ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
My first pick here would be Saeed Ajmal, who can be regarded as a late bloomer with great tricks with a doosra that is impossible to read. Has a better bowling average than Muralitharan.
Only If he doesn't get banned for an illegal action....

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Saeed Anwar

21998.2.jpg

I had to check the index a few times and I could not believe that nobody picked him yet. Also, I might be getting a little biased towards my countrymen, but it would be criminal not to pick Saeed Anwar.

His Career Overview from Cricbuzz: "A flamboyant left hander, Anwar was an immediate success in ODIs. Majestic timing and immaculate placement were trademarks whenever he came out to bat. Like most modern openers, minimal footwork was something which never bothered him as excellent hand-eye coordination made amends for that. Majority of his runs were scored in the region between cover and point as he utilized minimal width outside the off stump to find even the minutest gaps in the field. There have been instances where he has exasperated the bowlers with sublime off side play despite the captain packing that part of the field, especially in the record breaking knock of 194 against India in Chennai. But this strength was exploited by good bowlers in Tests where he was regularly caught at gully while poking at deliveries away from the stumps. His run-scoring (8824 runs in 247 ODIs) also took the detractors eye away from another major drawback which was his fielding. But Pakistan were happy to have an opener in the side who scored runs at an average of 39 and a strike rate of 81 in ODI cricket. Anwar finished his ODI career with 20 international hundreds with 7 of them coming at the Sharjah cricket ground, a favorite hunting ground for Pakistan throughout the 90s. Comparatively, his Test record was a bit average as he ended up with 4052 runs in 91 Test innings with 11 hundreds."

1. :nzf: Brendon McCullum :wkb:
2. :pak: Saeed Anwar :bat:
4. :pak: Inzamam-ul-Haq :bat:
8. :pak: Wasim Akram :ar:
10. :pak: Waqar Younis :bwl:
11. :den: Ole Mortensen :bwl: :redo: (1/2)

@CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
CerealKiller's XI
1. :aus: Don Bradman :bat: :slvo:
3. :nzf: Kane Williamson :bat:
5. :ban: Shakib Al Hasan :ar:
8. :afg: Rashid Khan :ar: :redo:
9. :saf: Dale Steyn :bwl:
10. :pak: Shoaib Akhtar :bwl:

@Bevab

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
God damn it, both Miller and Anwar were on my shortlist of players that somehow got glossed over. Especially Miller.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Oh well, it is time to bring in a big gun and be a bit sneaky about it.

So according to the rules, a player must have played at least one List A match to be eligible. Oh and he needs to be from a non-Test country (at that time) to be eligible for the associate rule.

One of the greatest, if not the greatest fielder cricket has ever seen was from one such country. His prime was before List A cricket's emergence but he just about managed to sneak in five games. This bloke would be one of South Africa's stars in the 60s prior to their ban. Oh and for good measure, he played for Rhodesia before South African call-ups and also after his test career.

His strengths you ask? How about being so talented in the field that many regard him as the greatest fielder in the outfield and in the covers? Batsmen would hesitate to run singles in the cover region where he prowled! And this was in the 60s, where singles were meant to be a leisure. His rocket arm was the stuff of legend in two (later three) countries. Crowds flocked to watch him field. He was that much of an entertainer.

His best moments in the field arguably came on a tour of England where two run-outs he effected of Barrington and Jim Parks were so spectacular and unbelievable that they left the crowd stunned and the batsmen absolutely dejected.

Every description so far has all been about his fielding but he was very capable with the bat too. Averaging nearly fifty in tests as a middle order bat and failing in only one series, he liked to go for a big six early on and would frequently loft the ball in search of runs particularly favouring the drive shot.

After all of this, it is an absolute no brainer to add :saf: :bat: Colin Bland to my XI and have him be the middle order glueman who can play the role of a firefighter/old school finisher whilst also filling one of the associate roles.

:saf: :wk: Quinton de Kock
:wi: :ar: Gary Sobers
:eng: :ar: Andrew Flintoff
:saf: :bat: Colin Bland :redo:
:wi: :ar: Franklyn Stephenson
:pak: :bwl: Saqlain Mushtaq

@Mittal2002

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
After all of this, it is an absolute no brainer to add :saf: :bat: Colin Bland to my XI and have him be the middle order glueman who can play the role of a firefighter/old school finisher whilst also filling one of the associate roles.
Did have him in my list for the Associate pick. Great pick.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
I have updated my last pick to Aubrey Faulkner instead of Polly Umrigar

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I have updated my last pick to Aubrey Faulkner instead of Polly Umrigar
I don't think it would be allowed to change your pick after someone has picked after you. However, it is upto @Aislabie to confirm

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
I don't think it would be allowed to change your pick after someone has picked after you. However, it is upto @Aislabie to confirm
In my defense I didn't get much time to research on my last pick due to busy schedule, so hastily picked someone. Then got some time and changed it, since only a few couple picks are made since. It's also a like for like replacement.

Over to @Aislabie to make the final call.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I expect your next pick to be Saleem Elahi :cheers
:lol

Most of the non-Pakistani players in my mind got picked quite early so I might as well make a Pakistani all-time XI. :D

Users who are viewing this thread