The Dead-Rubber WC?

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
The whole thing has been very mellow, no hype at all. Can't believe it's only 15 days away.

I am just gonna wait for the next WC, which will be a TRUE WC. Even the one after that, in '19. Aus + NZ and Eng has the best cricket grounds in the world, good coverage. South Africa one will be very cultural '23

Enough with this true WC nonsense. Subcontinent has been the home to some of the greatest ever cricketing encounters, both in Test and ODI cricket. The game is the absolute strongest in the subcontinent with ~ 1.5++ billion people passionately following the game. The stadiums are fine, you would be hardpressed to find many places better than the stadium in Bangalore or Chennai.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The group stages could be a bit of drab. In 1996, they had 12 teams and should have continued the same tradition here as well. Here we have 14 teams which will add to 12 extra matches. Unless the Associates pull out something miraculous the matches would be dead rubber ones.

However, I prefer this format ,as there would be a return to the QF stage. This means that no team can manipulate the outcome of others by means of points carried forth or anything of that sort. After the Groups stage, each match will be keenly contested as it serves as a direct entry into the Final game. So, this won't be a dead-rubber tournament unlike the last one.

In 2007, the S-8's saw the 4 semi-finalists directly. Bangladesh and Ireland would never have made it to the semi stage. And with the form that the hosts and the English were in, it was hard to expect them to sail through as well. So, most of the matches played then ended up in dead-rubbers.

stefan

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I like the knockout format as opposed to the super 8 but the group stages are boring but this applies to most sport. The group stages in the football and rugby world cups are also very predictable. The real action starts with the knockouts.

P

pcfan123

The stadiums are fine, you would be hardpressed to find many places better than the stadium in Bangalore or Chennai.

lol I disagree with this, my university football stadium is WAY WAY nicer than anything I have ever seen in the sub continent.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
That was blind comment...

Budget for Cowboys stadium's bigass screen = 3 sub con. stadium.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
MacLovin, give the tournament a chance. We people in the subcontinent love the sport more than anyone else on the planet. As for the stadia, our best stadia are not even hosting any games. The DY Patil Stadium is one of the best in the world and it is the part of a university campus. Check out the IPL final of last year and you would know which venue I`m talking about. It was rated as one of the top 5 stadia in the world by a UK newspaper. The stadium at Hyderabad is another beautiful facility. Nagpur and the New Wankhede Stadium are fabulous new venues as well. Chennai has been renovated fully and actually reminds me of Adelaide Oval with the new stands now. So please stop writing it off before it even begins.

The Eden Gardens was a disgrace, I agree but the others are all mostly very good. Im sure that the venues in SL and Bangla will be as good as well. Just wait for it to begin.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I agree. The actual success of an sporting event relies on its games. A good game can instantly bring all hype and excitement to a tournament. Wish we have these brilliant games at the start of the tournament that spark up interest. I actually like the little bit of underplayed calmness to the tournament so far.

King Cricket

International Coach
Glitz and glamour alone can't make a tournament successful. If you want an example, just look at the 2007 Cricket World Cup. The subcontinent is waiting with bated breath for the WC to begin, and there has been nothing to suggest that this will not be an outstanding sporting event.

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
After the Groups stage, each match will be keenly contested as it serves as a direct entry into the Final game. So, this won't be a dead-rubber tournament unlike the last one.

Yeah, I agree the QF will make it exciting - but the finals are the only last 7 games. That means that more than half the tournament is the group stage - and with no big upset expected - the majority of this tournament will be a dead-rubber, just like the last one.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
lol I disagree with this, my university football stadium is WAY WAY nicer than anything I have ever seen in the sub continent.

Cricket stadium. :rolleyes

----------

The Eden Gardens was a disgrace, I agree but the others are all mostly very good. Im sure that the venues in SL and Bangla will be as good as well. Just wait for it to begin.

Tbh Eden doesnt even look that bad from the outside

127991.jpg

I'm sure once it is done it'll be kickass.

You can't compare it to the cowboys stadium and all that....who has $1 Billion to spend??

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Cricket stadium. :rolleyes

MCG....

And we aren't just talking about "looks", we are talking about quality as well. Just go read what Sohum said "Kolkata" thread, rest of you guys are being biased.

UAE should hold a WC. Even with all that heat, they manage to keep their grass GREEN (not brown!!) in middle of the desert, you can see the effort they put in. And they don't even have a freaking cricket team. (or a shitty one)

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Brown grass!!! Seriously... Are you still living in 90's.
Here Check out
PCA Mohali
800pxlightsmohali.png

292099717bbKAee_fs.jpg

Chepauk
Image1440.jpg

Dharmshala
P1000647.JPG

Enough grass for you :p

P

pcfan123

now show that picture of the workers "huts" and the deplorable conditions they live and work in.

ferg512

International Coach
I really hope the sub continent dont f**k this up though. It looks as though Eden Gardens still isn't ready. It would have been really good if this one was in Australia just because we don't even know if proper one day cricket will still be around in 2015.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
now show that picture of the workers "huts" and the deplorable conditions they live and work in.

That is just how it is in every construction project in India. It isn't deplorable, the workers choose to live there as it sure beats commuting from their villages every morning!

My grandpa is building an office complex in Chennai and there are these so called 'huts' there too. They choose to live that way.

Users who are viewing this thread