The Book Thread

Fahrenheit 451 is amazing. I love stories dealing with dystopia or living under Naziesque regimes.

Finished reading Death of a Salesman and The Great Gatsby. Really enjoyed Death of a Salesman, a great read. The Great Gatsby was quite good as well. I liked how all sorts was going on at the end, just asking for it lol.

Now onto Antony and Cleopatra, and The Kiterunner. Once I've finished those two I'm going to check out the new Jonathon Wilson book (well new-ish, out before the World Cup) - The Anatomy of England: A History in Ten Matches

Thats a nice book! :)
A pity the movie was ordinary in comparison!

Fahrenheit 451 is amazing. I love stories dealing with dystopia or living under Naziesque regimes.

Both arrived today and looking forward to tucking in to both.

Finished reading Death of a Salesman and The Great Gatsby. Really enjoyed Death of a Salesman, a great read. The Great Gatsby was quite good as well. I liked how all sorts was going on at the end, just asking for it lol.

Death of A salesman is fantastic - the fact it reads brilliantly despite being a play is testament to Miller's genius.

I started Homer's Odysseus translated from Greek. What amazes me is the fact that the whole story is written in the form of poetry. Especially the english translators have tried to maintain a metre rule for this translated Epic.
I mean it beautifully transcends into a world where Gods mingled with Humans and the struggle of one man against all odds.

Ofc

"all animals are created equal but some are more equal than others"

Going to attempt to read War and Peace again just so I can drop it into casual conversation; not that it will impress them merely for my own satisfaction and so I can give that look half way between snobbery and smugness. My last attempt didn't get me too far but that was over two years ago.

And hell if this attempt goes for a Burton at least I can impress the ladies by nonchalantly leaning over and saying I've read the prelude to War and Peace; should knock 'em bandy.

Just got my copy of Exodus by Leon Uris in the mail, read the 1st few chapters and looks like its going to be a fantastic read.

Ok this book is brilliant, has anyone else read it?

"That's right and from this point on your visit becomes social, so get out."

:laugh

Have to remember that line

Finished fear and loathing.

Fantastic. I love books which are not plot driven. (I love plot driven ones too, actually. Maybe I just love books)

But I can't stop here. It's bat country.

Almost finished Exodus.

I have to say this book has opened my eyes. My knowledge on the creation of the state of Israel was fairly limited but this book sums it up brilliantly. Its a very powerful and gut wrenching story that documents the plight of Holocaust victims before and after the war.

I think its very important for anyone who claims to have an opinion of the Israel issue to give this a read. One thing this book has made damn clear to me is that "Anti-Zionism" is a code word (and a poor one at that) for Antisemitism.

Its a collective failing of humanity that we have let Antisemitism rear its head again in Europe.

Going to attempt to read War and Peace again just so I can drop it into casual conversation; not that it will impress them merely for my own satisfaction and so I can give that look half way between snobbery and smugness. My last attempt didn't get me too far but that was over two years ago.

I studied War and Peace at Uni. Just skip through all the battle descriptions and Tolstoy's philosophy of history stuff and it goes by quicker...
Anyone here in a book group? Ours is about to start up again for the year.

Just finished Leave it to Psmith by P.G Wodehouse. I'm still cracking up.:laugh

Finally got A Tale of Two Cities from my friend. Haven't started reading it but I'm sure I'd have a great time.

Users who are viewing this thread