Your Cricket The Art of Legspin

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Tape/tennis ball cricket is not a bowlers game, at all. There is simply nothing in it. Most of the wickets come from wild slogs. The main goal has to be to restrict them from scoring by adjusting line, length, and pace. You aren't going to be getting much swing.

I bowl medium pacers in the form but have dibbled in off spin. The speed is far to slow for the spin to have much of an impact, though. Just bowl Styris like off cutters if you want another element to your bowling. Try to keep it stump to stump and vary the length. Most street cricketers are heavy pullers though and strong on the leg side, so you may want to pitch it outside off and hope for a catch.

Cricketman added 3 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Rubber ball cricket has much more in it for the bowlers. As I am a medium pacer I relish the bounce that I get, and with the added density I can bowl with more pace and actually intimidate the batsman. Minor injuries (ie, getting hit in the eye or nose) are commonplace and work to the bowlers advantage. Spinners can benefit from the bounce as well as the rubber ball spits off the surface with varying bounce and turn. If you are playing somewhat 'real' cricket, where the batsman look to defend a bit rather than slog everything you bowl, the spinners can get a fair few wickets via catches at shortleg/batpad.

I love backyard cricket :D.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
You click your finger not figure :p

Don't worry about your action, try to bowl a normal leg-break, but in the end click your fingers.

First thing is first, do you know how to click your fingers?

ya, i know how to click fingers. and i also tried just clicking the ball from hand to hand. but when i try to bowl it, i cant, it just gets very awkward. so i just stopped

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It feels very easy for me, my flipper actually seems to land somewhat where I want it. My leggies seem to go down leg side and my spin comes and goes. I've gone a bit more round arm which is allowing me to turn my long hops but haven't got my proper line and length leg break turning. I've been told to turn the wrist more but seems uncomfortable for me. Also can't do the wrongun for the life of me, I tell myself to release it out of the back of the hand but my shoulder takes a battering when doing it and if I do get it, its got next to no speed.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
my legspin goes down the legside a lot too. how do i fix that? even after bowling for hr i will go down the leg side. thats way too long time to be bowling down the leg side.

and as far as googly goes, i am better at it then my leggy :laugh i thought about just bowling the wrong'un and throw in the leg spin 1s in a while here and there. use my leg spin as my googly. my toppy is sharp, but sometimes it turns into a half turned googly with lot of bounce. how do i keep it straight with bounce?

and i have been trying to bowl my fast 1 as well. i bowl it seam up, like a fast bowler, with same action, sometimes it comes in a lot too.

TumTum

International Cricketer
and i have been trying to bowl my fast 1 as well. i bowl it seam up, like a fast bowler, with same action, sometimes it comes in a lot too.

Try to bowl that one with the seam pointing towards the slips. And you can get that swing which Shoaib Malik has done in Hobart.

To correct the leg-side problem, just bowl outside off-stump and the drift occasionally will get it to straighten. DO NOT attempt that Warne delivery where he gets them bowled behind the legs. We are just not that good enough.

Also I cannot bowl the proper googly either. So I bowl a genuine off-break, but I kinda try to disguise it in my action.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
something that you never do at the girls...

MacLovin added 10 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

@ Zorax. for tape tennis, i used to get those Warne turns from the leg side. I used to bowled people with that :p i am not kidding, not bragging. I am being honest to God. And i know why i would get those huge turns, something i can never do with red ball. It's because tape tennis was lot smaller, and lighter. And I would hold it with my whole hand, turn it with my 1st 4 fingers and use my pinkie to guide it. So rather then putting the ball in between the index and middle, i used to put it between the pinkie and rest. try it, trust me, it works.

But not possible with red ball. you will end up with 4 fingers.

Try to bowl that one with the seam pointing towards the slips. And you can get that swing which Shoaib Malik has done in Hobart.

To correct the leg-side problem, just bowl outside off-stump and the drift occasionally will get it to straighten. DO NOT attempt that Warne delivery where he gets them bowled behind the legs. We are just not that good enough.

Also I cannot bowl the proper googly either. So I bowl a genuine off-break, but I kinda try to disguise it in my action.

i used to do that. lol. it was very obvious.

btw i turn the ball the most in our parking lot, which is concrete, road. a little less on the pitch. and the least on those carpet pitch

some of the guys here gets more turn on the carpet pitch. why is that?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
What do you guys mean by clicking the fingers?
Get a nice shiny ball and instead of rolling your fingers around the seam, pinch the ball out between your first two fingers and your thumb. When you toss it for practice, try to just push it straight up in the air, because it can spaz out a lot more than rolling the ball from hand-to-hand. When you get it right, you will make a good snapping sound and you will be able to watch the ball spin the 'wrong' direction about the seam.

There's actually a lot of depth to the flipper beyond the mystique and difficulty of it; when you understand the physics of it, you can quickly understand that it's not just a variation, but a method of generating spin for a whole suite of variations. This is why Grimmett was said to bowl the flipper more than the stock ball, because he realised he could turn it either way just like the regular grip.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Tape/tennis ball cricket is not a bowlers game, at all. There is simply nothing in it. Most of the wickets come from wild slogs. The main goal has to be to restrict them from scoring by adjusting line, length, and pace. You aren't going to be getting much swing.

I bowl medium pacers in the form but have dibbled in off spin. The speed is far to slow for the spin to have much of an impact, though. Just bowl Styris like off cutters if you want another element to your bowling. Try to keep it stump to stump and vary the length. Most street cricketers are heavy pullers though and strong on the leg side, so you may want to pitch it outside off and hope for a catch.
Dunnow about you, but I love bowling offies in tape ball cricket. It's so effective. They spin sharply, and if the batsman over-hits you the ball will just hang in the air. Toss a few up with big spin, fire on in shorter, and then fire one in with a lot of rip, the batsman will be caught off-guard. On a good windy day, you can confuse them with drift. You can change the angle and fire the ball in from around the wicket into their toes. It's very effective against batsmen who just slog through the legside.

As for the flipper, there is a video on youtube where Terry Jenner explain it (Along with all other variations). I never focused on it though, it was just too complicated.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
something that you never do at the girls...

MacLovin added 10 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

@ Zorax. for tape tennis, i used to get those Warne turns from the leg side. I used to bowled people with that :p i am not kidding, not bragging. I am being honest to God. And i know why i would get those huge turns, something i can never do with red ball. It's because tape tennis was lot smaller, and lighter. And I would hold it with my whole hand, turn it with my 1st 4 fingers and use my pinkie to guide it. So rather then putting the ball in between the index and middle, i used to put it between the pinkie and rest. try it, trust me, it works.

But not possible with red ball. you will end up with 4 fingers.

i used to do that. lol. it was very obvious.

btw i turn the ball the most in our parking lot, which is concrete, road. a little less on the pitch. and the least on those carpet pitch

some of the guys here gets more turn on the carpet pitch. why is that?

LOL at the first part.

We play on concrete tracks, since due to the weather here, a cricket pitch cant be created, I do get alot of spin with the tapebowl (both leg and off) but when I use the hard ball, I can only do off spin. Off spin is easier IMO for the bowler and the batsman and that is why I tend to stick to leg spin. I have tried alot hard to work on my googly, I tend to get it right when I do my action in slow motion, but on normal mode its a wide down the legside. Any ideas why I tend to get less spin with the hard ball as compared to tape-ball? Also can someone help me with my googly issue?

Due to my inability to bowl the googly I bowl a mixture of offspinners, legspinners, quicker ones, variations in flight and nasty medium pace bowl that is pretty quick. I even tried bowling the bouncer :p. At tape-bowl level variations is crucial as batsman slog you wildly and get away with it. When I bowl as a spinner in T20s, I tend to get wickets but my economy goes pretty high, as a medium pacer I tend to get run a ball in a T20 game but hardly take wickets.

stereotype

Club Cricketer
If your googly is going down leg side it means you are either releasing it too early or your wrist isn't in the right position.

I found it harder initially to bowl with the proper 4 piece ball than the 2 piece ball I used in juniors, I find the seam is less prominent and it gripped on the turf a little less. I found it important to make sure there is plenty of drift and dip on the ball in those cases in an attempt to beat the batsman in the flight I always seemed to make the ball spin more when I got those things right, and it exaggerates the spin from the batsman's point of view.

TumTum

International Cricketer
I found it important to make sure there is plenty of drift and dip on the ball in those cases in an attempt to beat the batsman in the flight I always seemed to make the ball spin more when I got those things right, and it exaggerates the spin from the batsman's point of view.

Yep that is the case with me too. Usually more drift happens because you spin the ball more, so you can use that as a guide.

BTW I can bowl fast balls (like really fast). And I attempted to bowl the bouncer on several occasion while bowling spin. It really puts the batsmen off, although I never came close to picking up a wicket with it.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
rate you leg spin ability. be honest please, no need to brag, there is no point..

Leg spin: 7, light and length: 5/6 < need to work on it

Googly: 8? | L&L: 7 < best of all

Top spin: 7 | L&L: 6/7 < bowl it the least

Faster 1: ████ | L&L: shitier < .. no comment

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Clicking the fingers is a great art which seems to be very good for me until I was in school but as soon we grow people start to picking it up more and more and now I bowl it much more less.
For me an over with 3 normal leg spin deliveries, 1 googly, 1 flipper, 1 top spin or faster one without any spin is template for every over.
I can't able to bowl a faster one as for me it went most of the time horribly wrong.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I can see why they're picking it, once an over is too many looks. The back spinning flipper has to surprise a batsman, the ideal situation being when the batsman thinks you've dropped him a long hop. If they're just reading the ball with their ears, then here is a trick: in delivery, try snapping the fingers of your other hand for a ball that isn't a flipper.

Ultimately, the acme of skill is in stealthy variation. In his later career, with age and injury taking its toll, Shane Warne effectively substituted the flipper for the slider as his big show-stopper. He could do this because the bulk of the difficulty was in facing the leg break, itself a composite group of slightly different deliveries. With the batsman set into a rhythm of trying to chase different leg breaks, he is set up for the unassuming ball with straightens.

If you're relying on obvious variations, maybe you need to work on the subtle ones more. Do you only bowl one leg break, or do you have both the big one and the little one? Can you bowl one that is a cross between top spin and side spin? Always look for such questions to ask yourself, so when the time comes, you have more answers than the batsman does!

Users who are viewing this thread