The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
Is this the End of the Aussie dominance in world cricket?
With Warne and Mcgrath retiring,australia will find it hard to bowl sides out unless jason gillespie and kasprowicz find their old form,

I think that they will win some matches but it will mostly be draws or losses

More draws cos of the power of their batting but who knows maybe the remainder of Dads Army might follow their lead,

i said this a couple of weeks ago when martyn retired that others will follow him very soon

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Before the Ashes I might have said that but seeing as Aus were able to pull players of the calibre Hussey and Clarke out of midair I suspect they won't be in too bad shape.

rickyp

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
an uneducated answer would be to say that Australia are wrecked, but once your realise that Aus A are the 2nd best side in the world, that opinion will change quickly

manee

Chairman of Selectors
They have deadly young bowlers in Johnson, Clark and Tait; and Jaques, Haddin and Clarke in the batting department. And with Ponting and Hussey with a few years left, I do not think Australian cricket dominance is dead just yet.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
The rest of the world must be rubbing their hands to geta crack at the aussies

now the series against india and pakistan will really be interesting next year

brad352

Executive member
It's unreasonable to expect the same level of dominance, equally it's ridiculous to expect us to plummet down the rankings- we've got the best talent identification programs and the strongest domestic competition in the world, the only reason for this perception of limited depth is because we've had so many players with their names pencilled in indefinitely that the players dominating at first class level don't even get a look in.

unless jason gillespie and kasprowicz find their old form,
I'm confused how you got those names, did you decide to pick a couple of bowlers out of a hat to try and make a point? The chances of either being picked again are slim to nil
They have deadly young bowlers......Clark
And with Ponting and Hussey with a few years left
Ponting Hussey and Clark are roughly the same age, why is only one young?

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Sorry. I thought Clark was younger. My mistake. But still, all three have at least 4 years left.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
rickyp said:
an uneducated answer would be to say that Australia are wrecked, but once your realise that Aus A are the 2nd best side in the world, that opinion will change quickly
:D

You wish mate, a bunch of journeymen is not the answer. Let's stick Dominic Thornely into a Test and see how he gets on shall we?

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
When Ponting and Mike Hussey retires is when i'll start looking forward to playing Australia for a change. No doubt they'll unearth some other freakishly good players during that time.

guy gorilla

School Cricketer
New Australia

As Brad says it takes more than the retirement of two players to make Australia plummet in the rankings.But one thing is for sure the likes of Warne and McGrath,you don't,replace players of that magnitude,they are truly all time greats questionably the greatest of their trades to have ever held a cricket ball.But the fact is they are still producing and finding more talent then the rest of the other top cricketing nations vitually put together.I think the main demise in the english talent production line is the fact that most of the comprehensive schools do not even play cricket anymore,local clubs and places to to play among the working classes have dwindled and I'm afraid that is where we used to find perhaps 75% of our young talent.Even with the introduction of faster paced cricket(20-20,one day)I honestly think the appeal to actually play the game is at the moment nationally a lost cause.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
not in fast bowling they are not

india and england i aint sure what they are producing as they are a mixed package

aussies are unearthing more better batsmen than bowlers

and pakistan are carrying on like always

no batsmen but plenty of devastating bowlers

Iron-Haggis

Club Cricketer
MUFC1987 said:
:D

You wish mate, a bunch of journeymen is not the answer. Let's stick Dominic Thornely into a Test and see how he gets on shall we?

Mate don't say that. You're going to give selectors ideas just because he can bowl a bit.

not in fast bowling they are not

There are plenty of young improving fast bowlers around in the domestic competition. Glenn McGrath was not a legend while he was still domestic cricket and took him a bit in Tests to find his feet. Australia's biggest problem is finding a spin bowler of Test quality. MacGill won't be around for too much longer either.

aussies are unearthing more better batsmen than bowlers

As any nation should be. Notice how there are more batsmen in a team than bowlers.

Gambino I really wonder how closely you follow Australian domestic cricket.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
there is a reason they have constantly been producing quality players and the loss of mcgrath and warne won't stop that however i certainly think the world rankings will be looking a lot more competive in the years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread