Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This tournament is such a meme
The constant 'spin' on SKY/ECB/BBC is tiresome. It's good cricket (although the men's has been mixed) but the constant portrayal that ONLY The Hundred could give you this level entertainment, these crowds and such excitement ruins it for me.

It's the kind of propaganda I'd expect from the IPL commentators. :lol

chiefdave

School Cricketer
The constant 'spin' on SKY/ECB/BBC is tiresome. It's good cricket (although the men's has been mixed) but the constant portrayal that ONLY The Hundred could give you this level entertainment, these crowds and such excitement ruins it for me.

It's the kind of propaganda I'd expect from the IPL commentators. :lol
Exactly this. The line now seems to be that as the cricket itself is good the whole thing is an incredible success but nobody really doubted the cricket would be an issue, its only 20 balls less than T20.

The big question is how this impacts on the rest of domestic cricket. Will members keep paying hundreds every year to watch games in April and September, will Blast attendances be hit, not to mention the farce that this years one day cup is.

Some of us are old enough to remember when the domestic competitions were overhauled as we were playing different formats to those played at international level and it was deemed poor preparation for England players. We're now heading towards a T20 World Cup by playing a different format.

I see nothing in The Hundred that couldn't have been achieved with a revamped Blast competition. We had a lot of added entertainment when the Blast first started and it will no doubt drop away as it did them. The whole thing seems a way to get the game back on free to air TV without upsetting Sky.

You could achieve pretty much the same number of FTA televised games with a second T20 tournament. Say 4 teams representing regions: North playing out of Headingly & Old Trafford; Midlands out of Trent Bridge & Edgbaston; South East our of Lords & The Oval and South West out of Rose Bowl & Sophia Gardens. You could have a round robin then qualifier (2nd v 3rd) and final. That gives you 8 games for TV and you can have the whole thing over in a couple of weeks meaning you can have the top players in for the whole tournament. That's just one idea off the top of my head that doesn't require wholesale changes to the domestic game.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Watched my first match from start to finish last night. It honestly feels like they have complicated the game, and not simplified it. The overlay feels like its on android high contrast mode. You see less of the game because of those towers on the left and right of the screen. The cricket in general seems alright. There is no improvement which is being claimed by the commentators who seem to be faking their excitement

Maybe its my bias towards regular overs and innings cricket, but the overs split gave the game a structure. The runs per over makes you understand the requirement of the batting team better than runs per ball. Now it feels like gali cricket to me.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Watched my first match from start to finish last night. It honestly feels like they have complicated the game, and not simplified it. The overlay feels like its on android high contrast mode. You see less of the game because of those towers on the left and right of the screen. The cricket in general seems alright. There is no improvement which is being claimed by the commentators who seem to be faking their excitement

Maybe its my bias towards regular overs and innings cricket, but the overs split gave the game a structure. The runs per over makes you understand the requirement of the batting team better than runs per ball. Now it feels like gali cricket to me.
Exactly, "runs per ball" makes it much harder to calculate what the chasing team needs. Seems like a new statistic they came up with, just for the sake of it, rather than having a logic behind it.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I was sceptical about the Phoenix's chances but they seem to be the only team who have been able to fully go for it. Smeed, Allen, Moeen and Livingstone is a really good top four.

Moeen has been lethal tonight.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Absolutely great entertainment at Headingley in that first innings. John Simpson (71 from 28) absolutely belting Steve Finn (15 balls 51 runs) all over the place. First score of 200 and Manchester McCoy's dropping everything.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
How is the 100 going folks ? Excitement ebbing away or building up towards the final?

Haven't been able to follow it at all

Users who are viewing this thread