The Book Thread

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Love Agatha Christie novels so much, read Peril at End House a few days back and currently reading Endless Night. As anyone with an interest in mystery novels might say, magnificent!

Varun

ICC Board Member
Endless Night by Christie. Terrific, just terrific. A great amalgamation of crime, thrill, mystery, romance, and a shocking climax, along with a subtle demonstration of human nature, one of those novels which send you into self-introspection for some time.

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Mein Kampf.

I really can see where he's coming from. Can certainly empathise anywho.

Varun

ICC Board Member
Fahrenheit 451.

Anything more needs to be written?

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Has anyone read this one?

200px-Q_and_A_-_black_swan_edition.jpg

I've heard that its a good one. Would like to have a review before buying if any of you has read it.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Boy is the one I have just completed yesterday. It's really an amazing book from Roald Dahl.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Has anyone read this one?

200px-Q_and_A_-_black_swan_edition.jpg

I've heard that its a good one. Would like to have a review before buying if any of you has read it.

That's the book Slumdog Millionaire is based off, isn't it? It's absolutely brilliant. I thought the film didn't even come close to doing the book justice.

Varun

ICC Board Member
I'm searching for a book which focuses on the Russian Revolution, Stalin's reign and post-Stalin communist Russia - most preferably from a neutral or non-extreme perspective. Any recommendations would be great.

King Cricket

International Coach
'Animal Farm' would be my recommendation. It's neither neutral nor non-extreme, but the satire is scathing and the metaphors are striking. That's Orwell at the crest of his literary powers.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Animal Farm won't give you any kind of overview just a satirical critique. The first book I read on the period was Geoffrey Hosking's History of the Soviet Union but it's now 20 years old so I doubt it would be as good on the fall of the Soviet Union and perestroika and glasnost.
I did also study this at Uni so I'll look out the books I still have from that. If you go online you can probably get a reading list for a Russian survey course from somewhere.
As for your comment about neutral history, how much you still have to learn ;)
There's no such thing!

Varun

ICC Board Member
Although Animal Farm is already on my list, I'd like a book with more factual description of the history as well.

----------

Okay, didn't see your post, Colin.

Yeah, I'm a little bit naive at best on history of the Russia and general mid-20th century history, although I have a slight idea and factual knowledge of Stalin's reign (1984 helped, also did other books with references or side-references to the topic), Hitler's Nazi Germany, World War II etc. At least enough for some basic conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread