf for consistently helping me out. It was an honor to be a part of this draft and I look forward to come here again.

@blockerdave you are next

Good team. One of the better balanced teams I think.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My final choice is Virender Sehwag. The tail-end of his career from 2010-2013 was not as productive as earlier, but he still scored over 2000 runs at 42+ with 6 tons and 13 half-centuries.

Gayle and Sehwag give me a brutal right-hand left-hand opening combination who will look to get on top of the bowling and not let them settle. If Gayle fails, maybe Sehwag comes off. If Sehwag fails, maybe Gayle comes off. If they both fail then Misbah comes up to 4, and he and Pujara look to consolidate allowing De Villiers and Sachin to take on tired bowlers/older ball later.

If they both come off - watch out!

So that completes my team:

1. Chris Gayle
  2. Virender Sehwag
  3. Cheteshwar Pujara
  4. A.B. De Villiers
  5. Sachin Tendulkar
  6. Misbah Ul Haq (c)
  7. B.J. Watling
  8. Mitchell Johnson
  9. Ryan Harris
  10. Rangana Herath
  11. Mohammed Aamir
Overall, I'm happy. It has a bit of a "first half of the decade" bias, but this is a reflection of who was available when I had my choices as much as anything. My initial plan was to take either Jimmy or Steyn, but when they both went Johnson and Harris were the new ball pairing I wanted. And I think Aamir is a pretty good change bowler.

I'm also surprised not to have picked any Englishmen - obviously I would have had Jimmy and Stokes if available, but they weren't. Root and KP were obviously high on my list assuming that others (Smith, Kohli etc. would have been gone.) Finally, I almost picked Tim Bresnan for someone to bowl long spells and add batting depth, but by then I knew I almost certainly wouldn't have a seaming all-rounder, so wanted the extra penetraion of Aamir

Batting - obviously given a free rein I'd have Williamson, Smith and Kohli, probably keeping only ABD of the existing middle order, but it's still a strong engine room and quite flexible.

I like the balance in the team, you might argue I'm a seamer light: none of the 3 seamers are exactly workhorses who will bowl long spells. But Herath offers control, and Gayle and Sehwag will turn their arm over too when the seamers need a break. If Johnson, Harris and Aamir are on their game, we won't be in the field long.

@Aislabie to make the final* pick

-----------------------

*Perhaps not final: may I impose on people's good will? And apologies to @VC the slogger for "hijacking" the draft. Could you all pick a 12th man? I'd rather like to set up a Cricket 19 competition between these squads, but they need to have 12 man squads.
If you're all ok with it, please make one more qualifying pick in the reverse order of the last round - e.g.
@Aislabie (so you'd get another double pick)
@blockerdave
@AsadRM
@DalePlaysSports
@Bigby Wolf

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Could you all pick a 12th man? I'd rather like to set up a Cricket 19 competition between these squads, but they need to have 12 man squads.
If you're all ok with it, please make one more qualifying pick in the reverse order of the last round - e.g.
@Aislabie (so you'd get another double pick)
@blockerdave
@AsadRM
@DalePlaysSports
@Bigby Wolf

I would love it! Specially if you stream as much as it is convenient to you.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Great.

If you're up for it as well as nominating a qualifying 12th man, feel free to suggest a name, colour, and home stadium that you think would suit your players... I'll create the cricket 19 teams and share and stream what i can.

B

Bigby Wolf

Great.

If you're up for it as well as nominating a qualifying 12th man, feel free to suggest a name, colour, and home stadium that you think would suit your players... I'll create the cricket 19 teams and share and stream what i can.
Thats great man will see if I can help you on that (creating teams) as I have it on Steam and do have a habit if tinkering a lot in the academy since DBC 14 days.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Thats great man will see if I can help you on that (creating teams) as I have it on Steam and do have a habit if tinkering a lot in the academy since DBC 14 days.

Thanks for the very kind offer - though tbh I've already checked and depending on who people choose as 12th man (and who @Aislabie chooses as keeper if it's not Brad Haddin) every player selected in the draft is already created on the server with the exception of Adam Voges and I've already made him.

I've actually got 5 placeholder teams ready to go and filled with the currently selected players. Just need to add 12th men as and when they get selected, and any other details people want.

I'll be sure to share the teams once done in case you want to play with them.[DOUBLEPOST=1579114017][/DOUBLEPOST]
Aye I probably spend more time in the academy than playing any actual cricket :lol

I've been there!

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Thanks for the very kind offer - though tbh I've already checked and depending on who people choose as 12th man (and who @Aislabie chooses as keeper if it's not Brad Haddin) every player selected in the draft is already created on the server with the exception of Adam Voges and I've already made him.

I've actually got 5 placeholder teams ready to go and filled with the currently selected players. Just need to add 12th men as and when they get selected, and any other details people want.

I'll be sure to share the teams once done in case you want to play with them.[DOUBLEPOST=1579114017][/DOUBLEPOST]

I've been there!

It'll be well over half the time I've played the game :lol

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Overall Pick #55: Matt Prior
prior-383816.jpg

The ninth country represented in my team is England, who will provide wicket-keeper Matt Prior to my team. Prior's excellence was thoroughly underappreciated by those who saw him as a batsman who learned how to keep, but by the time the 2010s rolled around, he was a world-class gloveman irrespective of what he achieved in front of the stumps. But he achieved this without allowing his batting returns to drop off: generally taking on the role of the counter-puncher, he averaged nearly 40 runs scored at a rapid pace, but that didn't mean he wasn't able to dig in and fight when the situation demanded it. It was his determined rearguard saw England through to a series-saving draw against the Kiwis, but even then he couldn't help but score at nearly four an over.

2010s Statistics (54 matches)
:bat: Right-handed batsman
2,709 runs @ 39.26 (5 centuries, best 126)
:wk: Wicket-keeper
198 dismissals (187 catches, 11 stumpings)

Role in the Team

With a middle-order platform laid by Kumar, Younis and Shiv, it's Prior who comes in to plunder the offerings of tired and dispirited bowlers. His excellence stood back from the stumps will be particularly useful given the frankly obscene pace attack that we have going on.

Overall Pick #56: Rashid Khan
Rashid-Khan-bowling.jpg
Hey, if I get to pick a 12th man, why not pick a tenth nation as well. He might only have played four Tests (indeed, that I imagine is why he's not made anyone's team) but Rashid Khan's sheer presence has dominated every game but for his debut. As 12th man though, his main role will be to run around a lot in the field, but if we encountered a dustbowl we could maybe make room for him as a second spinner. Presumably in place of Wagner of Philander?

2010s Statistics (4 matches)
:bat: Right-handed batsman
106 runs @ 15.14 (best 51)

:bwl: Leg-break bowler
23 wickets @ 21.08 (3 5WI, best 6/49)

Role in the Team
To run around in the field, and carry drinks

Aislabie's XI:
1. :saf: :bat: Graeme Smith (Pick #45)
2. :ban: :bat: Tamim Iqbal (Pick #46)
3. :sri: :bat: Kumar Sangakkara (Pick #3)
4. :pak: :bat: Younis Khan (Pick #26)
5. :wi: :bat: Shiv Chanderpaul (Pick #31)
6. :eng: :wk: Matt Prior (Pick #55)
7. :ind: :ar: Ravindra Jadeja (Pick #8)
8. :saf: :ar: Vernon Philander (Pick #17)
9. :aus: :bwl: Pat Cummins (Pick #14)
10. :nzf: :bwl: Neil Wagner (Pick #25)
11. :ind: :bwl: Jasprit Bumrah (Pick #40)

12th man - :afg: Rashid Khan (Pick #56)

Next pick:
@blockerdave

Users who are viewing this thread