The Dead-Rubber WC?

P

pcfan123

someone should show those pictures to the day laborers here :p

They don't have it too bad comparatively.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That is just how it is in every construction project in India. It isn't deplorable, the workers choose to live there as it sure beats commuting from their villages every morning!

My grandpa is building an office complex in Chennai and there are these so called 'huts' there too. They choose to live that way.

That is so true. My university had a new library constructed last year. During that period, workers created houses of solid brick and cement near the construction area. They used the material which is supposed to be used for the construction and when construction was complete they had to be forcefully removed from the campus. They were behaving as if they own the place. :facepalm
I think it is the whole system which is to be blamed here. The contractor for any construction gets 99 percent of his workers from "Bihar". Anyone living in metros has seen trains from Bihar overloaded with people. You may ask why go to so much trouble? Well because Workers from Bihar are ultra cheap because of massive unemployment there.Hence they agree to work for peanuts. So they brought them here and give such measly sum of money. They provide no accommodation for them. So a poor worker who is away from home has to save money, use money for daily meal and then he would also think about paying some rent?? I dont think so. So they create these huts.

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
But still the amount of money the board boasts to have, they should really make the stadiums one of the best in world. These can't be compared to MCG, Lords.

P

pcfan123

if Dubai can put the up the Burg Khalifa in less than 5 years, then India can at least build a monumental cricket stadium in 10 :p

It's only a matter of time, I bet when they do make a grandiose one, it'll put the MCG to shame. In a few decades maybe, unless the UAE decide to build something.

The world is long overdue for a MASSIVE stadium, nothing is really that impressive anymore, even college football stadiums hold 100k plus in a few venues.

India would be the perfect place to build a colossal 200k capacity stadium with crazy stands, cause they'd actually fill the place up for a 2020.

What does the BCCI do with all the money it makes btw? don't tell me they invest it in domestic cricket

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The flat pitches in India could make way for large totals and thrilling run-chases, I would love it if we get a myriad 300+ scores in this WC.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah.. Only stadium which can come close to MCG in sheer capacity is Eden Garden. 100000 crowd really creates a unbelievable atmosphere. Perfect setting for winning against South Africa. :p

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
if Dubai can put the up the Burg Khalifa in less than 5 years, then India can at least build a monumental cricket stadium in 10 :p

It's only a matter of time, I bet when they do make a grandiose one, it'll put the MCG to shame. In a few decades maybe, unless the UAE decide to build something.

The world is long overdue for a MASSIVE stadium, nothing is really that impressive anymore, even college football stadiums hold 100k plus in a few venues.

India would be the perfect place to build a colossal 200k capacity stadium with crazy stands, cause they'd actually fill the place up for a 2020.

What does the BCCI do with all the money it makes btw? don't tell me they invest it in domestic cricket

It can only be a dream for India, with the kind of management here. Everything here is corrupted including government lol so I doubt if India could ever build the best cricket stadium ever.They have the money but not the will. Not being a cynic but thats the situation here.

King Cricket

International Coach
TBH, the DY Patil Stadium in Mumbai looks pretty world class, and the same with a number of other grounds like that one in Nagpur. Even the Eden looks state of the art now, with all renovation work being complete. Issues like spectator amenities have been paid heed to this time (as it's a must by ICC) and there should not be any problems.

Bottomline, I just don't get why this puerile bickering about stadiums has suddenly inundated PC in the last moment. Our stadiums, plus the renovations, are quite close to being excellent. Just drop the cynicism.

Last edited:

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Not a fan of this format really given too many dead rubbers are there for the taking . I would have preferred a format similar to that of the Fifa WC . Group stages consisting of 16 teams divided into 4 groups each , each playing their opposing group opponents twice and then on , a knockout till the grand finale ! This is how it should have been worked out .

Number of games = 48 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 55.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Playing the group opponents twice was my preference given it eliminates all probabilities of an upset going to the QF . However if the number of games is felt excess ,then they could as well play each group opponent once . The number of games is then reduced to 31.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Not a fan of this format really given too many dead rubbers are there for the taking . I would have preferred a format similar to that of the Fifa WC . Group stages consisting of 16 teams divided into 4 groups each , each playing their opposing group opponents twice and then on , a knockout till the grand finale ! This is how it should have been worked out .

Number of games = 48 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 55.

The Asian Bloc did not want this. Imagine should India and Sri Lanka crash out in Round 1 of a World Cup hosted by these two countries. The revenues would go spiraling down.

The ICC had to give in to a format change which ensure max participation of India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan, esp when the WC is in the SC, else they would have to bear the brunt of yet another sorry tournament.

I do not mind having the above format for the ICC World T20s though,seeing as you would want to take the game to different places.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
The Asian Bloc did not want this. Imagine should India and Sri Lanka crash out in Round 1 of a World Cup hosted by these two countries. The revenues would go spiraling down.

Thats why i suggested they play each group opponent twice . So even if there exists an upset by losing to a minnow nation once , there isn't a possibility to lose a second time and thereby the strong nations can still make it to the QFs .

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
It is quite interesting to note the BCCI CAO's thoughts on this -Format designed keeping top teams in mind

This was expected after the 2007 debacle.

What is also quite interesting to note is the fact that each World Cup since 1987 has seen a new format. One may argue over the similarities between the formats of 1999 and 2003, with the only difference being in the number of teams participating.

Users who are viewing this thread