The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
South Africa dominated England in England

South Africa did not dominate us bar the one test match. In the first match England were easily on top and the only reason S.A saved it was due to a simply brilliant knock by Graeme Smith in the fourth Innings

angryangy

ICC Chairman
South Africa did not dominate us bar the one test match. In the first match England were easily on top and the only reason S.A saved it was due to a simply brilliant knock by Graeme Smith in the fourth Innings
Smith and McKenzie and Amla... England may have scored nearly 600, but they ended up bowling for the final 3 days of the match.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
He meant the 3rd Test ;) Where Smith made a very hard fought century to lead his side to victory. There's no point even discussing the Lord's Test match, every Test ends in a draw nowadays, we've not seen a result since the brilliance of McGrath in 2005. The only Test in that series that South Africa comfortably won was the 2nd, and that was pretty comprehensive.

jordox

International Cricketer
It's funny how the haters, such as yourself start showing up as soon as Australia starts to deteriorate. Congratulations on Australia's misfortune - I hope it makes your life just that little bit better.

You're calling me a hater because I think Australia aren't the best anymore?

Oookkkaaay.

Or are you calling me a hater because I said you are going to have to come down from the clouds like you have been the last few years. That's in no way an insult, is it? I think it's fair to say all fans of Australian cricket were in the clouds, why wouldn't they be?

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Agree with jordox, the Australian Team has been up in the clouds for the last decade as they have been brilliant and easily the best team in the world but as they've come down to being either of the same ability or worse than South Africa and India you've reacted to anyone saying this as being insultive and arrogant while people such as World Champions has just carried on bleating about how unlucky they have been which just isn't true.

Highlander999

ICC President
Agree with jordox, the Australian Team has been up in the clouds for the last decade as they have been brilliant and easily the best team in the world but as they've come down to being either of the same ability or worse than South Africa and India you've reacted to anyone saying this as being insultive and arrogant while people such as World Champions has just carried on bleating about how unlucky they have been which just isn't true.

That is actually a very accurate summary.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
We haven't been unlucky. i think most of us know that. But the majority of us know that we will be back soon, and just like every other team, we have hit a bump and lost a few series. So yes, our invincibility is over, but I wouldn't say our dominance is.

JD10

International Cricketer
The reason the won't be as sucessful as the past years because in bowling attack it is really weakened with the losses of McGrath and Warne. There best in-form bowler is Johnson. They really really need to get some talent through the ranks if they want to keep up, with the likes of India and South Africa.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
But so did South Africa, they get down to the tail cheaply and them when they are in command, they let the tail prosper and get Australia's total from terrible to good. Imagine is South Africa took the wickets of the tail which are generally easier for 50 runs, Australia would have struggled to get 300 runs.

But the fact is that the difference between Australia and the rest of the world was that when it counts, they shined through but if that is gone, then a team will struggle to win.
The point of my post was not to say we were the better team, it was to say that we were at various stages of the game capable of taking the match, and the fact that we failed comes down to a few poor performances, but with the right changes we can get better. We still have the strongest domestic competition in the world, and we can produce new youngsters that will get us back to being a very good team, maybe even the best.

karnog

International Cricketer
Lol. Just a glimpse of title tussle of the future. I'd imagine India, South Africa and Australia would be the main contenders.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
South Africa are just letting themselves get rolled over. Poor bowling for the most part, terrible batting, and a Superman Johnson tearing them apart. Hughes too. RSA have been pulverised...

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
South Africa have not turned up to play this series and have been taken by surprise.

What Australia can be happy about is that the young players have come in and made an impact. Hughes has been a revelation at the top of the order and the worries of Hayden's replacement have been put to bed, North has looked a class act at Number 6 and Hilfenhaus has bowled with great control and has swung the ball, which will make him a handful in the Ashes.

Johnson has come on leaps and bounds as well and is becoming an all rounder. They just need to get a good spinner and they'll be a force in the cricketing world once again.

Users who are viewing this thread