The Book Thread

Siddhant007

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
Best Generation ever remind me of What Young India Wants a bit . It is a very Good Book Must Read I finished it in 1 Day (53Pages) I really Like the Ideas of Aditya to Improve India Keep writing thanks for sending me

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Got these books from the World Book Fair in Delhi today:

Selected Poems of Pablo Neruda, Vintage Classics.
The Complete Short Stories of Kafka, Vintage Classics.
The Liar by Stephen Fry.
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
Short Stories by Premchand.
Mythologies by Roland Barthes.
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, which was promptly gifted to a friend.
Headley and I, which was a complementary gift from the Amazon store. Don't really care about this book.

Some books I considered but postponed purchasing: Pynchon's Against the Day, Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey and a few Stephen King books.
Overall, dissatisfied. There were a few books I hoped to find at prices lower than those at the online stores but I couldn't.

A

A.R123 Max

Guys Oliver Twist. It's an Awesome book. Containing adventures. A story based on an orphan Oliver who's Mom had died after giving him birth. He struggled and met lots of adventures.

Siddhant007

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
Just finished reading all chetan and ravinder singh books (Excluding Edited By Ravinder) after exams would be reading wings of fire - an autobiography of Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam

Will Nile

School Cricketer
The Alchemist
War and Peace
and
Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion (books intersesting than movies)

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Just re-read The Adventures of Tom Sawyers. Still awesome. I'm planning to re-read Around the World in 80 days. Another book that I always wanted to read is War and Peace by Tolstoy (spell check), but I never had time.

Varun

ICC Board Member
@CerealKiller - just a heads up if you haven't got your hands on the better translations. Don't go for the public domain versions of Around the World in 80 Days and War and Peace. Both of them are outdated translations with especially the former being heavily edited according to the whims and fancies of the translators. For any novel by Jules Verne, the William Butcher translations are complete and the best. For War and Peace and in general most Russian literature, try to find the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I have 3 books to read. Around the world in 80 days, War and Peace & Sachin Tendulkar- Playing it my way. If anyone could suggest more interesting and better books, it would be great.

Currently reading Sachin Tendulkar - Playing it my way.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
@CerealKiller - just a heads up if you haven't got your hands on the better translations. Don't go for the public domain versions of Around the World in 80 Days and War and Peace. Both of them are outdated translations with especially the former being heavily edited according to the whims and fancies of the translators. For any novel by Jules Verne, the William Butcher translations are complete and the best. For War and Peace and in general most Russian literature, try to find the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations.
I read them in German.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have 3 books to read. Around the world in 80 days, War and Peace & Sachin Tendulkar- Playing it my way. If anyone could suggest more interesting and better books, it would be great.
I'd recommend "The Adventures of Tom Sawyers" and "Robinson Crusoe". If you want something more "modern" read "(Un)Arranged Marriage."

Users who are viewing this thread