Draft: The All-Time One-Day Draft

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This might be a harder pick than I thought it would be. Ehh... so many tempting options.

Bevab

Staff Member
I'll pick :wi::wkb:Clyde Walcott and :aus::bwl:Nathan Bracken (sorry @Aislabie :p).

Walcott was the most destructive of the three Ws, a burly man who could smash deliveries over the bowlers and fielders for sixes all day long. So powerful were his hits that his back-foot drives were described to be more powerful than most players' front-foot drives. His sole weakness was his susceptibility to swing bowling but in a modern ODI where he would be batting in the middle order, that would barely be an issue. Richie Benaud described him as “I have never seen a more powerful batsman than Walcott, and when he was ‘going’, it was almost impossible to bowl a length to him.” and Walcott had an eerily similar approach to modern ODI stars of hitting through the line for maximum power in his shots. He was described to be almost unbeatable on a good pitch and in a modern ODI were pitches are all about being flat, imagine the chaos he could create in the middle overs and towards the death. Enough about his raw power though, he was also a very skilled test batsman who averaged 56 and could defend and grind an innings if needed. Why do so though, when you've got the ability and power to absolutely dominate bowling attacks like the legendary Viv though?

In my lineup, Walcott will bat at five but with the freedom to be promoted to four if it's around the thirty over mark. He'll fulfill the role of an AbD or a Jos Buttler and provide absolute magic in the middle overs to elevate the scoring rate and entertain the crowd.

Will try to finish Bracken's write-up later.

@CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I'll go with Abdul Razzaq to fill the last spot remaining at 7, a position he is tailor-made for. Don't let his strike rate of 81 deceive you, this guy can be a destructive hitter in the right circumstances, which didn't come too often when he was in his prime, as his batting position was quite inconsistent, proven by the fact that he is one of the few players to have batted in every position, from opener to number 11. He is also very useful with his fast-medium bowling if needed.

CerealKiller's XI
1. :aus: Don Bradman :bat: :slvo:
2. :nzf: Martin Guptill :bat:
3. :nzf: Kane Williamson :bat:
4. :ind: Rahul Dravid :wkb:
5. :ban: Shakib Al Hasan :ar:
6. :ind: Suresh Raina :ar:
7. :pak: Abdul Razzaq :ar:
8. :afg: Rashid Khan :ar: :redo:
9. :saf: Dale Steyn :bwl:
10. :pak: Shoaib Akhtar :bwl:
11. :saf: Morne Morkel :bwl:

@AsadRM

Bevab

Staff Member
Bit of a very odd move but I'll opt for :ban: :bwl: Mustafizur Rahman as he is the closest I can find to Nathan Bracken in terms of role suitability. Oh and he also happens to be a world-class and terribly underrated bowler because he plays for a side that seldom offers him the support he deserves.

Over the last five years there is only one pacer who's done better in terms of bowling average and if you're only second to an ATG like Mitchell Starc, you know that you're doing something exceptional. The only countries that he's struggled against are the Aussies, the English (he's only played 4 games versus them to be fair) and the Kiwis where his figures have been affected by the horror 2021 tour. He's got incredibly good numbers versus India, arguably the second best ODI side in the last four years and everyone else including the Lankans and West Indies whose sides are probably closer in quality to the Bangladeshi side he plays for, showing that he can be much more effective if he were to play in a better side.

His unique strength? @Aislabie has already pointed out that only three pacers ever in the history of cricket have been able to spin the ball with a seamer's pace, in essence bowling a spinning fast delivery. The Fizz thrives in executing his off-cutters by rolling his fingers across with his very awkward action. At his peak he was able to bowl genuine 140+ kph deliveries and also spin the ball with frequent dipping of his pace. Even after numerous injuries have curtailed his ability to bowl that quick, The Fizz has still thrived due to his ability to bowl incredibly accurate deliveries. It doesn't matter if you know that he's going to bowl a 130 kph off-cutter if he nails it nearly every-time. And he's arguably been back to his best in recent times as he's developed multiple subtle variations and deliveries to keep batsmen guessing to make up for his drop in pace.

And have I mentioned how versatile he is? He can be the enforcer for Bangladesh by bowling absolutely unplayable deliveries that ensure batsmen best leave him alone or he can play the role of a strike-bowler as he did so effectively in the 2019 World Cup, where he was the third highest wicket-taker with two five-wicket hauls. As Bangladeshi's greatest pacer ever, there is little doubt that he would belong in a version of an ATG ODI XI.

Mittal2002

Club Captain
Sorry for missing my picks. I got two picks outstanding.

TONY GRAY
gray.jpg

Bowling

FormatMatInnsBallsRunsWktsBBIBBMAveEconSR4w5w10w
Test510888377224/396/12117.132.5440.30100
ODI25241270835446/506/5018.973.9428.80210
FC12220548102834518/4022.803.0045.50194
List A91446729521286/506/5023.063.9634.80510

During the 1980s, the Caribbean region boasted of countless quality speedsters who themselves could have filled almost every other international team as well. At first glance, Tony Gray's career numbers make for astonishing reading. The Trinidadian picked up 44 wickets from 25 ODIs at an average of 18.97 and economy-rate of 3.94. Gray had the misfortune of competing with the likes of Joel Garner, Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall, Courtney Walsh and Curtly Ambrose among others. A tall, fierce and deadly bowler was the only thing lacking in my team and Gray provides much balance to my bowling attack.

I will post my second pick in a while.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Now is probably a good time to remind everyone of the expectation to pick at least two Associate players in your teams. You can pick one of these as your 12th man if you want, so there's not too much pressure

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
[REDACTED]

Last edited:

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
To complete my XI, I shall go for Mohammad Nabi, the Afghan all-rounder! A handy hard-hitting finisher and a very economical off-spinner, Nabi provides my side great balance. Plus, his playing career with Afghanistan being an Associate Team before 2017 means that he completes the 2 Associate players quota as well.

1. :nzf: Brendon McCullum :wkb:
2. :pak: Saeed Anwar :bat:
3. :aus: Steve Smith :bat:
4. :pak: Inzamam-ul-Haq :bat:
5. :eng: Ben Stokes :ar:
6. :saf: David Miller :bat:
7. :afg: Mohammad Nabi :ar: :redo: (1/2)
8. :pak: Wasim Akram :ar:
9. :eng: Adil Rashid :bwl:
10. :pak: Waqar Younis :bwl:
11. :den: Ole Mortensen :bwl: :redo: (1/2)

I am quite satisfied with my team, especially due to the fact that with quite a few participants in the draft, we all missed out on a few shortlisted players.

Nevertheless, the 2W's, Mortensen, and the partnership-breaker Stokes with the likes of Adil Rashid and Mohammad Nabi is a very good bowling attack. The batting with the likes of McCullum, Anwar, Smith, Inzamam, etc is a very good one as well. The overall balance of the side is good and I hope to pick a good #12 as well.

@Yash.
Invalid

Users who are viewing this thread