Draft: The Quotea Draft

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Well yes I thought about going off piste, but the possibility of both adding to my “Quotea” as well as picking one of the best and most destructive batsmen of all time leaves me no choice but to go for a certain Basil D’Oliveira.

As I always say, no matter how good you think he was, he was better.

If you’ve never read Peter Oborne’s biography, you should do so. He also gets a lot of mentions in Andrew Murtagh’s biography of Tom Graveney, Touched by Greatness. Another book you should read if you haven’t.
@Dale88

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Jacques-Kallis-of-South-Africa-walks-off-in-his-final-test-match-after-scoring-his-45th-661.jpg

:saf: :ar: Jacques Kallis

Test stats: 13,289 runs @ 55.37 (45 centuries, best 224) and 292 wickets @ 32.65 (5 5WI, best 6/54) in 166 matches
First-class stats: 19,695 runs @ 54.10 (62 centuries, best 224) and 427 wickets @ 31.69 (8 5WI, best 6/54) in 257 matches

What do you get if you add Sachin Tendulkar and Zaheer Khan, then put the result into the body of an indestructible beefcake who plays in 90% of possible Test matches in his nearly 20-year career? The answer, if it wasn't obvious by the photo and title on this post, is Jacques Kallis, the best and greatest cricketer ever to play for South Africa. I know quotas are a thing but I'm still getting the best available name on the team sheet straight away.

3. :saf: :ar: Jacques Kallis

@Bevab

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Damn, there goes my pick.

Bevab

Staff Member
One important rule before I start my team selection.

First, I could pick a team filled with all-rounders to 'cover' for the lack of strong options among the quota players. It would be the best way to make the best team possible given the strength in depth among the white players. However, such thinking in a perverted way was what ultimately caused the downfall of South African cricket for it's racist policies and exclusion. Despite the eventual re-admission and quotas leading to a resurgence in interest among the more downtrodden communities, the lack of quality players is still staggering and points out to just how much work still needs to be done. And recent news of clubs and sides just picking players of color to bat them in the middle or even the lower order, have them bowl just 2-3 overs per day and essentially 'carry' them is shameful when such players were top quality batsmen in the top order for their respective sides or really skilled bowlers/all-rounders.

So with that in mind, I've decided to make sure that every person of color I select will play a role in my side. Does that mean my team will be weaker in comparison? Yes, but that is also the price to pay for having such a racist approach to cricket for decades, something that still carries till date with how the recent allegations in regards to the BLM movement have brought out ugly truths at the very highest level of cricket in the country. This does not mean that I will not pick a dual role cricketer at all, it depends on how my side looks going forward. However, I shall not be picking a half decent black batsman to bat him at eight or nine to strengthen the batting depth while having the bowling roles filled up by all-rounders in the middle order like in the Panesar draft. To do so myself when I've been a critic of the current issues plaguing South African issue would be hypocritical.

My first pick will be :saf::bat:Hashim Amla. Despite nearly three years of steep decline, he still averages 46 in test cricket and averaged above 50 at his peak. He remains the only South African to score a triple century in test cricket. In addition, at the peak of his powers over a four year period he was arguably the greatest batsman in the world and was the highest run-scorer in away tours for South Africa. Among cricketers who played in this century, there is no one with a better record than Amla in India, arguably the toughest place for a touring country to play in. A glittering career filled with glorious knocks ended with Amla being the second highest run-scorer in the country's history. More than that though, it was the impact Amla brought to the game of cricket with his calm, classy and composed attitude that deserves mention. A true giant of the game in every sense who will be remembered for years into the future.

@Parth D to continue.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
So with that in mind, I've decided to make sure that every person of color I select will play a role in my side.
I fully respect that and would encourage it for us all, although it's not technically necessary. I'm planning to stick to my usual approach of having each player have a clearly defined role in the side

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I'll pick Khaya Majola and Kevin Pietersen.
@ahmedleo414

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
RTX46ZK7_1200x768.png

:saf: :bwl: Vernon Philander :slvo:

Overshadowed with Steyn in the side. But don't just count him out

Team PD la Quotea:
:saf: :wkb: AB de Villiers
:saf: :bwl: Vernon Philander :slvo:

@Bevab

Last edited by a moderator:

Bevab

Staff Member
Philander is definitely not a black cricketer and should not be considered as one. An ATG who was on my radar but not surprised to see him picked up so early.

I shall pick :saf::ar:Clive Rice. In the absence of Kallis, he is the next best replacement player and is arguably much better than Kallis with the ball at the expense of being worse with the bat. At his peak, he was very capable of taking the new ball and also batting to score a century. A very versatile player who shall add much to the team balance. He shall bat at five in the team for now.

@Aislabie to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread