The International Football Story - World Cup 2010

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
THE INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL STORY

Hello and welcome to a brand new story - my first in some time.

The story will aim to do exactly what it says on the tin - provide you with an insight into international football and its various qualifiers and tournaments through FM10.

I will predominantly focus on the World Cup, the European Championships, the related European qualifying groups and the Four Associations' Tournament. However, I shall also bring reports on the rest of the World Cup qualifying tournaments and the various continental tournaments: The Copa America, The African Cup of Nations, The Asian Cup, The Gold Cup, The OCE Nations Cup and many more...

The story will feature a mixture of news reports, match previews/reports, tournament information and player information.

It will be played from a purely neutral perspective (I will not be managing a team) - and I for one am looking forward to seeing if the game can bring about some shocks!

Next up...The 2010 Fifa World Cup from South Africa
Featuring the Group Stage draw, World Cup odds and previews and of course, the actual tournament itself!

Last edited:

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Is this actually Rhys? When have you done stories? Good luck with this, will be a very interesting read.

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
Oh - it's been a long time Giggity. A very long time indeed, but some of the older members will remember some of my numerous attempts at various different kinds of story. Suffice to say some were more successful than others!

The World Cup Draw later today...

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Wow Rhys, I am very excited to see how this goes. This is something new and good luck.

Imager36

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think this could be good, but it might be a bit hard to feel 'involved' with it being from a neutral point of view

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
Thanks for your kind words so far...hopefully the detail of some of the tournaments will enable you to feel 'invovled', but we'll see how it goes!

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
FifaWC2010Banner.png

Friday 11 December 2009

2010 FIFA World Cup Draw - LIVE!

11:00GMT - Proceedings are underway here in Cape Town! FIFA Online would like to welcome you to our live text commentary of the Group Stage draw. Dignitaries from the participating nations are all present, along with thousands of journalists from all over the globe. The event has started with a video celebrating the history of the FIFA World Cup, starting with Uruguay's victory on home soil in 1930 all the way through to Italy's shock triumph in Germany three years ago.

11:12GMT - Our World Cup hosts in June/July 2010 are South Africa, and Charlize Theron, Academy Award winning actress, steps onto the stage to get the draw underway.

11:14GMT - Charlize introduces us to the various ex-footballers and stars who are helping to draw the teams from the four different pots. Speaking of which, here are the pots...and there could be some tasty groups lined up with heavyweights facing each other during the group stage:

Pots listed in reverse order from the order of the draw:

Pot A: BRAZIL, PORTUGAL, ARGENTINA, RUSSIA, FRANCE, ITALY, SERBIA, SPAIN
Pot B: NETHERLANDS, ENGLAND, PARAGUAY, AUSTRALIA, SWEDEN, GERMANY, USA, GHANA
Pot C: CHILE, MEXICO, CANADA, EGYPT, NORTHERN IRELAND, SWITZERLAND, GREECE, ECUADOR
Pot D: MOROCCO, CAMEROON, SOUTH AFRICA, SAUDIA ARABIA, TUNISIA, SOUTH KOREA, NORTH KOREA, JAPAN

11:20GMT - Joseph S. Blatter, FIFA President, takes to the stage to introduce a short video detailing the different locations for matches in South Africa. This is followed by one of Sepp's famous speeches [ahem]

11:25GMT - Finally, about ten minutes later than it should have, the draw is properly underway. Check out Beckham in that suit...and Charlize, just wow!

Beckham.jpg

11:30GMT - Right. First off is Pot D - can any of these hopefuls (including the hosts) actually work their way out of what will be very tough groups. Cameroon reached the quarter finals in 1990 and South Korea finished fourth in 2002.

11:32GMT - The first four teams from Pot D have been drawn - this is how the groups are looking:

GROUP A - Tunisia; GROUP B - Morocco; GROUP C - Cameroon; GROUP D - South Korea

11:33GMT - Three of the six African teams have already been drawn. The world's fans are certainly hoping that the 2010 FIFA World Cup will be a breakthrough year for the African Federation.

11:34GMT - Pot D is completed...here are the remaining groups so far:

GROUP E - North Korea; GROUP F - South Africa; GROUP G - Japan; GROUP H - Saudi Arabia

11:40GMT - Pot C rushed through here...typical Beckham. Pot C entrants in italics

GROUP A - Northern Ireland, Tunisia
GROUP B - Canada, Morocco
GROUP C - Switzerland, Cameroon
GROUP D - Egypt, South Korea
GROUP E - Chile, North Korea
GROUP F - Ecuador, South Africa
GROUP G - Greece, Japan
GROUP H - Mexico, Saudi Arabia

11:43GMT - We seem to be having a few technical issues at the moment out in Cape Town, and the draw is being delayed for a few minutes. Oh...wait, it's a toilet stop for Charlize. Beckham is following...we'll update you if there's anything more on that front!

11:47GMT - Nope. 100% JUST a toilet break. Victoria, everything is fine! So, now Michel Platini to draw the teams from Pot B - including some very high profile European teams. Sweden were beaten finalists in 1958, England won the World Cup in 1966 and Germany...need I say more?

11:50GMT - Excellent job there, Mr Platini (who happens to be kitted in official UEFA gear this afternoon!). Here are the updated groups:

GROUP A - Paraguay, Northern Ireland, Tunisia
GROUP B - Sweden, Canada, Morocco
GROUP C - Australia, Switzerland, Cameroon
GROUP D - Serbia, Egypt, South Korea
GROUP E - England, Chile, North Korea
GROUP F - USA, Ecuador, South Africa
GROUP G - Ghana, Greece, Japan
GROUP H - Germany, Mexico, Saudi Arabia

11:52GMT - There are some very tough looking groups out there for the big teams from Pot A. Of course there are the big clashes with England and Germany. However, Group C features some highly ranked teams and could provide some tough games. Group D has a solid European qualifier, one of the top African nations and possibly the best Asian qualifier. Group B on the other hand, looks to provide an easy route to the second round.

11:56GMT - Pot A is being drawn as we speak by Benni McCarthy, one of South Africa's top players.

GROUP A - Italy, Paraguay, Northern Ireland, Tunisia - this looks to provide a fairly easy route for the defending champions. Though the other three have potential to cause problems, particularly Northern Ireland.
GROUP B - Russia, Sweden, Canada, Morocco - Russia seem to have been handed the 'easy' draw.
GROUP C - Brazil, Australia, Switzerland, Cameroon - the five-time winners have been handed a draw in arguably the toughest pool, however, they should still qualify. No idea who'll come second, though!
GROUP D - Netherlands, Serbia, Egypt, South Korea - the somewhat struggling Netherlands are drawn into a very tough pool. It's between C and D for the 'pool of death' at the moment. They may struggle to escape this one.

GROUP E - France, England, Chile, North Korea - France v England. Now that is a very tasty group game. Chile could cause problems for the leading two, however, North Korea will be home after their first two games.
GROUP F - Portugal, USA, Ecuador, South Africa - You'd have money on Portugal seeing their way through this relatively simple group. However, one certainly hopes to see a good performance from the hosts.
GROUP G - Spain, Ghana, Greece, Japan - The European Champions will face battles in all three of these games. But the Spanish should qualify, along with Ghana.
GROUP H - Argentina, Germany, Mexico, Saudi Arabia - Argentina v Germany. Even tastier than France v England. These two are big rivals and will be playing for first and second in the group. Ironically enough, Argentina faced Mexico in the Last 16 in 2006 before losing to Germany on penalties in the Quarter Finals.

12:00GMT - So, that's it. The draw is over. There are some very exciting, tough pools (looking at you Pools C and D) and some corkers in other groups. FIFA is very much looking forward to this World Cup getting underway on June 11 2010. See you there!

Next Update: BBC Sport Preview of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa - 9th June 2010.

harrisb

International Coach
good stuff so far rhys, it will be interesting to see how England get on against the french

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
BBCWC10.png

Wednesday 9 June 2010, 15:43 BST

Mark Lawrenson's World Cup Preview

Here we are. It's been months since the groups for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa were drawn, and now the excitement is about to begin with the opening match from Group A (Italy v Paraguay, live on BBC1 this Friday afternoon) set to cause an incredible buzz around the Rainbow Nation.​

It's my job in this piece to take you through the eight different groups, assessing each team's chances in their individual groups, and (of course) predicting which teams will qualify for the Last 16 too.​

So let's start from the very beginning -​

Group A:

ITALY
World Ranking: 5
Previous Best: Winners 1934, 1938, 1982, 2006
Players to watch for: Buffon, Chiellini
Odds: 15/1

The defending champions don't seem to posess enough quality in their rapidly aging squad to defend the title they won in Germany in 2006, however, as a European giant, they may once again shock us all.

PARAGUAY
World Ranking: 14
Previous Best: Last 16 1986, 1998, 2002
Players to watch for: Santa Cruz, Caceres
Odds: 50/1

Paraguay have qualified for their fourth consecutive World Cup appearance and will be looking to build on successes in France and South Korea/Japan with a minimum aim of reaching the Last 16 yet again.

NORTHERN IRELAND
World Ranking: 25
Previous Best: Quarter Finals 1958, 1982
Player to watch out for: Jonny Evans
Odds: 100/1

This is Northern Ireland's first World Cup appearance since Argentina in 1986, and they will be looking to emulate their past successes in reaching the Last 8. However, it will be difficult to qualify from a group containing Paraguay and Italy.

TUNISIA
World Ranking: 38
Previous Best: Group Stage 1978, 1998, 2002, 2006
Player to watch out for: Nouioui
Odds: 250/1

Tunisia are, like Paraguay, appearing in their fourth consecutive World Cup. Unlike Paraguay, however, their record has been dreadful - with only three draws in the past three tournaments to speak of. They should struggle once again, but may yet sneak another draw or two.

Lawro's Prediction:
Italy should dominate the group and easily reach the Last 16. Second place is much harder to predict, but the experience of Paraguay should tell and they should be able to qualify. Tunisia will gain at least one draw again.

GROUP B:

RUSSIA
World Ranking: 8
Previous Best: Group Stage 1994, 2002
Players to watch out for: Arshavin, Akinfeev
Odds: 25/1

The Russians are one of the top-ranked European teams at this year's tournament, having easily come through qualifying. They reached the last four in Euro 2008 and Guus Hiddink will be looking to build on that success in South Africa.

SWEDEN
World Ranking: 10
Previous Best: Runner-up 1958
Player to watch out for: Ibrahimovic
Odds: 33/1

The Swedes have reached the last 16 at the past two World Cups, and look dead-certs to reach the second round again this year. The encounter with Russia should be thrilling as the two teams are so closely ranked.

MOROCCO
World Ranking: 35
Previous Best: Last 16 1986
Player to watch for: Konko

The North African nation may be able to cause a shock, however, they will struggle in a group containing two excellent European nations. They are the 3rd highest ranked African nation at the tournament, though.

CANADA
World Ranking: 41
Previous Best: Group Stage 1986
Player to watch out for: David Edgar
Odds: 500/1

The Canadians have never been a force on the international stage, and were lucky to qualify via a playoff against New Zealand. However, now they have been provided with the opportunity, they will look to cause an upset or two.

Lawro's Prediction:
I'm going to suggest Sweden for the top spot as I think they will draw with Russia, but have a better goal difference after large wins over Morocco and Canada. Russia will coast into second spot. Morocco will end in third.

More soon...​

Last edited:

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
BBCWC10.png

Wednesday 9 June 2010, 15:43 BST

Continued...

GROUP C: The Group of Death (I)

BRAZIL
World Ranking: 1
Previous Best: Winners 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002
Player to watch out for: Kaka
Odds: 4/1F

Brazil once again enter a World Cup tournament as favourites. However, they have been handed an incredibly tough group and may struggle to qualify. However, their squad certainly possesses the talent to go all the way this year.

SWITZERLAND
World Ranking: 7
Previous Best: Quarter Finals 1934, 1938, 1954
Player to watch out for: Tranquillo Bonetta
Odds: 25/1

Although they have not performed particularly well in recent World Cups, the Swiss come into the first African World Cup as one of UEFA's form teams. They sailed through qualification and will be looking to upset favourites Brazil in an effort to reach the second round.

CAMEROON
World Ranking: 9
Previous Best: Quarter Finals 1990
Players to watch out for: Eto'o, Bassong
Odds: 40/1

Cameroon are the third nation in Group C within the top 10 of the FIFA World Rankings. This is going to be a tense group, and the Africans are certainly strong enough to reach the Quarter Finals and beyond...

AUSTRALIA
World Ranking: 32
Previous Best: Last 16 2006
Player to watch out for: Tim Cahill
Odds: 125/1

Clearly the outsiders in this 'group of death'. However, ranked 32nd in the world, Australia are a good, solid side. They performed admirably in Germany in 2006 and will be looking to build on this in South Africa.

Lawro's Prediction: This group is impossibly hard to predict. All four teams are capable of going a long way in this competition. However, it's hard to look beyond five-times winners Brazil to qualify in first place from the group because they have some genuinely world-class talent. It's going to be a tough fight to the end for second place, but as the tournament is taking place in Africa, I'm going to place my bet on Cameroon to join Brazil in the Last 16.

GROUP D: The Group of Death (II)

SERBIA
World Ranking: 13
Previous Best: Fourth Place 1962 (as Yugoslavia)
Player to watch out for: Nemanja Vidic

Serbia are odds-on to qualify from this group. They are one of Europe's most solid, top teams. However, in such a tough group featuring the last winner of the Africa Cup of Nations and perhaps the best Asian nation, qualifying is not going to be easy.

NETHERLANDS
World Ranking: 37
Previous Best: Runner-up 1974, 1978
Players to watch out for: Robben, van Persie

The Netherlands really struggled to qualify for the World Cup finals, as shown by their rather lowly FIFA ranking. However, anything can happen at the finals - as they showed when they burst onto the scene in 1974.

EGYPT
World Ranking: 43
Previous Best: Group Stage 1934, 1990
Player to watch out for: Zaki
Odds: 66/1

The Egyptians are one of Africa's best nations - but have had a very poor World Cup record in recent times, having not qualified since 1990. Maybe this is the year they turn it around - though this seems unlikely in such a tough group. Can they even score a goal?

SOUTH KOREA
World Ranking: 63
Previous Best: Fourth Place 2002
Player to watch out for: Park Ji-Sung

The South Koreans look highly unlikely to emulate their massive success on home soil in 2002. However, this is their seventh consecutive World Cup finals - a splendid effort from the small south-east Asian nation. Perhaps they can escape from this tough group?

Lawro's Prediction:
Yet another tough group that is difficult to call. However, I can't look beyond the two European nations Serbia and the Netherlands. Despite the Netherlands struggles in qualifying, I feel they will have enough to see off an aged Egyptian team and a weaker South Korea team.

More soon...

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
I'm pretty much doing this on the SI forums, just following all the leagues. I did say that I was doing that in the "Soon on PlanetCricket" thread and asked if I should post it over here but now that you have started one pretty similar, there's probably no need.

And why do Australia always get the tough groups?

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
I'm pretty much doing this on the SI forums, just following all the leagues. I did say that I was doing that in the "Soon on PlanetCricket" thread and asked if I should post it over here but now that you have started one pretty similar, there's probably no need.

And why do Australia always get the tough groups?

Oh that's cool mate. Well if it's one following the leagues, and not just all the international tournaments, then I reckon you should go ahead!

And yeah, Australia ALWAYS get the tough groups!

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Nothing wrong with two similar stories if they're both good :)

Looking gurrd so far Rhys. Really liked the idea of the live world cup draw. Nice to see a bit of humour in there as well.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Nah. It was just all the international tournaments pretty much. Except for the youth tournaments. And I'm fine. I might start posting it after a while. Anyway, good luck with this and hope you can go a fair way.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Good start Rhys, and great idea of the World Cup Draw. The Draw looks very interesting and OMG England and France along with Chile. Hopefully the Three Lions can qualify as the leaders of the group.

Users who are viewing this thread